• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are Aspies/Auties More Prone to Exhibit Eccentric Behavior than NT’s?

When it comes to eccentric behavior, I

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't vote, because there was not a box there for me to tick.

Eccentric, or just not like everyone else? To NT's, I would be considered eccentric, but that is ones who are so "normal" that anything different is strange.

However, I do not believe I am at all eccentric; having chronic social anxiety means I do care what others think and try to not bring notice to myself.

I know eccentricity is a description of me.
I don't try to look or act differently to get attention,
but, then I ticked the box that I don't care either.

I dress the way I like and since I don't work anymore,
I can do that without any repercussions.
Don't care about dressing up formally or dresses.
Tee shirts, usually with some funny saying on them or some print picture and being in hot Florida, shorts or capris or best of all, nothing at all.
I'm not the least bit shy and if people look strangely at me, I let them look--free of charge! :cool:

I may be 60 years old in biological time, but, the real me
will never be old. If I want to buy clothes for juniors that a teenager would wear, I do.
I collect things from rocks to stuffed toys.
About the only thing I get angry about people saying is if they accuse me of doing something I didn't and won't explain why they said it when I ask.

If I could go back to a child or teenager and be told I act in ways that aren't the social norm because I have ASD,
I wouldn't have changed anyway. Not the strange ways part anyway.
There are a couple of things, had I known that I would have at least practiced on changing in other areas of life.

But for today, I put on my Weekend Wanderer tee and wandered to an antique car show at a nudist resort and felt totally at ease and free to be me.
Here is a photo entering the NO photo zone.
Eccentric and loving it. :eek:
RocksComo 033.JPG

I own ten black t-shirts, ten white t-shirts, five pairs of the same jeans and a few different hoodies. I pretty much wear some combination of the same thing every day and give zero damns if anyone cares; nobody's said anything about it yet anyway. I do change up my shoes of which I have too many for the stereotypical straight guy and I change up my jewelry a lot, ditto to that.
I just can't stand the insecurity of trying to pull off a fashionable look but not being sure if it looks good or not. I mean, I have no idea what looks good, just that this one look I have works just fine, and that's one big anxiety-monkey off my back.

My aspie ex only ever wore black or white t-shirts with jeans, similar to you...he has a couple of suits for special events but doesn't wear anything else. Another one was exactly the same, except it was dress shirts instead of t-shirts.
Me being a girl, I don't wear the exact same thing everyday, but it's always dark skinny jeans with a black or dark colored top. The only thing about my look that makes any kind of statement is my very long dark hair, which I've never cut. No jewelry except for earrings on occasion, can't stand rings or bracelets or watches or anything on my hands or around my neck, eventhough I love collecting them.

;)
We could have a contest, but other people would assume it's an actual food fight.

When my plate is removed, I have the same amount of crumbs on the table as all of the other people combined (now I understand it's because I can't stand the thought of tearing bread over my food). My grandparents used to joke that they needed to get a chicken to dispose of all these extra crumbs.

I will spill, toss, spread, you name it. Once had a dinner function for work with salad leaves that were too large. I folded a leaf into a neat little bundle, and as it was approaching my mouth, I saw it spring open AND eject a piece of raddish onto some big shot seated next to me. I was mortified, but he was near-sighted (no, wait, the opposite, people who can't see crap when it's close), so that evened out without consequences :p
Another valuable lesson I've learned: foods you can eat with your hands are safer (maybe not less messy, but safer, still).
How good are you with chopsticks? Maybe it's the amount of concentration it requires, but I hardly ever have chopsticks accidents.

Oh we'd make such a huge scene! It would definitely look like a food fight LOL
I love your story with the salad leaf and the ejecting radish XD =D that was hilarious. I too do not like tearing bread close to my food, or having my bread close to whatever I'm eating it with. I ask for an extra plate, or I just spread a napkin on the table to place my bread on if the waiters seem busy. Having long hair, I've also learned to brush it away from my face when eating, because yeah, I get stuff on there as well...sigh.
I'm unfortunately terrible with chopsticks...I am addicted to sushi rolls, but when I have them, I end up stabbing them in frustration when I try to use chopsticks. So I gave up and usually just use my fingers. I know how uncouth that must look, but I'm most comfortable eating them that way. It's like I don't know how much pressure I should apply with my fingers otherwise, and I end up squishing my little roll between the sticks and destroying it into crumbles. It's a struggle, and I just want to enjoy my meal.
When I have ramen or noodles I stick to using forks and soup spoons. I'm very good with pasta. It's just shovel and shove, straight-forward enough. Rice too, eventhough I get rice falling off the edges of my plate.
And you're absolutely right...I much prefer eating with my hands :) Pizzas seem to be the easiest thing in the world to eat. And sandwiches. Fruits. I like drinking my food too in the form of soups, shakes, smoothies.

In my case, it both helped and hurt that my social group from the the ages of 10 through 18 all appreciated and valued weirdness. It was a long time before I learned that "weird" was not "good" to most people, that it wasn't just a sign of creativity, uniqueness, etc. My friends were all NT, so though they appreciated and found humor in weirdness and eccentricity, they didn't identify as weird themselves, so they could always behave in a socially appropriate way, grew up, and live conventional lives (with still an appreciation of the silly/weird). But for me, I identified as weird and stayed weird.

It seems to me that the biggest reason NTs see us as different is because we do not have the "herding instinct" that they do. They want to belong to a group of some kind and be like everyone in the group. They all want to go along with the latest trend, wear the latest fashion and try to out do each other. I (and almost everyone else here) do not care about these things in the least. Most of the NTs that I encounter, see me as that "weird, old, smart dude" and I am fine with that.

I think that I'm eccentric. I don't want to attract attention to myself at all. It's just me when I do not want to pretend to be someone else.

Well, as you can see, I dye my hair in unusual colors, and now it's dark purple. I like men's clothes because it's comfortable, and clothes are two or more sizes larger than mine, because in them I feel comfortable and protected like under a blanket in bed or like a snail in shell? People are annoyed because of my androgynous style, they say that I should wear more "girlish" clothes, but I don't care.

Sometimes I laugh too loudly over anecdotes and can not stop. After that, my cheeks and stomach often ache. Before I found out about my diagnosis, I thought that my strange behavior is just part of my character. I can first tell a silly childish joke and make paper airplane, and a minute later, write a very serious and profound essay. People don't believe that someone can be a smart and childish at one time. because of that they are call me interesting and eccentric.

I do not like trends, fashion, cosmetics, talk about anything, talking on the phone. I like to tell and learn interesting facts, conspiracy theories, but when I start talking too much about it ... they think I'm from another planet. My behavior can not be foreseen and this frightens people. maybe they expect some reactions, but I will show other reactions because I do not have a template of "normal answer" for this situation. Maybe all that they cannot foresee is "eccentric"? I don't know. Everything is complicated.

My first thought when I read the question was a sarcastic ‘You think?’ o_O:D
I’ve realized, since I joined this forum, that I have been playing the NT rol way too much, and I need to (like in Frozen, sorry for the clichè) let it go, and by ‘it’ I mean my Aspie core and also my ADHD side.
One day I woke up and I realized that if all I do is make everybody else happy, then that’s exactly what happens, every body else, except me, ends up being happy.
My excentricities are tamed now but I am setting them free little by little.

Everyone else seems eccentric. It normal [for me] to have obsessional interests, social and physical awkwardness.

Then there are times I flip and don't care what anyone else thinks.

I'm eccentric and have been told. I am proud of this. I'd say all my aspire friends are a bit Eurocentric, only wear short, one randomly starts dancing etc. To be fair I know quite a few eccentric NT's.

I collect dolls, wear their clothes, have long nails. As well as other things. People think are eccentric but these things are just me.

I collect 1:6 scale. My Ken/GI Joe clothes would never fit me...
sarcastic-joe_orig.gif

I neglect mine until they start to break on their own. ⍝
I don't wear their clothes that was a typo. Although I wish I could a lot of theirs are nicer then mine.

Mine break and are kinda short at the moment but I don't cut one unless it is hanging or half broken.

Some people would probably think I'm a bit strange, but to quote a famous female UK comedy star whose name escapes me "Am I bothered? Do I look bothered?"

New Threads

Top Bottom