• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone extremely moody?

chesh

For the last 6 months I've been very hard to deal with even to myself. It's causing a strain on my relationship and making me a more hostile person. I can't figure out why I've just suddenly become so aggressive even though I am medicated. The most recent incident came out of literally no where when I was browsing a site for shoes I just suddenly got overcome by anger then sadness and got thrown into a panic attack. Is this mental or is it physical? Has anyone else on here had this problem? I would love to hear back and hopefully find some way to relief so I may stop being a burden on everyone else.

I have that occasionally, most often when I've switched dosages either up or down, or when I've gone through an intense period of being stuck or of decisions by others that I can't control. It's as if my ability to manage my responses becomes more limited and I lose my sense of self-calibration. For me, it seems to be connected to ugly memories trying to get my attention after I've decided not to let them dominate me. I may have gone to talk therapy, I may be on my meds, but something in the environment hits a trigger I didn't know I had, and suddenly I'm ambushed by emotion. The most I can do is breathe, apologize for whatever I said or did, and let myself feel both the feeling and the fear I have of the feeling's ability to ambush me. Sometimes I flee to the nearest cafe for tea, or to the water fountain to run water over my forehead. Have some "protocols" for protecting myself against impulsive action has really helped me.

Your solution depends on what comforts you that you can easily get to, whatever those are for you. And, carefully, look at what connections your own wild mind is making. That's what I think we are: wild minds.

Oh god yes. I think for me its a stress thing mostly, and things like a lack of sleep or being kinda hungry at any given moment exaserbate it. Like today i was on my laptop this morning - just got it back, been without a functioning laptop for nearly two weeks. I'm attached at the hip to my laptop so i was elated to have it back and working....until i figured out that itunes didn't backup all my songs AND neither did my flash drive. I practically saw red it took everything i had not to hit my laptop. I'm sure all that hitting my laptop is why the harddrive crashed in the first place so i can't go hitting it the first day i have it back up and working with a brand new hard drive.

And that's just today. Anything and i mean anything will trigger a total and complete mood change. A mean or rude customer at work is a frequent mood change trigger for me. Hell even *thinking* about a situation that *could* occur but never has - catastrophosizing, i think its called? Idk, my imagination runs away with me at times and i get upset over something that i literally just made up in my head five seconds ago wondering oooh what if this happens and then this happens and then this person says this.

I find that the only real, solid helpful thing for me if i'm in a bad, particularly moody spot is the comfort of either my bed or the armchair at bubba's (i babysit him). Curling up and getting all comfy i relax and don't want to leave my new warm and comfy spot so no matter how moody i am, i won't act on it be it whatever it may be. If that's not an option, mindlessly snacking works too. Its not a good habit but somehow if my hand and mouth are busy it helps control a bad mood.

I have that almost constantly.
I guess some people just have a tendency to lash out more often than others.

Vacation could help. Going out as well. Anything, just so you could relax from that fast world.

I do not get angry for no reason, but yes, when I do, it is like a small ball of hot red fire, that gets hotter and hotter, and I admit that I end up swearing and hate that, because I hate swearing!

I can control my anger though, because always in the back of my mind is how unreasonable I am being and even though, I could easily throw my laptop or what ever it is, that has caused the anger, across the room; I have this thing that I would regret and thus, stops me.

I am also a christian and so, beg my God to help me calm down!

I battle with this, totally know what you mean.. Can go from happy and relaxed to back up very very quickly. Which is a problem since I'm on the phone to customers every day.

I get the same with embarrassment, my mind regularly goes - Oh by the way, remember that time you did something ridiculous and made an idiot of yourself and everyone wad laughing? And i relive the embarrassment all over again. Sometimes for things that happened 15 years ago.

In regards to mood swings - stress makes me volatile. I have, previously thought i may be bipolar as it was very very hot and cold when i was in an incredibly deep dark emotional hole.

Food (that I have eaten or smelled) plays a large role in my feelings, physical and emotional.

If I were to drink cow milk, within an hour I would be crying, confused to the point of dyslexia.
Smell tobacco, tomatoes, potatoes......extreme depression, feel that all is hopeless. Pain in joints & muscles.
Sugar.....I don't eat sugar or sweet fruit. Used to eat sugar, have seizures. Don't love sugar enough to suffer for it.

I've noticed that it's a common stereotype (or assumed characteristic; it's not entirely without merit) that aspies are apathetic, or at least don't show their emotions. I'm living proof that that's bullsh*t, for me at least. I'm a creature who is dominated by passion. I suffer from depression and am prone to get very angry over things that are important to me. I also have periods of almost manic-like elation, in which I feel unstoppable and apprehensive, and then, as is to be expected, it all comes crashing down in a ball of fire. I just wish things would settle down for me. I'm not asking for constant orgasmic-like euphoria, just to be content and happy more often.

Interestingly, I took an online test recently that said my probability of having cyclothymia (basically, a more mild version of bipolar) is very high. Probably likely, but as I like to say: life is the one that's bipolar, I'm just riding the tide.

I can be very moody, especially lately for some reason. Like yesterday, I was having trouble getting my wifi to work. This caused me to spiral into rage and self loathing. I just wanted to start smashing things, but didn't because I have more self control than that. I realized at the time that my level of frustration was disproportionate, but that really didn't stop the incident from bringing me to tears and freaking out my family.

I get moody if I am pushed to go beyond my ability to process and communicate and often it is services that make me do it. i had police shine a LED torch in my face stating they did not know it would affect me and I became totally mute and had a shutdown. i can usually control myself to get a point across and then calm down.

I get moody if I am pushed to go beyond my ability to process and communicate and often it is services that make me do it. i had police shine a LED torch in my face stating they did not know it would affect me and I became totally mute and had a shutdown. i can usually control myself to get a point across and then calm down.

Yikes! I hope they were professional about it. I could see some police getting really impatient and mean in that situation.

My husband is an Eagle Scout and he says the scouts who shine lights in people's faces don't get the privelege of carrying a flashlight any more... Maybe more cops should be Scouts?!

Really sorry about that experience! That would have set me off too.

As to moodiness, I was glad to read this thread because I really struggle with it, especially in regards to anger. I am glad that others share my experiences because almost everyone I know just blames me for not being able to control my anger, which just makes me feel worse and more trapped. I don't like to make excuses, so I hate it when asking for help is regarded as "making excuses".

I've gotten moodier with age. When I was young I simply never felt anger, just sadness and depression whenever it would be normal to feel angry. Around age 21 I started feeling real anger and, especially at first, I found it overwhelming and confusing as I had no idea how to cope.

I enjoy self help books and have found some good techniques from those.

Have you considered that your mediciation could be alterted?

I'm taking seroquel for sleep but it has made me less moody as side effect (it's also made me groggy all day so I might not stay on it). But the even temperament is kind of nice, less highs and lows. I find myself saying 'okay' and 'sure' and 'whatever' a lot where it used to be firm yes and no. It's not worth the sleepiness though.

I hope that through studying or medication or whatever means...you can find relief!

I get moody around certain people. I find that I get moody when I'm around my family and they don't treat me with respect. I rarely get moody while at work or with my friends. I tend to get more moody when my mum's not in a good mood. It's more of a teary-eyed and choked-up moody than an angry moody. It's earned me the nickname, Mick Avory. I've had that type of a day with my mum. She was pissed off at my niece all day, and she's also been taking it out on me. I feel all teary-eyed and choked-up just thinking about it. I didn't feel like talking today. I kept on retreating into my shell and playing slot machines on Facebook. That went on for five hours. I can't wait to go home, tomorrow. If mum's not happy, nobody's happy.

I can get moody or annoyed very easily. Especially with people. It wasn't like that when I was young, but the last few years it doesn't take much to make me angry. Maybe my camel is constantly walking around with one straw too little and anything that slightly annoys me breaks his back. Sometimes it gets to the point that I get annoyed with myself for constantly getting annoyed about what other people are doing. A few weeks ago I realized there are basically no shows I really watch cause I dislike all the characters. I can barely stand sitcoms, cause the characters are so stereotypical that I can't bare to watch them. Add that to stupid things people do in daily life and it's a constant moodfest. :(

I think the parts of my brain (so to speak) that are responsible for anger and fear were given way too much room to grow. If I had been disgnosed when young it's possible that by now the fear and anger would've been trimmed back quite a bit. I am trying to modify them with various means: aerobic exercise, creative endeavors, and my therapist is helping. Fear and anger cause me a lot of difficulties; that is an understatement.

My mother used to tell people that, as a child, I never got angry.
This apparently meant that I was not supposed to get angry
and if I did, nobody would pay any attention. Or maybe that's
really how it seemed to her. Or for all I know, maybe that's how
I was. I really don't know.

She still glories in telling people that my sister has 'quite a
temper,' how she gets very angry and then gets over it.
This is a treasured characteristic, it seems.

I don't understand how this situation developed.

While it is true that I experience anger,
it is not true that I am comfortable expressing that feeling
toward another person. I am non-confrontational to the point
that I will edit posts in which I have used the word "you,"
changing the word "you" to "a person."

I am not saying that my mother is responsible for this
or that my every action as an adult is rooted in my childhood.

As an adult I am not considered to be 'moody.' It is necessary
to find out whether I have eaten lately, though, to determine
how much brain power, resilience, coping ability I have on hand.

PS: I am thinking now of anecdotes my mother liked recounting about me as a child.
1. People expecting to look in on the sleeping baby & then being surprised to see
blue eyes looking back at them. Not making noise. Not at all. Just looking back.
2. Me, age 4, marching resolutely with a 2 by 4 to bash an older girl who
had dumped sand on my head [in my yard, in my sandbox] one too many times.

To add my own experiences; yes, I am extremely moody. Most people don't realize this, however, as I have learned to put up a good front in public. I am also able to subconciously delay emotional resposens until I am in a safe environment. As a result my parents are the ones who bear witness to most of my mood swings and ravings. Even then, I tend to hide from them when I am at my worst, so they don't know the half of it.

For the most part I don't lash out at others. My anger and frustration is generaly directed toward myself, even when the source of agitation is extrinsic to me. I try hard not to get stuck in a vicious cycle of self deprecation, but this is difficult at times.

I think I've been a moody person over the last few years without knowing/facing the reason.
It took a split from my Ex & a debt for me to face that I'm on the spectrum with some baggage.
I'd somewhat foolishly buried the concept of the debt in the back of my mind after I lost employment
last year, but it was still radiating negative energy, that I automatically supressed; without acknowleging
it's source. Naturally it caused me to zone out, be indifferent or distant. Which people could sometimes
missapropriate my 'vibe' as being caused by them.

Moods are expressions, they can be deliberate, justified, caused by others, food, environment or just plain
natural. If I get moody I either stay in & play around on my PC, playing games or play around in Studio One
with some synthesizers. If I can't stand the tech I try to get out, help someone or just go for a walk. Nothing
beats a good walk in the country or by a river for lifing the fuge holding me down.

I also find myself agreeing with Datura above & that last part about directing it towards oneself, been doing that
for years. Though for me I feel it was due to being bullied from a young age because may parents are english.
Not that I let any of that old history affect me now.

Nice pic to lift your moods.
20150707_142045[1].jpg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom