• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD symptoms vs abuse for mothers

Kayla55

So God bless my mother and I've let it go but never forgotten and I just wanted to share my research incase anyone else feels need to distinguish how feeling about motherhood. When my babies were born my mother bought me a book called'mothers who leave' I was curious but used to a lifetime of never reacting, she pushed me to be best Mom I could despite her negativity.
For years I did struggle with below autism issues, esp. needing time away and being on overload. But since my life wasn't a blessing she caused confusion because I thought I was emotionally unresponsive due to childhood neglect and trauma. So it's starting to make a better picture for me now. If you brave then welcome to add to this......

ASD symptoms in moms
There is also the difficulty of suppressing one’s own emotions when managing a child’s emotions, responding to a young child’s frequent need for affection and touch and ensuring each child receives enough affection from the child’s perspective. Having children can also reduce an autistic mother’s access to emotion recovery mechanisms such as solitude, creative activities, exercise, and engaging in a hobby or interest. There is also coping with the frustration of children interrupting activities and thoughts and children needing attention, conflict resolution and entertainment preventing the achievement of household responsibilities. There are many legitimate reasons for autistic mothers to feel exhausted and depressed.

Here are some of the long-term effects of a stolen childhood: (abuse)

• Physical health: Children who experience a stolen childhood may face lifelong health consequences. They may have poor nutrition, inadequate healthcare, sexually transmitted infections, maternal complications, physical injuries and traumas, and chronic pain.
  • Mental health: Childhood trauma can lead to anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), substance abuse, and even suicide attempts in adulthood. Childhood neglect and abuse can also affect brain development, leading to difficulties with emotion regulation and impulse control.
  • Cognitive development: Children who experience a stolen childhood may struggle with cognitive development, such as language and memory skills. They may also have difficulty with academic achievement and problem-solving.
  • Social skills: A stolen childhood can lead to difficulties with social skills, such as trust issues, low self-esteem, and poor communication skills. These difficulties can impact their ability to form healthy relationships and succeed in their personal and professional lives.
  • Trust issues: Children who have experienced a stolen childhood may have difficulty trusting others and forming meaningful relationships. This inability to trust can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness and can impact their mental health.

There are jobs such as a teacher or nurse that deemed a suitable job for women, being a teacher is too much for some of us, it also involves social skills, English grammar and all demanding environ.
Many women struggle with career decisions because of societies pressure,

Another issue is some women mask well and lived good families so they didn't have the confusion of picking out complex problems. I know this sounds bitter, but I was no good at drama or dance class, I don't have friends on phone all day, even shopping can be confusing for me at times.....we don't have an outlet and if younger aspies understand this they can tackle many of the depression issues.....
Our hobbies may be different, unpromoted by NT people....what is relaxing, time out, what makes you happy?
Quite honestly women of today are spoilt, there are extra murals and even making career decisions and society fails to see we are different. Autistic women need to have intellectual hobbies and jobs because we wired this way.

I spent years not wanting to wake up in the mornings...I suppressed this for years on end, when my career ended due to twins I felt trapped. I felt pressured to have sex knowing men leave if you don't. I was so unhappy.
I started crying in my sleep, was still crying out as I woke up....I couldn't help myself. I felt tortured and couldn't take it anymore!!!
I also struggled my whole life with bladder infections, was often using citro-soda and not drinking enough water. It's so bad now that I'm only allowed two cups of coffee....it was my nervous depressant for years since I hardly drank alcohol. So I've stopped daily dose of citro-soda for now after 2 months, provided I drink plenty of water....

This is what masking did, whenever I tried to express unhappiness i was shutout, expected to be happy when my dance moves cheesy, my unflowing, choked chicken.
Shirley was around ages ago, at her age a women should not be behaving like a common tramp, dressed more unacceptable than a teenage daughter. Apparently she wasn't popular back then so now she's living it out....how do we not know that we different from this, that we don't derive happiness as other women do.

So God bless my mother and I've let it go but never forgotten and I just wanted to share my research incase anyone else feels need to distinguish how feeling about motherhood. When my babies were born my mother bought me a book called'mothers who leave' I was curious but used to a lifetime of never reacting, she pushed me to be best Mom I could despite her negativity.
For years I did struggle with below autism issues, esp. needing time away and being on overload. But since my life wasn't a blessing she caused confusion because I thought I was emotionally unresponsive due to childhood neglect and trauma. So it's starting to make a better picture for me now. If you brave then welcome to add to this......

ASD symptoms in moms
There is also the difficulty of suppressing one’s own emotions when managing a child’s emotions, responding to a young child’s frequent need for affection and touch and ensuring each child receives enough affection from the child’s perspective. Having children can also reduce an autistic mother’s access to emotion recovery mechanisms such as solitude, creative activities, exercise, and engaging in a hobby or interest. There is also coping with the frustration of children interrupting activities and thoughts and children needing attention, conflict resolution and entertainment preventing the achievement of household responsibilities. There are many legitimate reasons for autistic mothers to feel exhausted and depressed.

• Physical health: Children who experience a stolen childhood may face lifelong health consequences. They may have poor nutrition, inadequate healthcare, sexually transmitted infections, maternal complications, physical injuries and traumas, and chronic pain.
  • Mental health: Childhood trauma can lead to anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), substance abuse, and even suicide attempts in adulthood. Childhood neglect and abuse can also affect brain development, leading to difficulties with emotion regulation and impulse control.
  • Cognitive development: Children who experience a stolen childhood may struggle with cognitive development, such as language and memory skills. They may also have difficulty with academic achievement and problem-solving.
  • Social skills: A stolen childhood can lead to difficulties with social skills, such as trust issues, low self-esteem, and poor communication skills. These difficulties can impact their ability to form healthy relationships and succeed in their personal and professional lives.
  • Trust issues: Children who have experienced a stolen childhood may have difficulty trusting others and forming meaningful relationships. This inability to trust can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness and can impact their mental health.
Ouch. All these bullet points--well, most of them--have reflections of myself within them. \:

ASD symptoms in moms

Ya know, a bit off topic; but poverty gives rise to all the bullet point symptoms mentioned here, at least from my observation. (And i'd argue that Cognitive development would be severely hindered well intro adulthood due to the inability to afford BASIC things.

Ouch. All these bullet points--well, most of them--have reflections of myself within them. \:
Youch ....that's what I'm on about.
Read somewhere that ASD women are ultra sensitive....so just trying to understand how hard self expression is is a task and a half, let alone people letting you down and feeling afraid to ever ask for help.

Ya know, a bit off topic; but poverty gives rise to all the bullet point symptoms mentioned here, at least from my observation. (And i'd argue that Cognitive development would be severely hindered well intro adulthood due to the inability to afford BASIC things.
Why do I always place such heavy expectations and blame on myself, we all mess up or didn't have answer somewhere down the line. Not sure why I have such unreasonable expectations of myself, but yip money really stresses me out.....

New Threads

Top Bottom