• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you a fan of fans?

This is interesting and funny however in Manchester UK we rarely need fans. Just a bit in the office in summer maybe. I live in a brick built terraced house and it keeps warm well in winter especially upstairs and keeps cool well in summer especially downstairs. Without fans. Sometimes I m glad of fans in premier inns I stay in if I visit London or Devon in summer. :palmtree:

I've never thought of using a fan for that purpose... I live in a climate that doesn't usually get much extreme heat, historically we average three days per year above 30 Celcius... And I live in a basement suite so I rarely have days when I need a fan to keep the heat down...

I like fans, too! When I lived with my dad and stepmom (before they let me sleep in their nice, cool basement), my upstairs room was always incredibly warm - even in the winter - and of course it became unbearable in the summer. I always needed a small fan blowing directly on me at night so I could sleep comfortably...of course, it also didn't hurt to have the fan's head rotate so the cool air was evenly distributed around the room, either.

The room I live in now (since I moved a few years ago) has much better temperature/air circulation, and it even stays cool when the heat is on in the house....which is ok, since that's how I like it. If I get too cold, I just put on warmer clothes, no big deal. I still use a box fan in the summer, though - not only does it keep the room cool, but the whirring noise it makes blocks out all outside noise that would keep me awake. :)

Far too noisy.
Even the supposed quiet ones.

Background irritant. Bit like a ticking wall clock, snoring cat, dripping tap.

Not a big fan of fans sorry.

Slow turning ceiling fans are really nice... The roar of some fans kind of bugs me pretty bad (SPD), and the air hitting my eyes bugs me really bad, and they get really dry and irritated, plus I have bad eye allergies.
I have to put stuff in them a lot, I was prescribed some eye steroids today - they feel good now!!! Smoke and dirt irritated them really bad from the fire.

I just went to eye doctor today. Have been supposed to go for 2 months but kept missing appointment.
A small blood vessel broke in my left eye, so I got all freaked out and went and the doc said no worries, it will heal, then tested my eyes and now I get to wear glasses... He said no way to contacts which is what I requested... : (

But wow oh wow, it was so cool to be able to see when he got it all right... I didn't realize how much I was straining to see all the time.

During this he asked if I slept under a fan, and I said yes and he said that's cool, but to cover my eyes to keep them from drying out in my sleep.

ASD freebee.... I used to get behind the black old time metal bladed fan at my grams house and make weird noises and it would make this crazy fluttering sound, but it wouldn't work from the front of the fan... I would do this for hours the get board and shoot small paper "footballs" into it and let it shred them... That would be the end of fan play for the day... : /

So I'm a fan of fans but they dont like me that well... : )

I don't like AC. In the old house I always kept the curtains pulled (and lights on so I didn't live in the dark) and keeping the sun was was key. I also had a large fan sealed to a lower window blowing out, and kept the windows open on the cool woods side of the house upstairs. This pulled in cooler air in, and equalized the temp from upstairs to downstairs. I'd run with this all night, sometimes wake up to an icebox but I got the heat out. Then when it started getting hot outside, close windows and shades and it'd last most of the day.

The current house has trees and large eaves to keep out the summer sun, but let the winter sun in. Also has a basement which is always cool and dry in the summer. I spend most of the time down there during the really hot days. Sometimes still need my heater in the summer.

Fans in general, I like the sound. It's soothing and I often hear voices in the noise. But I do not like air being blown on me. Thankfully there are other device blowers that are often running. Same in a car, I like to open the window just enough because I feel better being connected to the outside, but I hate the wind blowing on me.

I highly recommend ceiling fans that can be reversed in the winter and have a remote control. They aren't that expensive either. But yeah, fans are great. When I travelled in Indonesia and it was MISERABLY hot, I'd take a cold shower then stand in front of the fan. Cooled me off quickly.

@Gritches I can't remember if I gave you the link for the whole body fan for drying off after showering - there are 2 styles one way more expensive than the other. Let me know if you want the links.

We have two ceiling fans, one in the living room and one in the master bedroom. In the winter, we have them blowing down to take advantage of the heat that has risen to the ceiling. In the summer, we have them blowing up, to trap heat on the ceiling. I believe this helps with the heating and air conditioning costs. So I guess that I am a fan, fan.

There are ceiling fans in every room of the house.
I love to have the one in my bedroom going all the time when home.
Even though I can't sleep without my soft blanket, even in the summer, the ceiling fan makes the room temp just right and I like the soft whir.
Only problem is like @Chance mentioned, if you have eye problems the doctors will tell you NO.
I have allergies and dry eyes. Sometimes I will relax with a cool sleep mask if I lay down in the day, but at night the doctor prescribed a steroid gel for the lining of my lower lid that keeps my eyes moist all night and helps with inflammation.
Also you can use the ceiling fan as an air cleaner.
Go to a hardware store and ask for ceiling fan filters.
You past one on each blade and as it turns they take dust out of the air. Change them often like any other air filter.

I got new glasses today and there was a script change.
Having a hard time adjusting to them. I think I would rather see through my old script. At least they are comfortable. More like natural eyesight. Progressive lens are hard to get used to also. But, I'll try them for a few days and see if my brain adjusts.

I havn’t read through this thread yet - but!!

OMFG :(

Fans should be banned! Our next door neighbours have some type of effing fan at the moment! I’m hoping they are dehumidifiers being used to dry thier newly plastered walls. Fingers crossed.

Guys - maybe it’s just the breeze created by the fan??

Surely the feel of air pressure driven breeze is way nicer?

Far too noisy.
Even the supposed quiet ones.

Background irritant. Bit like a ticking wall clock, snoring cat, dripping tap.
I agree that the noise is irritating, but can't sleep in summer without one, so get round the problem by wearing earplugs.

I wear earplugs too.. the noise is painful to me. Can feel it at the micropic level rattling my brain and organs.

Ear plugs are great but they’ll damage your ears eventually if you’re usumg them night after night and also you won’t hear a smoke alarm in an fire situation

Ear plugs are great but they’ll damage your ears eventually if you’re usumg them night after night and also you won’t hear a smoke alarm in an fire situation
You're probably right about long-term use of ear plugs damaging ears, but I don't have a smoke alarm in the house (hate the damn things), so there's no danger of not hearing the smoke alarm (just the danger of not being aware of a fire instead). I's rather risk the ear damage or fire, and sleep well and not have the noise. Lesser of two evils, I guess.

There are ceiling fans in every room of the house.
I love to have the one in my bedroom going all the time when home.
Even though I can't sleep without my soft blanket, even in the summer, the ceiling fan makes the room temp just right and I like the soft whir.
Only problem is like @Chance mentioned, if you have eye problems the doctors will tell you NO.
I have allergies and dry eyes. Sometimes I will relax with a cool sleep mask if I lay down in the day, but at night the doctor prescribed a steroid gel for the lining of my lower lid that keeps my eyes moist all night and helps with inflammation.
Also you can use the ceiling fan as an air cleaner.
Go to a hardware store and ask for ceiling fan filters.
You past one on each blade and as it turns they take dust out of the air. Change them often like any other air filter.

I got new glasses today and there was a script change.
Having a hard time adjusting to them. I think I would rather see through my old script. At least they are comfortable. More like natural eyesight. Progressive lens are hard to get used to also. But, I'll try them for a few days and see if my brain adjusts.

How odd... that 2 people on a random ASD website, half a nation apart, had basically the exact same day...
I got prescribed glasses, for the first time in my life : (
They will be in on the 29th... (oh frikin joy)... Something else people can comment on... ug

I also was prescribed the steroid gel for my eyes and holy cow they feel so much better!!
So we did the same thing yesterday... how weird is that... : )
Unless i misread the whole thing and then that makes me a moron...

Macks silicone. Then the next problem is listening to your hearbeat.
If you can get used to,that, then it's perfection.

I can hear my heartbeat basically at any time... When I'm upset it sounds like a kick drum in a symphony of chaos... It's odd BUT what happens when I no longer hear it?
I kind of like that sound for now, the two 747's in my ears not so much, but that's just my life and it could be a lot worse. : )

New Threads

Top Bottom