• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Terminology Rant

Sorry I'm tired !!!!!!!what I meant is if you just take it in and don't use it you're not going to hurt something but if you take it in and try to treat something then you could do harm

It doesn't work like that here. Good intentions are not enough when it comes to professional liability.

Then again if you are just an innocent bystander (off premises) not employed in such an operation, generally "Good Samaritan" laws may protect one from litigation. Where if a mistake is made, it's just a matter of who made it and how much they must pay for it either behind closed doors between attorneys and insurers or in front of a civil court of law. Assuming of course the animal is the property of another.

Last edited:
It doesn't work like that here. Good intentions are not enough when it comes to professional liability.

Where if a mistake is made, it's just a matter of who made it and how much they must pay for it either behind closed doors or in front of a court of law.
I didn't mean treating an animal with a vet does just with first-aid
Our laws about treating animals are very strict ,for instance a neurologist who treat humans can only observe an animal they cannot treat one even if the consultant veterinarian cannot treat the animal because of lack knowledge

I didn't mean treating an animal with a vet does just with first-aid
Our laws about treating animals are very strict ,for instance a neurologist who treat humans can only observe an animal they cannot treat one even if the consultant veterinarian cannot treat the animal because of lack knowledge

I wasn't talking about a vet, but rather someone who may work with them who applies what they think they know. It's not only potentially compromising for them, but for the vet they may work with.

In essence a non-vet working at a clinic who takes on responsibilities they aren't trained for may be exposed to more liability than someone who has no such professional knowledge at all and doesn't work in such a capacity. However in such a scenario it could potentially "boomerang" at the vet legally as well.

Though there's much more to the equation, but I'll save that for another thread. Back to the topic at hand...;)

Last edited:
I work for the National Autistic Society and as it happens the terminology the the UK to describe what was autistic people who were formally know to have special interest are now described as having passionate minds. I have been described as passionate many, many times.

The term bothers me also. I like your use of the name Billy Bob. Wouldn't we all be naturally more interested in or curious about things if our brains didn't stop us? So it's not some goofy trait...

I prefer the common words of "interest" and "hobby". I don't get worked up enough about something for it to be a special interest.

hans Asperger was a nazi collaborator don't like Asper anything
As I [read?] it, he interceded on behalf of his patients where he could, recommending their usefulness in cryptology so that they wouldn't be euthanized.

Hans Aspergers was not a Nazi collaborator any more than Oskar Schindler was, that is very unfair. The truth is that in such dangerous times decent of any kind could find you packed into a cattle truck for a very unpleasant train journey to a very uncertain future.

[Never having envisioned that the conversation about silly names would take such a dark turn, he tried to steer it away from the Third Reich and back toward the light.]

I'm partial to plain ol' "Aspie." It's unpretentious and friendly like a smile and a handshake.

I am fine with Aspie between us, not with NT's, I can imagine it being spat back at me one day. I will always describe myself as autistic to them

Hans Aspergers was not a Nazi collaborator any more than Oskar Schindler was, that is very unfair. The truth is that in such dangerous times decent of any kind could find you packed into a cattle truck for a very unpleasant train journey to a very uncertain future.
No it's not unfair you just have the information you have

I would be surprised if in a matter of a few years it was still popular to refer to people on the spectrum with much of any term beginning with the letters A-S-P.

After all, the DSM-V more or less swept Dr. Hans Asperger's name under a rug.

That's why I say I have "hobbies", "passions", "likes", etc. Nothing special about my interest, is there? Not exactly special or unique when it's shared by no less than several dozen other people, is it? Maybe for the intensity and the way I approach said things, which is not always in the same matter as the typical joe.

Maybe for the intensity and the way I approach said things, which is not always in the same matter as the typical joe.

Exactly. I suspect for many Neurotypicals this somehow alarms them. :rolleyes:

As if they have some imaginary gauge that automatically comes into play when we exceed a socially acceptable amount of enthusiasm for something. Perhaps another one of their unwritten rules over a social threshold which makes little or no sense to we on the spectrum of autism.

Which forces some of us to "temper" our passion for things in general in order to pacify Neurotypical mindsets. Something that has diminished the quality of my life over the years, even before I really understood it.

Ironic to be put down for not showing enough emotion at the proper time, and then having the opposite implied over how passionate we shouldn't be over a "special interest". :confused:

i feel like the term "special interest" is somewhat demeaning. does that make other hobbies that we aren't as passionate about mundane and boring? i think "current passion" is more appropriate, because we may have more than one interest, but may be overly passionate about just one topic, preferring to study others less frequently. i guess it's just the terms used by professionals, and the terms were just observations rather than labels, but i will agree that they do sound rather patronizing. Now, let's move on to the real issue here. who thought "aspergian" was a good idea? Whenever i say it i picture a prententious, 80 year old historian dude in a tweed suit with weird shoulder and elbow patches, smoking a fancy pipe and thinking he can make up cool words. it doesn't bring high-functioning people to mind at all. i'd honestly be happier being called "autistic" as an insult than recieve a compliment for being "aspergian." it's just so wrong somehow......xD

I hate the word "special" in general, contrary to popular belief Autistic people are NOT "special" (meaning "retarded or mentally incompetent), on the contrary some of us are cleverer than "normal" people (that's another one that winds me up, define "normal"?!)

New Threads

Top Bottom