• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you "paranoid"

Graphin

They're red can duck?
And why?

I was pretty young at that time, but it was when I started researching about Edward Snowden.

I can't stand it that everything is getting monitored, not only by government agencies, but by everybody who can, including google. Just like I experienced and saw many times, even in more private ways one wrong pic or statement can ruin so many things, except so many small things I do that are not intended for the public get stored in databases out of my control, who knows how it might pop up in a future, and how it will get important.

Currently I do not notice massive problems with all of that, but when greedy companies and governments with partially really bad records on human rights, who knows how those change in the future. I'm just 16, who knows what happens with me later.

EDIT: I mean paranoid as a label that gets used today especially in digital space, i expected people to understand that as i do and put it in quote marks for that reason. It is in the category where i put it for a reason

Last edited:
noun: paranoia

A.
a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition...in which the person loses touch with reality.

A.1 synonyms: persecution complex, delusions, obsession, psychosis

B. suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.

noun: paranoia

A.
a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition...in which the person loses touch with reality.

A.1 synonyms: persecution complex, delusions, obsession, psychosis

B. suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.

I'm not paranoid according to A, but I might be paranoid according to B.

Although I'd say a lifetime of abuse and mistreatment certainly counts as evidence or justification.

I sadly do suffer from paranoia.

It manifests when if I am out on my own and I hear or see people laughing, I immediately think they are laughing at me.

I am accused of being parnoid quite often, by those who do not want to take responsibilty for their own misdeminers. It is easy to say: oh, you are just being parnoid.

As to what you mention, actually not at all; I am too naive or even trusting to think about it.

I used to hate being on my own even in my house, feeling that the very walls were whispering about me, but oh, thank goodness, that went years ago due to getting used to being on my own, as hubby works very hard.

I get called paranoid quite often but of course I know they are wrong, they just dont see the dangers.

It is an odd thing to consider that the private sector may hold more information about the average citizen nowadays than the worst abuses of public sectors operating in the name of state security. Worse still to consider the likelihood of such information being deliberately compromised by third parties and sovereign entities for more malevolent purposes.

There's a lot more to be concerned about than in the past, unless say you lived in Honecker's DDR or Ceaucescu's Romania. Countries whose state security apparatus managed to routinely bug the homes of nearly every citizen.

So where vigilance is required, I don't think it's that important as to what one labels it compared to what one actually does with it. Yeah- "watch your six". o_O

@Judge consider the fact that especially in countries where practically all the advanced companies are based those governments can secretly force the company to share data. the "fourteen eyes"

@Judge consider the fact that especially in countries where practically all the advanced companies are based those governments can secretly force the company to share data. the "fourteen eyes"

I think I already did when I mentioned "sovereign entities". ;)

Perhaps to some it's more unnerving when done by your own government. Where it technically may involve a legal process rather than merely hacking. Though in the case of any number of security agencies, they may be indifferent to such distinctions, often operating solely on a premise of not getting caught.

Or relying on a FISA judge who isn't all that particular about a search warrant.

Lots of variables in this equation. With or without due process :eek:

The NSA was determined to have made illegal activities in terms of human rights, international law and US law.

The NSA was determined to have made illegal activities in terms of human rights, international law and US law.

What security apparatus doesn't? Even Germany was caught spying on the US. Clandestine operations at some point usually transcend any number of laws and treaties. No secret there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/world/europe/scandal-over-spying-shakes-german-government.html

At least entities representing sovereign nations are the ones most likely to consider the legal ramifications before breaking them compared to private sector marketing firms who may not even have a clue or care. Where shareholder aggrandizement remains their top priority. And where cyber security may amount to a hit/miss proposition, such as in the case of incredibly sloppy public corporations like Equifax.

There's nothing good about governments violating their citizens' privacy. However the private sector allowing citizens to be financially compromised through their own incompetence can be even worse.

Last edited:
It was hilarious when the Snowden leaks came out. The headlines should've read "The Tinfoil Hat Community Proven Right", more at 11. Of course, I was/am part of that community, so it was a glorious day for me.

But am I paranoid in this particular sense? My behaviors would suggest that I am, but paranoia is baseless and unwarranted, i.e. it's not paranoia if the thing you're afraid of is actually happening.

So no, not paranoid, just aware that a spook may or may not be reading everything I write. Also, your phone can be used as a microphone to spy on you, without the need for a warrant (as if a warrant is difficult to get). So, I just operate under the assumption that I'm never alone.

Paranoid? Others have labeled me such. But I don't think so, I think I'm just being vigilant and following best practices vis-a-vis not pissing off national security.

The possibility of being seen changes the behavior, it was confirmed many times throughout history and i notice it personally, which also affects actually unproblematic behavior a lot too. For this reason the darknet is such an interesting thing for me to explore.

I have to admit I am a bit paranoid, worse at times, less at others. And especially of online problems, there's so many scams out there, and some make it seem as if they are watching everything you do.

I used to get paranoid a lot, but recently not so much. Especially concerning government etc, mainly because I can't do anything about it, so worrying makes no sense.

I ‘d state that I am paranoid but someone may be reading this.
;) :p

I’d suggest I am capable of paranoia.
Much more apparent when in the throws of hyper vigilance or some kind of PTSD event.

@Judge mentions “watching your six” I’d like to add that in worst cases I’m watching every other number on that clock face too.

But it isn’t constant. Repetitive in certain situations yes, but not dominating my every waking moment.

The OP asks why? If so, why?
A simple answer might be my unfounded fear of ... something ... usually an imagined sequence of events mixed together with actual memories from way back when.

I believe in neurogenisis and can largely get on my own nerves when being afraid of being afraid.

I get on my own nerves too, didn't know there was a name for it! :D :D

Getting on our own nerves isn’t strictly neurogenisis but it is an altered way of thinking which if practiced enough becomes a habit.
If the habit is practiced constantly it usually becomes the norm.

I’m guessing in the same way our ‘triggers’ work at the moment.
Situation - trigger - response, it’s become so habitual, it’s the norm.

Change the mental and subsequent physical response by changing the thoughts or association?

By getting on our own nerves we can start to challenge our own thoughts?

It’s much easier writing this than putting it into practice :)

New Threads

Top Bottom