• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are Aspies/Auties More Prone to Exhibit Eccentric Behavior than NT’s?

When it comes to eccentric behavior, I

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sportster

Aged to Perfection
V.I.P Member
My intention is to start a discussion on the eccentricities of those on the spectrum compared to those that are not. Including myself and personal observations, it seems that those on the spectrum or more prone to eccentric behavior. That is to say, cast off what is considered the norm and doing our own thing be it disregarding the current fashion trend, music, whatever.

Personally, I have a few eccentricities that may be part of being on the spectrum. My suspenders that I wear, however, are for show (they do prevent "plumber's crack"). The kids love them and they set me apart from everyone else, as I am the only tech on the campus that wears them. They're definitely way outside the normal trends, but I don't care. I have some unusual interests and live a life that is not considered normal.

Last edited:
The first thing one could ask is: what does eccentric really mean? Who is eccentric for who? Is it just an euphemism for different, freakish and abnormal? This is the message that is send with the word eccentric. If someone is eccentric, then they are different, not normal and as such, they should start behaving like normal human should.

Of course, it's not what I think but this is what people many times do. Yes, I am different, eccentric for some, freakish for the rest. And you know what? I'm comfortable enough with myself at the moment and if others don't like it, like you said @Sportster , they can bite me.

I'm tired of people bs-ing about how unacceptable being myself is.

I think that everything comes to the 'walking to the rythm of one's own drum' that aspies are so known for. We don't do well with groups, in groups, we don't fully reciprocate all the behaviours. Individualists, I'd say. It seems agreeable to say that eccentric behaviour may be seen more in the people on the spectrum.

A few years ago, long before I'd even heard of ASD, I asked a friend if she thought I was becoming eccentric. Her answer was " What do you mean becoming "?
I fear my eccentricities are too numerous to mention, I'm just me.

I like being that weird old biker-looking freak that lives near the edge of the patch,but I'm too poor to be considered eccentric :p

You can be eccentric without being ASD but you can't easily be ASD without being eccentric.

1. eccentric
    adjective
    • 1(of a person or their behaviour) unconventional and slightly strange.

‘he noted her eccentric appearance’
  2. 2technical Not placed centrally or not having its axis or other part placed centrally.

‘a servo driving an eccentric cam’
    1. 2.1 (of a circle) not centred on the same point as another.
  3. 2.2 (of an orbit) not circular.

I have many eccentricities that I seek to hide, though people still notice an after-effect of unusual silence or I just let the weirdness slip out sometimes and make gaffes. There is the need for self-expression and acceptance of my eccentric self....then there is the cost: people don't like/understand/accept it, and I end up driving people away and feeling embarrassed. So for me, hiding it has been the way to go.

I do have eccentricities; for example, covering my ears whenever someone brings up a common topic that makes me uncomfortable. I wouldn't say I "totally offend the world by what I do, say, act, whatever and I don’t care", though. :D

People call me 'quirky' alot. This is a much more endearing term than 'weird' which I used to get called back in high school and college...I was a total social outcast back then, I couldn't make a genuine friend to save my life. Now that I'm older, people find me interesting and want to get to know me, and I'm the one trying to dial down my interactions with them. It's much 'cooler' to be 'different' these days than it was 10-15 years ago. So dumb :rolleyes:
As for my 'eccentricities'...I'm always the last person to laugh at jokes when in a group, I talk a little too loudly in social settings, especially when I'm excited, and giggle way too much uggghh...I space out alot, I am extremely fidgety, I get so distracted and anxious when there's music playing and bright lights, that I would freeze mid-convo (this happens when we're at cafes or restaurants, and it happens way too many times)...my eyes have a habit of darting around uncontrollably when I'm in deep/intense thought (like when I'm brainstorming at work), lots of head-jerks and lots of blinking and inaudible muttering to myself lol...and when I am enjoying my meal, I chew loudly without realizing. I'm also a very messy eater (somehow food gets on the table).
Many of these I realize only after they were pointed out to me (by a fellow Aspie). The last time I was on a date, I was cutting my steak, and the knife flung out of my hand and hit my date on the arm before landing on the floor. He was an Aspie too (with a different set of eccentricities), and we laughed about it (a little too loudly I'm sure). I also have this habit of tearing up kleenex (or paper...whatever is around) into little pieces when I'm bored or anxious.
In my case, my own particular quirks are definitely ASD related. I try to maintain a 'normal' or 'neurotypical' front otherwise, in the simplest way possible. I hate drawing attention to myself in public.

Our eccentricities betray our social blindness. We are not constrained by a box that we are vaguely aware of. Among the NT gifted, you could exchange "blindness" for "disregard."

I do believe, however, that we have an obligation to acknowledge basic ethics (if only the Golden Rule), even if we don't recognize the finer points of social convention.

Look at my signature... Lots of people have called me eccentric, I generally think I'm eccentric...

In what I wear... In winter I don't like wearing a ski jacket, I prefer proper winter coats, I just think they look better... And I'm not rich, I've found lots of great winter coats for cheap at thrift stores... And my hats? I refuse to wear a ball cap anymore, it has to have a full brim, or be a flat cap of some sort, and I always wear one of my 13 hats when I leave the house...

How I look... I've said it on here before, long hair and beard, I just like that look and appearance

My interests... I would say they are unconventional, I like collectibles of all sorts, mostly things that were made before I was born, and my musical interests are definitely off the mainstream, etc...

I could go on, is that Asperger's? :rolleyes: I do think the older you get it's generally more acceptable to be eccentric or "quirky", at least it seems that way to me in my experience, young people can be quite cruel to those who are different, much has said about that on here...

Well, if you think about it, what is conventional, non-eccentric is so boring that if some genie popped up, told me I could start my entire life over, and I had to say whether I still wanted to be eccentric or not, this is not a thing I would change. I am the way I am, and I'm actually pretty happy with that. I don't particularly try to conceal it (granted, I don't have eccentricities that would utterly shock people), because I'm not interested in having people in my life who would rather make me into what they like than like me for who I am.
I do have unusual tastes. I completely lack interest in certain popular topics, yet have extended knowledge on some weird things. I have my own style, not because I am trying to make a statement, but because fashion doesn't speak to me at all, and I base my choices on other things than trend (sensory processing being much more important than what a rando at the office will think, for example).
My hobbies are probably eccentric and yes, I would very much rather stay home and play fetch with my cat than go to the movies to see the latest blockbuster.
The number of times I've been in public and something has happened that had people ask "Are you OK?" or give me a bewildered look tends to show that I don't fit in that tiny circle where "regular" people are crammed, but it usually makes for some fun stories or memories.

The last time I was on a date, I was cutting my steak, and the knife flung out of my hand and hit my date on the arm before landing on the floor. He was an Aspie too (with a different set of eccentricities), and we laughed about it (a little too loudly I'm sure).
I laughed so hard at that anecdote. I once got carried away in a dinner conversation, somehow threw my fork into the air and onto the floor, and as I was sliding off the bar stool and under the table to pick it up, the waiter rushed with the usual "Are you OK?". I've also, several times, accidentally thrown forkfuls of food onto friends sitting across from me, and I'm thankful they would usually respond with something like "If you wanted me to taste your food, you know there are other ways to offer". Well, I've learned to put down the cutlery when I speak, since.

Well eccentric by definition means, "a person of unconventional and slightly strange views or behaviour". A person is only considered unconventional and/or with strange views or behaviour if they're different from the vast majority of people. This is one of the main aspects of being an aspie since aspies are in the minority while NTs are in the majority, so I would answer "Yes", aspies/auties are most definitely more prone to exhibit eccentric behaviour than NT’s. If however most people were aspies, then it would be NTs that would be considered eccentric as they'd be in the minority.

PS: People have considered me as eccentric.

I own ten black t-shirts, ten white t-shirts, five pairs of the same jeans and a few different hoodies. I pretty much wear some combination of the same thing every day and give zero damns if anyone cares; nobody's said anything about it yet anyway. I do change up my shoes of which I have too many for the stereotypical straight guy and I change up my jewelry a lot, ditto to that.

I just can't stand the insecurity of trying to pull off a fashionable look but not being sure if it looks good or not. I mean, I have no idea what looks good, just that this one look I have works just fine, and that's one big anxiety-monkey off my back.

I laughed so hard at that anecdote. I once got carried away in a dinner conversation, somehow threw my fork into the air and onto the floor, and as I was sliding off the bar stool and under the table to pick it up, the waiter rushed with the usual "Are you OK?". I've also, several times, accidentally thrown forkfuls of food onto friends sitting across from me, and I'm thankful they would usually respond with something like "If you wanted me to taste your food, you know there are other ways to offer". Well, I've learned to put down the cutlery when I speak, since.

:hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:
OMG that is so me!!! I'm in stitches imagining it...this is refreshing...I've never met anyone as terrible as me when it comes to being a 'food klutz'...I'm always the only one at the table with food and cutlery flying off my plate :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed: Not only do I end up staining my own clothes (a regular occurrence, the reason why I mostly wear black, but I'm working on it, I swear), I stained my date's when I attempted to feed him some mashed potatoes with gravy (most of it ended up on his jeans)...I was trying to be all sweet and romantic :kissingclosed: So I try to wipe it off, and ended up spreading the food around, making a bigger stain. I wanted to light his cigarette for him too afterwards, and he almost jumped off his seat :tearsofjoy::tongueclosed:

:hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:
OMG that is so me!!! I'm in stitches imagining it...this is refreshing...I've never met anyone as terrible as me when it comes to being a 'food klutz'...I'm always the only one at the table with food and cutlery flying off my plate :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed: Not only do I end up staining my own clothes (a regular occurrence, the reason why I mostly wear black, but I'm working on it, I swear), I stained my date's when I attempted to feed him some mashed potatoes with gravy (most of it ended up on his jeans)...I was trying to be all sweet and romantic :kissingclosed: So I try to wipe it off, and ended up spreading the food around, making a bigger stain. I wanted to light his cigarette for him too afterwards, and he almost jumped off his seat :tearsofjoy::tongueclosed:
;)
We could have a contest, but other people would assume it's an actual food fight.

When my plate is removed, I have the same amount of crumbs on the table as all of the other people combined (now I understand it's because I can't stand the thought of tearing bread over my food). My grandparents used to joke that they needed to get a chicken to dispose of all these extra crumbs.

I will spill, toss, spread, you name it. Once had a dinner function for work with salad leaves that were too large. I folded a leaf into a neat little bundle, and as it was approaching my mouth, I saw it spring open AND eject a piece of raddish onto some big shot seated next to me. I was mortified, but he was near-sighted (no, wait, the opposite, people who can't see crap when it's close), so that evened out without consequences :p
Another valuable lesson I've learned: foods you can eat with your hands are safer (maybe not less messy, but safer, still).
How good are you with chopsticks? Maybe it's the amount of concentration it requires, but I hardly ever have chopsticks accidents.

I used to dress a bit weird, and had long hair.

I can't be bothered now though - cargo shorts, comfy tee-shirt.

For work I wear a suit and tee-shirt, but I've been thinking about getting boots or something a bit quirky. I don't like looking like an office robot I think.

I also don't like people staring either, so it has to be balanced.

Does our eccentric behavior even have anything to do with being on the spectrum?

You could say that. I mean, my OCD being comorbid to being on the spectrum.

Though in my own case I've always tried to hide my OCD enough for people in my orbit not to notice beyond perhaps comments that I might be "finicky" about things. The main thing though is I simply don't discuss my everyday OCD thoughts and issues with much of anyone outside this forum. Otherwise I might just be locked up.

Imagine me being in a locked cell and being compelled to check the lock at least four times while I'm in it. Not because I want out, but simply because it's what I do. :eek:

Last edited:
Ugh, yeah, this sort of thing, I have alot of this sort of thing.

When it comes to appearance, I'm male but look a bit like a girl, which is odd enough (of course it's this bit that'll really bother some people). I also then never wear jeans but instead always sweatpants. Screw jeans with a fork. Shirt at least is normal-ish, but the 3-foot keychain wrapped around my arm is not. Which is the bit people will comment on. The thing's existence is baffling to them. Even more baffling is that there's only two keys on it, one of which goes to a door that doesnt exist. So it's this shining, jangling mass that defies explanation.

Of course all of that is on a normal day. I'd rather be in costume at some convention somewhere... lets me be myself in a way that normal clothing does not. Normal clothes are really boring anyway. How anyone takes an interest in that, I dont know.

And then of course other stuff. Little patience for anything, little desire to talk, an absolute loathing of certain topics (the mere mention of the word "politics" to me is a fantastic way to see if you can dodge the variety of things I will then throw at you), or the utter and total lack of giving a fart when it comes to things like relationships and romance (not interested, period). Or the bit where I can space out in the middle of doing something and then have no idea what I was doing. Or the fact that I do not watch and couldnt care less about movies... THAT apparently can blow someone's brain straight out their ears. Mention that one and it's like watching a Windows-based PC have a bluescreen moment.

Since all of this is so freaking weird to most people, I just dont even bother dealing with them most of the time and will keep to myself. Unless I'm at a convention. Then the 3-foot keychain is "boring" compared to whatever the heck is happening at those.

that tiny circle where "regular" people are crammed,

A very tiny circle indeed. Also a very boring one. I dont understand how the people in it can go 5 minutes without passing out due to an overload of dull.

I'm highly eccentric but can hide my eccentricity effectively. One of the many reasons why I enjoy solitude is that there are zero prohibitions on my eccentricity.

- i can't hide irritation, it shows up on my face immediately, it happens all the time, supposedly i can have a really nasty look when i'm irritated, it hasn't incentivised people to be my friend
- i can't stand light touch, which a few ex gf's found a bit strange
- my default setting is to analyse and to discuss based on logic, and to point out where people are not being so and pointing out why that probably is, i'm permanently in 'tricorder' mode
- my leg bounces up all the time, sometimes both of them depending on how uncomfortable i am
- when i have to leave an event, i have to leave immediately, not 5 minutes later, but now
- when people deviate from a plan or agreement or are late, i get upset/angry
- when i start something i have to finish it, started a game - set a goal - been playing 10hrs a day to achieve it and have blocked everything else out (including gf) - as soon as i've acquired what i want i lose interest - tend to like the grind of levelling - but don't really enjoy the purpose of a game - i'll grind the most expensive ship in a game - buy it - and never touch it again
- when people start talking smalltalk, i switch off and start thinking about something else that interests me
- based on my knowledge and understanding of a person and the nature and topic of a conversation, i listen to the person's opening position, i extrapolate the conversation in my head, know where and how it will probably end, this takes about a second, at this point i lose all interest, and the longer it takes to get where i assume it will end the more irritated and annoyed i get, see above about what my face will be dong during that time :)
- i keep my place in the dark and only turn on a light if i need it to do something
- i can't stand heat, it makes my quirks much worse, even in the winter i leave a window open in my space, to the chagrin of my gf
- can't stand noise, when i'm trapped and can't leave, i get angry and start mumbling

i don't have any friends, and don't feel that i need any, so i'm not really that worried about what other people think, i do see some people regularly (family) and i've told them my eccentricities to limit the damage, the eccentricities are not really the issue - it's just that the people that see them somehow make it about themselves and feel insulted - when you take that away it's all good :)

i'm lucky that my gf accepts me for who i am, in the rare situations when we are with people, she knows the signs and knows how to make me aware when things start going sideways. i usually realise myself, but always get so caught up in the moment and only realise after the fact,

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom