• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else here dislike being photographed?

CJinherPJs

Professional Weirdo
V.I.P Member
I have a "thing" about cameras and I HATE IT! At school people used to take photos of each other, and a few of them tried to photograph me, which I didn't like. If somebody pointed a camera in my direction I try to duck out of the shot, run away, or cover my face with my hands. I still do that now, possibly because of the fear of where the picture might end up.

So, does anyone else get this?

Yep, I hate being photographed, you have to consent to be photographed too so in all due they shouldn't be allowed to take pictures of you without your permission.

I wouldn't mind it as much if the flash didn't bother me and my face didn't look weird. I'm not very good at faking it when it comes to a smile or portaying myself as if I were in the moment.

What's ironic, I went through some family albums. I have so many pics of each family member but I don't have very many of me. My mom often refers me to the missing child whenever we go through our family photos.

I don't mind when I'm taking it because I know what poses to make and I would have to be known in advanced if I wanted to get my picture taken, but if someone was taking it, I would normally start hating it but I do try to appreciate it to the point where I actually love the pic since I naturally take pretty good pictures.

I get really anxious and hyper-aware of my body... which usually end up with really awkward pics. It's worse if it's someone I'm not comfortable with taking the picture. Sometimes if I'm in a really giddy mood I can enjoy it though.

In a wal mart some stranger tride to cel fone pic me so
I screamed "STRANGER!!! BAD PICTURE!!!" got the security
gards all on his butt and I made a statment to police that
I was handicapped and did not ask for that stranger to
foto me. Might have to go in to make another statement or
press charges.

I used to hate getting my photograph taken as I always looked stupid/odd in them. Now though I'm the complete opposite, I'm developing a special interest in taking photos. I take a lot of photos of everywhere I go, only problem is that I'm not often in any because I'm too shy to ask my friends to take one of me. That's the thing, I'm the camera man and thus mostly behind the camera. I still get fussy about my photo being taken though, usually have to take about 50 to get one perfect.

It depends on the situation, and how I'm feeling at the moment. If I feel I look like crap, then there's no way I'll let my picture get taken. If I think I look decent enough, then I might be willing to have my photo taken.

Dislike being photographed?

I loathe it!

I look like an escaped mental patient, in drag, after a forty mile run, while being chased by rabid muskrats… and that’s, in every picture!

No seriously, I always come away looking like a cereal killer, it goes towards an explanation of why there are so very few photos of me in the extensive family albums mother kept.
I had someone take one recently and I wanted her to delete it but she wouldn’t and now that we are no longer friends I just know she is somehow using it in conjunction with the dark arts or showing it to friends as evidence that giant arseholes can grow legs, maybe something equally as spiteful or maybe worse (of course that could just be my imagination)

Oooh... excuse the language please ; ]

I don't really like it either and I don't really know why, except that a lot of times when I see the picture I see something about the way I am standing or the expression on my face or the way my clothes hang, that could have been corrected if the photographer had said something. For example, I am large breasted and one time in a group photo I was wearing a sweater and somehow it got off kilter so that when the picture was taken it really emphasized my breasts. I really don't appreciate it, not being told that something is askew. I know many times they are in a hurry to get the picture and go but really now?

Usually, especially when the photographer takes a while to snap the picture. I would get impatient and start blinking or staring elsewhere. I also cannot hold a smile for more than 5 seconds. In those pictures, I look like I have "problems" or ADHD since I would look elsewhere and not smiling while everyone else is smiling and looking at the camera. I do like being part of action shots though since it's more natural.

Wow, do I ever hate being photographed. I am physically unable to look at a camera properly. Really.

Usually, especially when the photographer takes a while to snap the picture. I would get impatient and start blinking or staring elsewhere. I also cannot hold a smile for more than 5 seconds. In those pictures, I look like I have "problems" or ADHD since I would look elsewhere and not smiling while everyone else is smiling and looking at the camera. I do like being part of action shots though since it's more natural.

Yes, I lose the pose all the time, and also prefer natural action shots. My forced smiles are atrocious. For my final year level school photo at primary school, I did my best to look happy, but the photographer stopped the shoot and said, "someone's being silly here." I waited for this to be dealt with, being accustomed to other students wasting time and playing up while I sat there attentively and maturely. Then the man said, "third row, sixth from the left." Not having the exact grid layout of the picture in my head, I looked around to count who it was. Then the man suddenly said, "there, the boy who's looking at everyone else," most accusatorially. NTs can be so stupidly presumptuous.

I dislike it also. Found a way to combat that problem though- by this point all my friends and family know I'm a photographer so they always have me bring my nice camera to social events, where everyone is afraid to touch it because of all the buttons, so I end up being behind the camera the whole time. I just neglect to mention that is has a timer. Win-win.

I too hate being photographed but I love to take pictures of other things namely my dolls but I have a hard time with my visual impairment looking right at the camera. Plus I just hate being the one on the receiving end of a photo. yuck.

I don't neccesarily "whore" myself in front of camera like way too much people do nowadays. I don't really mind being on photographs, but I do mind it if they're taking at random. I never had a problem when I was performing on stage with bands in the past, but just making silly pictures where I'm sneezing, yawning or doing anything that, to me, isn't really worth a Kodak moment, I rather not.

With that, I feel that sometimes I kinda look like I don't want to be on pictures. If I don't really have to go places and all, I might not shave, and look more messy then I usually do. I don't know if I'm vain or anything, but if I actually go places I want to look somewhat decent... it's just that the entire concept of "I have to go somewhere thus I have to force myself to shave and look fine/clean" is way to much for me most of the time. Mind you, it's not that I don't shower or put on fresh clothes.. but more the entire hassle of looking presentable somehow annoys me if I have to maintain that on a daily basis. I remember years ago when I shaved my head, I actually had to force myself to shave each day, because I hated the look of my hair growing back. And a while after that, I finally grew it back I went for a small mohawk of sorts, but at some point I was like... I don't want to do this each day.

So hating to be on pictures, no.. not really, but at least make it a decent picture. I can be quite annoying if it comes to FB pictures people tag me in and I feel lighting is bad and all... I'm no expert myself, but some people are really, really bad in "capturing the moment". Clearly taking a picture of someone that looks crap but just gives a representation of "the moment" is like doing linedrawings instead of showing a painting... the idea is there, but it looks like a terrible representation.

Has anyone here ever practiced posing or smile techniques? I don't mind being photographed as much as I used to, however I dislike the fact that I look the same in nearly every photo.

Clearly taking a picture of someone that looks crap but just gives a representation of "the moment" is like doing linedrawings instead of showing a painting... the idea is there, but it looks like a terrible representation.

That's quite a clever analogy.

Last edited:
I don't dislike being photographed, but it's true that I simply cannot produce a natural-looking smile. I try all the time, but I can't.

Yes, I lose the pose all the time, and also prefer natural action shots. My forced smiles are atrocious. For my final year level school photo at primary school, I did my best to look happy, but the photographer stopped the shoot and said, "someone's being silly here." I waited for this to be dealt with, being accustomed to other students wasting time and playing up while I sat there attentively and maturely. Then the man said, "third row, sixth from the left." Not having the exact grid layout of the picture in my head, I looked around to count who it was. Then the man suddenly said, "there, the boy who's looking at everyone else," most accusatorially. NTs can be so stupidly presumptuous.

Wow. I would've flown into a rage. How did you handle that?

New Threads

Top Bottom