• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you a fan of fans?

No! They're loud, demanding and frankly a bit obnoxious...oh, those fans? Wait...

No, but seriously, I find it harder to sleep without a box fan running. Has to be a box fan as it's just enough noise to drown out most everything, and I can direct my attention to the hum of air being rushed through instead of whatever chaos is going on from flesh puppets tearing up the road or whatever business they're up to.

I wear earplugs too.. the noise is painful to me. Can feel it at the micropic level rattling my brain and organs.

Ear plugs are great but they’ll damage your ears eventually if you’re usumg them night after night and also you won’t hear a smoke alarm in an fire situation

There are no earplugs made that would block out the sound of our smoke alarms which inevitably need a battery change late at night. I wish there were.
Why will wearing earplugs damage your ears if worn daily?

Thought I was the only one... At the computer, my head gets hot, especially when I'm reading news articles. So, I run a fan most of the time, winter, summer. A fan on a stand Gritches{:0 Dry my hair after a shower with a fan, because hair dryers are too loud. Have a tower fan running in the kitchen when I cook. Have a retro fan that I bought, that looks like this:

f266f285-c971-4036-830b-149f2ffdd161_1.b7fd5ab7ac5b37fedf783daccec15346.jpeg

Which I used once, it's all metal body makes too much noise. Sounds like a plane taking off. So yeah, I'm a fan of quiet fans.

Last edited:
How odd... that 2 people on a random ASD website, half a nation apart, had basically the exact same day...
I got prescribed glasses, for the first time in my life : (
They will be in on the 29th... (oh frikin joy)... Something else people can comment on... ug

I also was prescribed the steroid gel for my eyes and holy cow they feel so much better!!
So we did the same thing yesterday... how weird is that... : )
Unless i misread the whole thing and then that makes me a moron...
No moron.
Remember how we just felt a connection to Tesla and Einstein in another post? Same reason. Not surprised. It's the soul thing. :)

Eat a packet of crisps with decent earplugs in, just for a laugh.
(Quells the boredom :) )
Lol, that just conjured up an image of a bag of crisps with earplugs in them. Crisps are tasty, but I woudn't want to eat earplugs, decent or not!

And thats your singular boredom solution?

Not at all. :)
I have many.
My brain craves something exciting to test it/ work it.
I get up to all manner of curiosity satisfying experiments whilst ‘marking time’ between obsessions.

“I wonder what would happen if .....?”
Eating crisps whilst wearing earplugs amused me no end.
It’s so loud it’s a little bit scarey.
That’s the amusing part.
And a bit of a buzz.

(Also interesting, the level of noise triggers a reaction, the situation, amusing and harmless?)

I don't like AC. In the old house I always kept the curtains pulled (and lights on so I didn't live in the dark) and keeping the sun was was key. I also had a large fan sealed to a lower window blowing out, and kept the windows open on the cool woods side of the house upstairs. This pulled in cooler air in, and equalized the temp from upstairs to downstairs. I'd run with this all night, sometimes wake up to an icebox but I got the heat out. Then when it started getting hot outside, close windows and shades and it'd last most of the day.

The current house has trees and large eaves to keep out the summer sun, but let the winter sun in. Also has a basement which is always cool and dry in the summer. I spend most of the time down there during the really hot days. Sometimes still need my heater in the summer.

Fans in general, I like the sound. It's soothing and I often hear voices in the noise. But I do not like air being blown on me. Thankfully there are other device blowers that are often running. Same in a car, I like to open the window just enough because I feel better being connected to the outside, but I hate the wind blowing on me.

I don't like hearing the Voices in the fan, it sounds like someone is calling me. The bathroom exhaust fan is the worst offender! I'm not a big fan of Fans, but they're far better than being hot!

I don't like hearing the Voices in the fan, it sounds like someone is calling me. The bathroom exhaust fan is the worst offender! I'm not a big fan of Fans, but they're far better than being hot!
just so you know the breathtakingly expensive dyson fan doesn't make any noise

I cant be without my fans, have 3 on at night and two in the day. I love fresh air, cant get enough- or go hill walking anoymore to aerate my molecules. I live in a windy area but cant get enough air. I'd have more fans if I didn't trip over the ones I have all the time.

New Threads

Top Bottom