• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are gas prices exploding where you live?

A bus pass might be a smart investment if you live in an area with mass transit.

Because I am disabled, I'm able to ride the bus unlimited times for a month with a $28 pass in my city. Many transit authorities have something like an "honored citizen" pass. Autism or other mental issues can count towards that disability. In my city, if you show a food stamp or Medicaid card, you can get an honored citizen pass as well.

(Although it's also a stinky investment sometimes), I can go anywhere I want in three counties and not worry about gas prices.

Cars are awesome though.

One bus a day lol

Yeah it got expensive again.
Strange how it seems to happen just in time for the holidays wha’d’ya’know.

Petrol is usually cheaper early in the week here, so I try to fill Monday/Tuesday. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere.

Am driving a bit less than usual but I'm a bit of a homebody anyway. I'm walking distance to some shops (incl groceries) but it's quite a gossipy little shopping centre so I usually go a bit further away...might have to brave the gossipy local shops if prices keep up.

$3.25 at the pumps today. Glad I have an old four-cylinder instead of a six.

Moving nearer to the college & can switch over to using the bicycle for commutes. Time to retire the gasoline car except for longer trips.

Cheapest gas in Sacramento is at the truck stop near the 5/80 junction at $4.09/gallon. Most expensive is at the Chevron in the Gardenland barrio on the north side at $4.99. Average price seems to be around $4.59 or so.

I have a Hyundai Accent 5 door which has a small 4 cylinder engine. Lots of people bought huge SUV's and pickup trucks when gas was much lower a couple years ago and now have to pay up to $1000/mo in fuel costs in many cases, if not more. They can't go get smaller cars either since there aren't any cars of any kind being manufactured right now due to the chip shortages.

I've seen this happen a couple times in my life-gas is low so people buy huge vehicles, price shoots up so they can't get rid of the big guzzlers for small cars fast enough, price goes down so they get rid of small cars for huge ones, back up so they can't afford their guzzlers. Stupid.

I've hauled a small freezer and a 1930s chest of drawers in my Hyundai, simply flip down the seats.

I've been paying $1.43/litre here in Alberta for a few weeks now, even with a small car it's getting expensive to drive, unfortunately my work cummute is 60 km round trip

I would love to do some more local travel (ie. Canadian prairies) but the gas price is holding me back, I haven't had a good photography/prairie trip for almost two years now and getting rather itchy... :(

And unfortunately we are in a situation of high inflation right now, even hearing the term stagflation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagflation - tossed around, which is not a good thing... Everything will get expensive, plus concerns about how many ships are stuck at sea trying to get into ports with their goods... Basically we're screwed :(

Last edited:
The wife has an escalade which can't really be changed to another vehicle. I mean for it's size it doesn't do too bad and since we live in the Midwest I bought gas tonight at 2.87. Sometimes it's 7 person seating isn't enough, (we do foster care,) and we haul trailers with it and she needs to haul photography equipment. My jeep is what kills me, im a rural mail carrier so I have to drive my own right hand drive vehicle; due to terrain and several hundred stops a day I only average 13.5 mpg and drive 150 miles a day. I'm looking into building my own mail vehicle and thinking about going with an om617 Mercedes diesel which in its original 4k pound car averages 30mpg.

Yes, they are rising. A combination of factors. OPEC sets the prices by manipulating the supply. Right now, they are having issues with meeting demands with regards to transportation,...shipping dock workers and truck drivers are in short supply. Further complicating things is that we are at a point in this transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy, and several major banks are no longer investing in oil futures. This is going to be a bit of a "bumpy road" because the prices for petrol/gasoline are going to rise significantly whilst the transportation sector is struggling to create an effective charging network for the electrical vehicles (EVs) that will replace the internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles, and the cost of EVs is still relatively high for the working class. Granted, this transition will occur very quickly, and the scales of economy will allow for a quick drop in EV prices,...I wouldn't worry about that right now. I wouldn't worry about the electrical grid, either,...we have been adding capacity at an astounding rate,...and all those oil pump jacks and oil refineries suck up a ton of electrical power,...once those start slowing/shutting down,...more electricity for the grid. What this creates is a transient increase in the cost of a barrel of oil,...good for short-term investors looking to make a quick buck over the next few years, but the amount of oil for burning will quickly drop over this decade. Oil will still be around,...it is still the main building block for all things plastic. People will still have old ICE cars for a while, but the cost of fueling them may become cost prohibitive once the price point for EVs drops below that on an ICE vehicle and the cost of operating an EV is significantly less than an ICE vehicle. Autonomous driving software is also rapidly developing, which means ride-share companies will really take off and expand to the point where you just call for a car,...and you don't have to own one. A lot of things are going to change in our lives before 2030,...sort of like how personal computers and cell phones did in the 1990's and early 2000's. search (cnbc.com)

I hope we survive in the interim while all of this is happening. I know that many will not.

My daughter saw the title of this thread earlier this morning, and we joked about gas prices literally exploding. As in, the sign...

Don't ask. lol

Here in Europe, the price of just about everything is exploding. Gas prices are going supernova (not really, I just wanted a good metaphor, but they are up a lot).

Yes, it is.
We are looking at around ZAR20.00 per/l ($1.37) coming end of year. And just getting worse. and the crooks running this place are just continuing to add unnecessary "levies" to the price.
In this instant those "levies" means more money for them to loot.

I think we need to take a page out of the Dinosaur's survival handbook.

Ol1SiX.gif

I hope we survive in the interim while all of this is happening. I know that many will not.

We'll survive. Most of this transition will not be because of governments and regulations, but rather consumer demand,...they almost always have. New products must be better than the ones that they are replacing,...or they don't sell. The people will determine how quickly this transition will occur, and usually money talks and the BS walks. In 1900, 99% of city dwellers were using horse and buggy,...by 1910, 99% of city dwellers were using cars,...despite all the nay-sayers in 1900. Same thing with cell phones and personal computers,...about 10 years of exponential market growth and these products just become a way of life. People eventually adapt and overcome, job descriptions change, and the world keeps turning.

Yes, it is.
We are looking at around ZAR20.00 per/l ($1.37) coming end of year. And just getting worse. and the crooks running this place are just continuing to add unnecessary "levies" to the price.
In this instant those "levies" means more money for them to loot.

What's a ZAR? Where do you live?

I came across an article talking about people in Australia taking old Japanese cars from the 70s and 80s, removing the powertrains, and then putting electric motors in their place. In the US it seems limited to the hot rod "restomod" community for now, but Oz is far ahead of the US in the transition to renewable energy, there was never any doubt as to the reality of global warming there, so they were able to roll up their sleeves and get to work. Personally I think the ultimate solution may be to abandon industrial civilization and return to the Dark Ages. Indeed, we may be in the opening stage of the collapse of industrial civilization right now. They're talking about "transitory" inflation and supply chain shortages and such while they're getting the private jet ready out back to fly to their remote buried bunkers to ensure that they survive while we don't.

I came across an article talking about people in Australia taking old Japanese cars from the 70s and 80s, removing the powertrains, and then putting electric motors in their place. In the US it seems limited to the hot rod "restomod" community for now, but Oz is far ahead of the US in the transition to renewable energy, there was never any doubt as to the reality of global warming there, so they were able to roll up their sleeves and get to work. Personally I think the ultimate solution may be to abandon industrial civilization and return to the Dark Ages. Indeed, we may be in the opening stage of the collapse of industrial civilization right now. They're talking about "transitory" inflation and supply chain shortages and such while they're getting the private jet ready out back to fly to their remote buried bunkers to ensure that they survive while we don't.

The problem I'd see with "returning to the Dark Ages" is that the Dark Ages would only affect common people. It would be similar to the disparity between the apes and humans in the Planet of the Apes films only it would be be between different classes of humans and the disparity would be astoundingly greater. So who would benefit by common people "going back to the Dark Ages"?

I'm near Washington DC in the States, gas is roughly $3.20 - 3.30 a gallon for Regular unleaded, less than 2 months ago it was about 15% less. I don't know how you all do it in Europe:eek: with the liters, I'd probably never drive there at those prices.

New Threads

Top Bottom