• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Terminology Rant

Sadly some phrases and terms don't evolve kindly. The Post Office came up with the term "Special Handling" in the 1920s, but I'm afraid another group of folks in Germany hijacked the term in the 1940s.

Kinda soured me on much of anything deemed "special". Long before "The Church Lady" on SNL. Such words do indeed have very different connotations.

Am I the only person that actually likes the term "special interest"?

Special
1 :distinguished by some unusual quality; especially :being in some way superior

All due respect, I understand the reason for the negative connotation, so I certainly won't begrudge anyone that. But I am surprised there aren't more people like myself that appreciate the literal application. "Special interest" to me suggests that my interests are set apart, unique, and valuable.

It's almost like people have entirely reversed the meaning of the word "special". I see how it happened, but the dictionary definition is unchanged. Special is not a bad word. I haven't even heard it used as a serious insult since grade school in the 1980's (your mileage may vary). Honestly I would be surprised if those specific negative connotations survive much longer in our culture (not that people are becoming more kind, just that it's a really dated insult and I think we're finding newer phrases with which to hurt each other)

"Aspergian" is terrible though, I think there is no reconciling that.

It's almost like people have entirely reversed the meaning of the word "special".

That's a fascinating subject unto itself. How mundane terms get hijacked and go from positive to negative connotations. Or even vice-versa.

Or should I just exclaim, "That's sick, man!" :p

That's a fascinating subject unto itself. How mundane terms get hijacked and go from positive to negative connotations. Or even vice-versa.

I agree. It's worth considering that language does tend to evolve that way and that is a fascinating study. It just doesn't make sense to me for "special" to be a bad word. Considering the catalyst is cynicism and hurtful intent.

We should just take the term back, and make it wholesome again.

I would be surprised if in a matter of a few years it was still popular to refer to people on the spectrum with much of any term beginning with the letters A-S-P.
You must admit Kanner's & Asperger's syndromes are more flattering than idiot, imbecile & moron which were all psychiatric terms, at one time.

In contrast, Asperger's syndrome (and all of its derivatives) just means "the type of autism that Dr. Asperger described."

You must admit Kanner's & Asperger's syndromes are more flattering than idiot, imbecile & moron which were all psychiatric terms, at one time.

In contrast, Asperger's syndrome (and all of its derivatives) just means "the type of autism that Dr. Asperger described."

Frankly I'm more concerned with what the DSM-V has done with the diagnostic process relative to the Affordable Care Act and Capitol Hill politics than what they choose to call it. ;)

I personally think the common term of aspies might be not so positive. Perhaps it’s contributing to the general mind frame where people don’t really equate Aspergers across all stages of the life span. Things that end in ie, or y are generally kiddish terms or used when talking about something considered lesser. Like puppy, kitty, mommy, froggy . I kind of like the word Aspen, but then we’d be mixed up with a tree so I don’t know

I personally think the common term of aspies might be not so positive. Perhaps it’s contributing to the general mind frame where people don’t really equate Aspergers across all stages of the life span. Things that end in ie, or y are generally kiddish terms or used when talking about something considered lesser. Like puppy, kitty, mommy, froggy . I kind of like the word Aspen, but then we’d be mixed up with a tree so I don’t know

There's an entire thread devoted to that subject as well.

Though it might not be simple to locate...generated a lot of discussion as I recall.

Last edited:
In Australia everything is shortened to e or y it's just easier to speak English that way or the letter o for instance in the UK with the telly instead of television as a lot of British people don't naturally speak standard English they would naturally speak Gaelic

Ouch, @Anonymous, that's pretty harsh. My first name is Jimmie (it's even on my birth certificate that way) and I'm in my 50s. I don't consider myself to be lesser, nor do I think my name is kiddish.

Ouch, @Anonymous, that's pretty harsh. My first name is Jimmie (it's even on my birth certificate that way) and I'm in my 50s. I don't consider myself to be lesser, nor do I think my name is kiddish.
Etymologically and onomastically speaking, "-ie" & "-y" are diminutive suffices. By extension, they are used in familiar affection when applied to adults (probably alluding to a relationship established during childhood).

The terms "boys" & "girls" can be used in similar fashion when referring to men & women.

Etymologically and onomastically speaking, "-ie" & "-y" are diminutive suffices. By extension, they are used in familiar affection when applied to adults (probably alluding to a relationship established during childhood).

The terms "boys" & "girls" can be used in similar fashion when referring to men & women.
Sure, but that's vastly different that "kiddish" and "lesser."

Etymologically and onomastically speaking, "-ie" & "-y" are diminutive suffices.
Sure, but that's vastly different that "kiddish" and "lesser."
Diminutive means "little" and, by extension, "younger," "baby" or "child." Many languages have diminutive suffices that are used in exactly the same way.

The literal meaning of "Jimmie" is "little Jim." I am certain that it is to reflect familiar affection rather than being a commentary on your size or maturity. Many, many given names include diminutive suffices for exactly the same reason. And those that don't, often have nickname forms that do.

Last edited:

Or should I just exclaim, "That's sick, man!" :p

You must be really gay.

Asp-ecially gay.

Slightly more controversial word meaning and insult story :)

Diminutive means "little" and, by extension, "younger," "baby" or "child." Many languages have diminutive suffices that are used in exactly the same way.

The literal meaning of "Jimmie" is "little Jim." I am certain that it is to reflect familiar affection rather than being a commentary on your size or maturity. Many, many given names include diminutive suffices for exactly the same reason. And those that don't, often have nickname forms that do.
That was what I was trying to convey, but didn’t know the exact wording, it was just kind of jumbled thoughts but now it’s in logical sequence. Thanks crossbreed. That pulled things together in my mind

You must be really gay.

Asp-ecially gay.

Slightly more controversial word meaning and insult story :)

It is amusing to see old movies and tv shows where the word "gay" means being happy and carefree. Of course in those times the few words that meant or implied homosexuality were generally not even spoken of in open conversations. Mostly used to demean people rather than describe their sexual orientation.

Different times...where word meanings ebb and flow.

New Threads

Top Bottom