• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Syndrome and Animal Therapy

Highway Cowboy

My ten year old daughter and myself both are blessed with Aspergers and High Functioning Autism although my daughter also has other issues such as Septo Optic Dysplasia Spectrum and is visually impaired. Both of us struggle greatly around other people and find it very difficult to form and maintain any sort of friendship with people.

However we have just started Horse Riding lessons at a local Farm. We find the horses extremely therapeutic, large, powerful yet soft, gentle creatures that are absolutely beautiful. There are also other animals at the farm to stroke and pet and help feed if you want to. We leave feeling happy, contented and fulfilled and very relaxed.

I have to say that there is alot to be said for the company of animals and the more time I spend with them the more I prefer them to human beings.

Does anybody else have a similar experience ?

Not affordable for me. But I bet it's wonderful.

My ten year old daughter and myself both are blessed with Aspergers and High Functioning Autism although my daughter also has other issues such as Septo Optic Dysplasia Spectrum and is visually impaired. Both of us struggle greatly around other people and find it very difficult to form and maintain any sort of friendship with people.

However we have just started Horse Riding lessons at a local Farm. We find the horses extremely therapeutic, large, powerful yet soft, gentle creatures that are absolutely beautiful. There are also other animals at the farm to stroke and pet and help feed if you want to. We leave feeling happy, contented and fulfilled and very relaxed.

I have to say that there is alot to be said for the company of animals and the more time I spend with them the more I prefer them to human beings.

Does anybody else have a similar experience ?
Animal therapy is some of the most underrated ways of coping with the stresses of autism! I am a huge proponent of it. It's great that you and your daughter have found a way to bond over the benefits that animals provide human beings. Simply owning a cat or dog provides some of the same benefits. I have two new all black adolescent kittens that are brother and sister. They provide so much joy for me. one sleeps on my legs and the other on my stomach.

The primary thing about animals is that they pay back the love that you give them by 200%. An animal's love in unconditional - they only ask that you show them love and feed them. They ask for so little and give so much in return.

it would be a good idea in the spare time you have to house sit an animal then you'll appreciate it fully.

F6951F9C-FC59-437A-BA87-C661D7AC5D0F.jpeg
I love cats, my husband and I have four rescues, and they do wonders for us. As seen above, my “nurse” Tristan, who loves to lend a paw.

I also find cats to have a lot in common with me:

• Supersenses
  • Suffer from too much input
  • Companionable without being overbearing
  • Dislikes noisy crowds
  • Contemplative thinkers
SO pleased you and your daughter have found animal companions who suit you. We are all humans: we ignore the natural world at our peril.

My cats are a soothing presence for me. I like being around tranquil and friendly animals, especially when I’m feeling stressed.

Animal therapy is some of the most underrated ways of coping with the stresses of autism! I am a huge proponent of it. It's great that you and your daughter have found a way to bond over the benefits that animals provide human beings. Simply owning a cat or dog provides some of the same benefits. I have two new all black adolescent kittens that are brother and sister. They provide so much joy for me. one sleeps on my legs and the other on my stomach.

The primary thing about animals is that they pay back the love that you give them by 200%. An animal's love in unconditional - they only ask that you show them love and feed them. They ask for so little and give so much in return.
I bet those kittens are adorable

My cats are a soothing presence for me. I like being around tranquil and friendly animals, especially when I’m feeling stressed.
Yes we also own a big fluffy tabby cat (called Fluffy )and we have a little black and white stray that Fluffy brings home with him that we've called Patch. Patch must have been mistreated in the past as he is extremely wary of people and we put food outside for him as he wouldn't come inside the house for months until recently where he trusts us enough to come in but not quite enough to let us stroke him just yet. I very much enjoy the company of my cat, especially when he sleeps on the bed next to me at night purring away contently.
I have read much of the benefits of having an Autism Assistance Dog, there are many up sides of having one except for me it would not work as the sight, smell and very thought of dog poo absolutely turns my stomach upside down

I'm a great believer in the power of pets to be a calming and focusing influence on us. When I was a kid my parents were anti to pets, but as an adult I've had mice, guinea pigs, rabbits, dogs, birds, rats and cats. Of all of them the rats and the cats were the best companions (IMO). Rats are astonishingly clever for their size but my cats have always been the most affectionate and calming animals I've shared a home with. We only ever have one at a time, but my cat has always been my closest companion other than my wife.

I was given this book by a fellow Aspie years ago and it rings true.
All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom