• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another TV show with an Aspie

Judge

V.I.P Member
NBC's "Allegiance". They must be trying to capitalize on the audience watching both CBS' "Scorpion" and FX's "The Americans".

It's about a CIA analyst with an incredible understanding of everything except perhaps social issues. To me it seems rather transparent that he's an Aspie. Might be an amusing show, given that most of his family are in fact, SVR illegals. (Russia's foreign intelligence agents)

At first with CBS' "Scorpion" I though such a premise was better than "Big Bang Theory" characters. However now I just wish writers and their networks would come up with a premise other than socially-inept "geniuses".

Allegiance - NBC.com

My Ma told me about this show, Judge. She said the main character is supposed to be an Aspie.

No question...but it's again a cliched stereotype. It might push ratings, but it certainly does nothing to enlighten Neurotypicals about us as real human beings.

I don't mind the stereotype as it presents in Criminal Minds with the character Spencer Reid. As long as they leave it up to the audience to decide if the characters are aspie or not, and don't make fun of the character, i don't mind. I like how they present Reid in Criminal Minds. What are these other shows like, Scorpion and Allegience? I haven't seen them before. I'm interested, just to see what they're like and what this is i keep hearing about aspie characters. Can i find them online? No scratch that - can i find their pilot episodes at any safe, reputable, *free* sites online that won't try to give me viruses?

Can i find them online? No scratch that - can i find their pilot episodes at any safe, reputable, *free* sites online that won't try to give me viruses?

Stick to the actual networks online. Some offer free episodes, some do not. And may not archive anything but the most recent episodes. In my case I just use video on demand, so I usually don't need the web to view past episodes of a number of shows.

NBC's "Allegiance". They must be trying to capitalize on the audience watching both CBS' "Scorpion" and FX's "The Americans".

It's about a CIA analyst with an incredible understanding of everything except perhaps social issues. To me it seems rather transparent that he's an Aspie. Might be an amusing show, given that most of his family are in fact, SVR illegals. (Russia's foreign intelligence agents)

At first with CBS' "Scorpion" I though such a premise was better than "Big Bang Theory" characters. However now I just wish writers and their networks would come up with a premise other than socially-inept "geniuses".

Allegiance - NBC.com

I watched one episode. The show seems interesting, even though I'm not sure if I'll be watching again. We had a little laugh when bunch of Russian officials started speaking Russian and then switched to English :)
As for the young guy character (I don't remember his name), it becomes a little tiring when somebody, who presumably have Asperger's, has incredible memory. I haven't read creators view on his possible diagnosis or lack of it, maybe he's just a regular guy with good memory and concrete thinking, I don't know. :) It would be nice for a change to see a character with no memory, like me :) [emoji14]

- Tell me where were you yesterday between 2 and 4pm?
- I don't know. I don't remember.
- Do you remember anything about yesterday?
- I don't know.
- You must remember something.
- Was it a joke? Were you sarcastic? I'm not sure if it's funny or not.

But, in the end, these type of characters (geniuses with incredible memory, ability to pay attention to details but socially awkward) seem to interest a lot of viewers nowadays, I guess. :)

Allegiance - NBC.com
The thing about "Big Bang Theory" is that no one could possibly take those characters too seriously. It is so obvious that Big Bang Theory is spoofing caricatures, making fun of caricatures rather than of actual personality types.

But other shows that are more "serious" (in quotation marks because I don't take those shows too seriously) are far more likely to cause misperceptions.

There's definitely a feel of 'cashing in on AS/ASD traits' to some of the programmes coming out in the last few years, some carry it well like Criminal Minds' Spencer Reid and a number of characters in CSI, I love Big Bangs' comedy approach and how about the SciFi Stargate Atlantis' Rodney Mckay?
I've only seen one episode of Scorpions and personally wasn't impressed, it just seemed a bit of a rehash in my opinion and the 'Genius' wasn't as impressive as some of the normal characters in Criminal Minds (sorry about that, any fans of the show).. I haven't seen Allegiance yet, but I'll certainly give it a go.
Why don't they have Anxiety/Depression/Meltdown/Tripping-over-your-own-feet situations?

And yet another new sci-fi tv show with the main character likely being on the spectrum.

"Kirsten"...and the series is called "Stitchers" on the Family Channel Tuesday nights.

Can you believe it? I think I just found yet another show with a potential Aspie as the main character. A vigilante hacker named Eliot Alderson who seeks justice in an unjust world.

USA's "Mr. Robot". Very interesting story line. Certainly not anything like CBS' "CSI: Cyber".

Mr. Robot (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He might be potentially aspie, but he has been far too normalized with his substance abuse issues, and he has friends. While he was somewhat off he felt more like a hipster with issues than an aspie. Mind you the show is not a bad watch, I just do not empathize with the main protagonist as being aspie rather than a hipster with drug issues.

I don't empathize with the main protagonist whether he's considered to be on the spectrum or not. But that's nothing new. I was fascinated by "Mad Men" as well, yet there wasn't a single recurring character on the show that I liked. Same for the protagonist in "Stitchers". But they all have interest story lines to work with...which keeps me watching.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom