• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you a fan of fans?

Gritches

The Happy Dog
V.I.P Member
I'm curious to know what others think of fans, and by fans I mean the personal-cooling/air circulating types of fans. Box fans, stand fans, desk fans, those fans that sit in your window;

I am personally a fan of fans. I love fans, and own many of them. I can't sleep without a fan on. After I shower, I stand in front of a box fan on full blast to dry my hair without the damaging heat of a blow-dryer, and it gives me hair a wind-blown look.

But I think the best thing about fans - and I only discovered this recently in a conversation with @LucyPurrs - is that fans help with PTSD. They help by being like a grounding technique; with a fan blowing on you, it's much easier to stay in-the-moment instead of drifting into the past.

I could understand disliking fans for sensory reasons. With the exception of the hair-drying thing, a fan at wind-tunnel speed is a little too stimulating.

So, with warm weather on the way, what's your stance on fans?

Amusing question given my Aspie response. :cool:

Salesman: "I'd think you'd want to know about the airflow per square foot."
Me: "Nope. I want to study the pitch of the fan's motor relative to a perception of ambient sound. Kind of like the pitch required to queue Doolittle's B-25s to take off from an aircraft carrier using no more than 500 feet of runway."
Salesman: "Huh?"

I'm curious to know what others think of fans, and by fans I mean the personal-cooling/air circulating types of fans. Box fans, stand fans, desk fans, those fans that sit in your window;

I am personally a fan of fans. I love fans, and own many of them. I can't sleep without a fan on. After I shower, I stand in front of a box fan on full blast to dry my hair without the damaging heat of a blow-dryer, and it gives me hair a wind-blown look.

But I think the best thing about fans - and I only discovered this recently in a conversation with @LucyPurrs - is that fans help with PTSD. They help by being like a grounding technique; with a fan blowing on you, it's much easier to stay in-the-moment instead of drifting into the past.

I could understand disliking fans for sensory reasons. With the exception of the hair-drying thing, a fan at wind-tunnel speed is a little too stimulating.

So, with warm weather on the way, what's your stance on fans?

Cant live without my fans. I've even got some on here :)

But the tower fans are the best, providing a great block of air.

About a metre high, variable setting.

Desk fans are usually useless.

Convector heaters in the uk are also great,cold and really hot air.

Also find the noise soothing,soporific. Massive relief.

I much prefer fans to air conditioning.

Indeed. When you live in the desert in the summer, central air conditioning while effective can be overwhelming. And most of all, expen$ive.

Yeah, when I go to bed I never have the heating or air conditioning on. Too costly...but I do keep a little fan (5 inch diameter) on all night long in the summer.

Good point. I make a point of keeping the shades drawn all day long in our hot summers. It really does make a difference.

In turkey and a few other places there are lots of troglodytes.
I'm amazed that isn't more prevalent in warmer parts..
Even in oklahama not so much hot places.

Even in oklahama not so much hot places.
there are cave dwellers in France ,Tenerife , Northern Africa ,Italy and other parts of the Mediterranean ! of course there are artificial underground dwellings in Australia .

Even in oklahoma not so much hot places.

I suspect most people here really give little thought to thermodynamics in their most immediate environments beyond raising or lowering thermostats. (They must have money to burn when it comes to utilities bills.) A big one I try to maintain is not to pick an apartment facing any direction except north. Get an even amount of light, without blistering glare in the morning or afternoon. Double-pane windows make a difference too, though harder to find in renting.

Yet there's lots of things one can do to bring the temperature up- or down to some degree without it costing much of anything. Go figure.

But then since I'm technically a hermit, I suppose I'm a troglodyte too. :D

All that exhuberate screaming? No thanks; find it incredably annoying. Ahhh you mean the kind that keeps you cool when you are overheating? Oh, yes indeed I am a fan of fans.

We have one that stands on the floor and a table top one, which usually is in the kitchen when the heat is too much.

Summer - fan is on all night.
Winter - heat is on part night.

The cheapest way to avoid heat extremes is keep the room dark the whole day
This is true, but I don't think I could sit in a dark room all day. That would affect my mood. I need natural light to come into the room, and see out the window. The only room I have completely dark is the room where I sleep.

I highly recommend ceiling fans that can be reversed in the winter and have a remote control. They aren't that expensive either. But yeah, fans are great. When I travelled in Indonesia and it was MISERABLY hot, I'd take a cold shower then stand in front of the fan. Cooled me off quickly.

@Gritches I can't remember if I gave you the link for the whole body fan for drying off after showering - there are 2 styles one way more expensive than the other. Let me know if you want the links.

Indeed. When you live in the desert in the summer, central air conditioning while effective can be overwhelming. And most of all, expen$ive.

Yeah, when I go to bed I never have the heating or air conditioning on. Too costly...but I do keep a little fan (5 inch diameter) on all night long in the summer.

Have you ever considered a swamp cooler Judge? They are supposed to do a pretty good job cooling in hot dry climates.

A750240B-9C86-4A30-AFD3-75F70013A99F.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom