• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Terminology Rant

Beguiling Orbit

Neurotribe Champion
V.I.P Member
One of the things I like about this forum is that we are allowed to get things off our chest (usually) without (too many) repercussions. So here goes:

I can't stand the term "special interest." It sounds so condescending, like we are barely capable of functioning as humans — as if our existence is to be merely tolerated:

"Oh, don't mind Billy Bob. His special interest is shiny things. I just wish he didn't get so worked up about them. He just goes on and on, especially when he attaches one to a string and spins it. I'm really at my wit's end about the whole thing."

I much prefer using the term "passion." It makes it seem that we have attained a level of profundity that is to be admired by others:

"Wow, Billy Bob! You are really into shiny things! How did that become your passion? And I love how that one you've attached to a string makes those cool reflections on the wall when you spin it. It's like a disco ball!"

I know I shouldn't get worked up about it, but I do sometimes. Maybe I just drank too much Pibb Xtra today. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. (And don't even get me started about the term "Aspergian." Blegh.)

First things first, happy birthday, @Beguiling Orbit!

As for the term "special interest", I'd never considered it from that angle, but now that I think about it... maybe the connotation behind "special" gives it this condescending twist?

Now, Aspergian... I'm all for people coining terms that mean something to them, but I'll keep on not using it, because it feels weird and sounds like Merovingian.

Don't get me started on "Aspergirls", though, it's so belittling to use that for adult women.

"Special Interests" to me will always first and foremost refer to lobbyists on Capitol Hill.

Whether they are on the spectrum or not. ;) :p

First things first, happy birthday, @Beguiling Orbit!

As for the term "special interest", I'd never considered it from that angle, but now that I think about it... maybe the connotation behind "special" gives it this condescending twist?

Now, Aspergian... I'm all for people coining terms that mean something to them, but I'll keep on not using it, because it feels weird and sounds like Merovingian.

Don't get me started on "Aspergirls", though, it's so belittling to use that for adult women.

I really want to do some jokey insults at the moment....
But. I'm a bit tired...

So Could you please insert your own versions of patronising insults?

Starter words :
Delicate flower
Handkerchief
Fainting

That kind of thing :)

Aspergian - isn't that a citizen of Aspergia?

Yeah, I always feel weird when someone talks about a "special interest". I like "passion", but "current obsession" is more accurate, for me, anyway.

In another thread I also expressed some dislike of the word "neurotypical" because "typical" is another word for "normal", and I proposed "neuromajority" instead, as it doesn't imply superiority in either group.

One of the things I like about this forum is that we are allowed to get things off our chest (usually) without (too many) repercussions. So here goes:

I can't stand the term "special interest." It sounds so condescending, like we are barely capable of functioning as humans — as if our existence is to be merely tolerated:

"Oh, don't mind Billy Bob. His special interest is shiny things. I just wish he didn't get so worked up about them. He just goes on and on, especially when he attaches one to a string and spins it. I'm really at my wit's end about the whole thing."

I much prefer using the term "passion." It makes it seem that we have attained a level of profundity that is to be admired by others:

"Wow, Billy Bob! You are really into shiny things! How did that become your passion? And I love how that one you've attached to a string makes those cool reflections on the wall when you spin it. It's like a disco ball!"

I know I shouldn't get worked up about it, but I do sometimes. Maybe I just drank too much Pibb Xtra today. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. (And don't even get me started about the term "Aspergian." Blegh.)
Try Narrow Interest. It's more accurate. Just because you have an interest in something doesn't make it "special". Maybe to someone. Not for everyone. Special interest is just a biased observation assuming it is special ed, or special important.

Yes! I was hoping all the closet comedians would start riffing off my post. Success!
Dammit, the audition was held on one of those days when I'm not in a punny mood, and now I feel like I missed the call.
Oh well, back to my closet I go. It needs some organizing anyway.

I'm with you, I dislike this term. "Special interest" falls in line with terms like "special education" and "special needs". I prefer "perseverative interest", "preferred interest", even "restricted interest" (among professionals), etc... but "special interest" is neither informative nor polite, so it fails on both marks for me.

I agree! It is like if you are great at Physics and NT , then it's awesome, like you have a career and can do stuff. If you are Non-NT, it changes everything. Oh, so and so ? Yeah, they are smart and all, yeah....great at physics and all, but you know.......

Changes everything!!

The thought never crossed my mind before, but I agree that passionate would be a better word to use, well done!

PS: Happy Birthday! :D

I had just been so glad to find a term for my obsessive interests that I hadn't thought of about the phrase itself....yeah, it does sound kind of pathetic in a way. And with that parent example you gave - it sounds like some euphemism frustrated parents would use to describe the passion they found so dreadfully confusing/bewildering/annoying in their autistic child.

Happy Birthday :)

tumblr_lbc0i3IMMt1qz9upvo1_500.jpg

Aspergian - isn't that a citizen of Aspergia?

Yeah, I always feel weird when someone talks about a "special interest". I like "passion", but "current obsession" is more accurate, for me, anyway.

In another thread I also expressed some dislike of the word "neurotypical" because "typical" is another word for "normal", and I proposed "neuromajority" instead, as it doesn't imply superiority in either group.
I honestly think of the word typical in a negative way not in a positive way

I'm with you, I dislike this term. "Special interest" falls in line with terms like "special education" and "special needs". I prefer "perseverative interest", "preferred interest", even "restricted interest" (among professionals), etc... but "special interest" is neither informative nor polite, so it fails on both marks for me.

It ranks right in there with a ride on the "short bus." The special ed bus...

Passion is cool... but defining passion starts unfolding a whole other emotional disconnect.
Isn't ASD great? Most the time yes, today not so much.

I hear you man. I was fortunate to be able to channel my interests into a good career, and a lot of the time when I tell people about aspergers and how I'm able to do what I do it will devalue my accomplishments in their eyes. What does it matter if a medical condition makes some things harder or easier? An accomplishment is an accomplishment.

I hate terms: you are an obsessive person and an anxious person. I know what they mean, but it seems so demeaning!

New Threads

Top Bottom