• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have an obsession they wish they didn't?

sixpakal

Personally, I've had and have many obsessions in my life. Most of them I'm actually quite proud to have, but there has been one obsession that I wish I was never fascinated by: headphones. Simple tool that allows you to listen to things on the go, but if brought up in conversation you can catch me talking hours about them. Most obsessions I have have a long conversation with people (well, external monologues) and know when to stop talking, but not with headphones. For some reason, I just can't stop spewing out what I know about them. Does anyone else here have an obsession that they wish they didn't for whatever reason?

Funny that you say you have a headphone obsession as that's my current obsession. I just bought semi-high-end phones, plan on getting my Koss Portapros fixed soon, and will be getting multiple pairs of high-end phones over the course of the next few months. Once I have like about five pairs of phones I'll probably get a nice headphone rack to set my phones on.

Anyway, I don't have obsessions I wish I didn't have.

OH GOOD! Two headphones people. What brand & type of noise cancelling headphones? I want to be able to put them on & hear virtually no sound from the outside. The ones I have now are so worn that I can't even see what brand they were. Any suggestions?

OH GOOD! Two headphones people. What brand & type of noise cancelling headphones? I want to be able to put them on & hear virtually no sound from the outside. The ones I have now are so worn that I can't even see what brand they were. Any suggestions?

Ha, I find this funny. Although I'm obsessed with headphones, I'm actually obsessed with open style headphones. It's quite literally the opposite of noise cancelling. In open style, the cans are not closed off. You can hear the outside world, and the outside world can hear your music.

Still want recommendations for noise cancelling? Try this link on for size.
How to Choose the Perfect Pair of Headphones
It's a good place to start your very own obsession.. :)

I love headphones. Not obsessed, but I've researched a great deal trying to find the perfect pair according to activity:

* Hearing music at home - Big ones that cover the whole ear.
* Riding Bicycles - Earplugs that stay attached but still let me hear incoming traffic.
* Gaming - Wired/Wireless, with mic, push to talk....

I can't just take any headphone and be happy. It has to be the right set for the activity.

As per obsessions I wish I didn't have... I wish I could ignore lies. When I'm lied to by somebody close to me, I obsess about find out the truth. I also obsess trying to find out why the person lied. More often than not I never find out and I lost way too much time just thinking about those issues.

All my other obsessions I'm quite proud of.

I seem to have a slight obsession with myself. I don't really know if I should call it an obsession in some sense I guess...

But in the past few years I've become so selfaware of myself, the way I think about things and just my general being as if I were to see myself in third person. I've subjected myself to way more scrutinization to what I do and why I do things. Why I like things, stuff like that. That by itself isn't bad, but I tend to overdo thinking about it a lot. As such I can express myself rather clearly in regards to action, preferences and issues I guess... it does help therapists a great deal to be so outspoken in how you perceive everyday and why you perceive it, but as such I sometimes wish I just went on with my life a bit more and just enjoyed things without wondering why I do.

The hardest part here, is that I can barely part from myself... any other object you could try to ignore... good luck ignoring your own being.

On a sidenote; this is extreme sense of selfknowing is probably also the reason a therapist wanted to label me with a narcissic personality disorder.

Becoming a bride. I always wanted to be one, to be married young, and it's not happening the way I wanted all my life.
It's a monumental thing for me.

Oh yes definitely, I think it would have to be a natural part of Aspie progression to become addicted to things and then grow sick of them but not be able to shrug them off ; ]

I've always been obsessed with the internet and video-games. I'm on all the time, or playing VG constantly. I usually get on for hours everyday of random internet surfing, i've been on for a good 8 years practically every day; i guess its a comforting way of handling my life and kind of ignoring panic. I know that it's hurt my life greatly, creating lots of distractions from important things and i've wasted years on pointless things. I wish i could just go out and enjoy life. Be social, take initiative and do things, reach all the goals in life i have. I want to become a responsible, social grown adult with friends and live for myself one day. Even though i know what i have to do, it still scares me. I know i have to change my life and do something, but im scared to change.

Well, yes.

Kevin Federline. And Britney Spears.

I don't know why I'm hooked to paparazzi of this filthy couple.

The husband can't rap, the wife can't really groove, and the couple is kind of, well, with weird deviation from the usual relationship involving pop stars. Because the man, obviously, has less name recognition and money than the lady.

I just am charmed by KFed. Other than that, I can't explain why I like to read the couple's news. And the couple is really stupid beyond imagination.

I like peanuts and I like butter but I absolutely hate Peanut Butter

similarly
I quite enjoy heads and I particularly like my phone but I do not get along with headphones
:bounce::cool:

Last edited:
Actually, come to think of it, I do have an obsession I kinda wish I didn't have: Cold cases -- especially unsolved Canadian murders.

When I spend lots of time reading about cold cases, I get depressed -- sometimes very much so. But once I start reading about cold cases, I can't stop.

Last edited:
@ Geordie: The paparazzi thing never grabbed me but I know the obsession with celebrity culture is widespread.

Actually, because of pop music & the shopping habits of young female consumers (young guys shop when they need something: many young women shop as a hobby!), in most such celeb couples the woman is earning much more than the man: even if the guy is a pro athlete! Female celebs get the lucrative modelling contracts for cosmetics firms, hair dye companies, perfumes & designers. Some male celebs may do a men's razor or perfume ad, but it doesn't pay the same as a woman will get for plugging mascara or shampoo!

If I lose something- I simply must find it- I will literally tear the house apart to find something that I don't even need- it might be a message/phone number scrawled on a bit of paper or info on a post-it note-a particular screw or nail a file or my passport-It drives me insane and I have spent all night looking for something then, in the early hours of the morning, once I have located said offending article, am I suddenly overcome with an overwhelming sense of relief and euphoria? NO of course not!I go into total rage for losing it in the first place and putting myself through so much stress. The worst is looking for stuff on the computer-this is a sure gaurantee that I will eventually break something- since my diagnosis I am more adept at controlling this- I went through countless phones, printers, laptops before I could finally stay calm enough not to damage my bank account.

Last edited:
Becoming a bride. I always wanted to be one, to be married young, and it's not happening the way I wanted all my life.
It's a monumental thing for me.

Weddings are my obsession I wish I didn't have. Mostly because unless someone is 6 or fewer months away from being married, they don't want to hear it. I'm constantly on wedding websites, buying the magazines, and saving photos to my hard drive for inspiration. Fortunately I've been able to make good money as a wedding photographer so I can get away with it without seeming really weird.

You're still young, Dizzy! You've got plenty of time. You're intelligent & very pretty so you've nothing to worry about. The older you are when you marry, the higher the odds of having a lasting marriage.

I'm obsessed with pugs. Everything to do with them & every colour, shape & size. I have to resist the temptation to adopt them by the bushel. Right now, I have one: a 3 yr old fawn coloured female. She's amazing!!! I'd love to have a black one too. BUT, with a Pug, a Great Dane & a long haired cat, let's just say that the vacuum cleaner & I are well acquainted. My obsession says "GOTTAHAVEMORE!!!" but my common sense says "WHO'SGONNACLEANAFTERTHEM?"

in most such celeb couples the woman is earning much more than the man: even if the guy is a pro athlete! Female celebs get the lucrative modelling contracts for cosmetics firms, hair dye companies, perfumes & designers. Some male celebs may do a men's razor or perfume ad, but it doesn't pay the same as a woman will get for plugging mascara or shampoo!

Which is why men have to withstand the pressures of female dominance through the money, and most likely, hence, influence in the family. This explains the breakdown of much celebrity relationships, as our current society emphasises a lot on glamour and power.

I really feel for K-Fed, he's just doing his thing, but he's to live with the double pressure of not being capable enough for Britney, and his gender's stereotyping working against him - he has to support Brit, not the other way round.

Oh yes, pups are really cute, Soup :)

" Which is why men have to withstand the pressures of female dominance through the money, and most likely, hence, influence in the family." -Geordie

Resisting change & progress is guaranteed to be a losing battle because very few of us women anywhere on Earth want to find ourselves dragged kicking & screaming back into the 17th century. What needs to happen is that we need to de-emphasize rigid sex role expectations & culturally entrenched gender related oppression. What gave some men the delusional idea that because they have XY chromosomes they are automatically, by some bizarre default, entitled to dominate women?

I expect there to be a period of adjustment &, of course, some resistance. Education, communication & legislation (like more severe consequences for domestic violence) will help people adjust to the new modern world. Neither partner needs to dominate the other.

Once couples are wealthy & both have multimillion $ incomes, earning power no longer dictates who rules the roost. What happens in those couples is the craving for FAME & a clash of huge egos used to constant attention. That & constantly living under media & public scrutiny. The stress on these couples is unbelievable.

New Threads

Top Bottom