• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An Odd Fear Of Mine

AustinTheAspie

Just Another Member
Okay, this is probably going to sound incredibly stupid to some people on here, but this is a very real fear of mine; I'm afraid that if I truly be the person I am, which is a fun-loving, nice, but weird as hell dude, that I'll get murdered by someone for being me. This fear has been crippling me for years, and I've turned into a very withdrawn, introverted person because of it. I'm afraid that I'll end up saying the wrong thing to someone by accident, and that I'll just get shot/stabbed/beaten to death on the spot because of it. What the hell is wrong with me?? Is this paranoia, or is it an actual fear? Any advice would help. I have to move on from this, because it's driving me F**KING CRAZY!!!!!!

Well paranoia is a type of fear. I think it's very unlikely you're going to get seriously done in by behaving as your true self. But if you're really worried about that you should think about the situations where this attack could happen. I would think was would be more likely to happen in a bad neighbourhood or at a disreputable pub or bar rather than a normal conversation with someone in an everyday situation.

Most likely an eye roll or a snub for saying the wrong thing.

Not beaten to death, although the pain of the first one can last longer.

I guess your mind has increased the fear of the first one... into the more symbolic beaten to death.

Try humor, if something strange comes to mind say
'If I say something strange will you beat me to death?'
Then say you're strange thing , not what you've already said sounds strange so the second thing won't be so bad.

You can't possibly be serious if you say something like that, but you qualify as weird..
It is also a way of getting good your fear out there without actually admitting you have that fear...
It should the dissipate.

That's sort of my approach, get the disclaimer out first...
(Humorous one,as above)

Then people seem less likely to take offence and you become a bit more relaxed and a bit more you.

I guess if what you mean you would say things out right to homosexual people of muslims etc, then there is a good chance it won't bode well with you, but if it is really silly things, then generally the worst can happen is complete disapproval which is what I receive.

I narrowly missed saying something innappropriate ( not really that bad, but the person I was texting would take it as that way).

I used to be like you very much; afraid to be myself in case myself was frowned on or worse: get away from me, kind of thing and so, I would watch myself very close so that I did not say or do something that would get me in trouble and all that resulted in, was me not knowing who I was and thus, when ever I was asked a personal question, I could never answer, because I just did not know the answer.

It is different now, because I am beginning to see that my true self is not so obhorrant and those I feel most comfortable with seem to relish my company and thus helps me.

I don't like to be around people for too long, because I am always concerned that it will end badly due to me saying what seems innocent enough, but in fact is shocking; just doesn't seem shocking to me, which makes me want to end the situation fast.

I've always been afraid of being myself. I got bullied in school and that's just left me in a place where I'm afraid of just being me. I'm afraid that, if I be myself, people wouldn't like the person I am. And I am incredibly weird and that makes me self-conscious around other people. Like what will they think if I say this or do that? So I can definitely relate to this. I'm in a place where I don't know what to do about it.

I worry about saying things and showing myself up, I also got badly bullied at school for being quiet; people thought I was 'stuck up'.

Are you open minded because what I'm about to say may come across as, weird.

This could be also linked to a past life event, don't flame me for this :)

Well, I was abused growing up. That just left me in a state of fear. There was one time where I was afraid of going to school. In school, I stayed quiet most of the time. Didn't talk to anyone. I think past traumatic events have an effect on brain chemistry. I think it could change your entire personality. That's why ppl who have been abused could develop some kind of personality disorder. I've been told by a past psychiatrist that I have traits of borderline personality, but I was never officially diagnosed with it.

Well, I was abused growing up. That just left me in a state of fear. There was one time where I was afraid of going to school. In school, I stayed quiet most of the time. Didn't talk to anyone. I think past traumatic events have an effect on brain chemistry. I think it could change your entire personality. That's why ppl who have been abused could develop some kind of personality disorder. I've been told by a past psychiatrist that I have traits of borderline personality, but I was never officially diagnosed with it.
You might find some help and like-minded people at www.aspergerexperts.com. They have a lot of free information as well as some paid courses. The guys that run the site have Asperger's so they know what they are about. Also I hope you can find a therapist or psychologist that has experience working with people on the spectrum. Best of luck to you!

Okay, this is probably going to sound incredibly stupid to some people on here, but this is a very real fear of mine; I'm afraid that if I truly be the person I am, which is a fun-loving, nice, but weird as hell dude, that I'll get murdered by someone for being me.

It's not stupid, Austin.

We are a species which seems to gravitate towards a "hive mentality" where being different is fundamentally contemptible, rejecting others accordingly who somehow just don't fit into the social majority.

A social dynamic manifested almost every day in the news. One I was completely oblivious to as a child until around the age of nine, when all of a sudden my own peers at school decided I wasn't enough like them, so I was in need of being persecuted for reasons I couldn't rationalize.

New Threads

Top Bottom