• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice on what to do/see in Bangkok and surroundings?

AuroraBorealis

Hi everyone, my sister and I will travel to Bangkok/Thailand for a week. We won't have a car and are looking for things to do either within Bangkok itself or at destinations within few hours around Bangkok where you can get with a pre-booked tour. My sister isn't very adventoury. I am looking forward to it a lot, but I am also quite anxious because my few impressions from Bangkok are mostly big, loud, crowded, bright (I'm sure it's very beautiful, please don't get me wrong, but I am fearing a meltdown, or several).
For one day, we have a trip to an elephant-shelter which is supposed to be a good one where they treat the elephants well. That's the part I am looking forward to the most, because it will be outside the loud city and because I feel most comfortable around animals. But for the other days, we are still looking and I am trying to find places that aren't too overstimulating. A few noisy, crowded places are certainly fine, but not all the time. We are planning to see a few temples which will hopefully be quieter than the streets.

Are there some of you who have been to Bangkok + surroundings and have advice for beautiful and maybe a bit less-sensory-overwhelming places you can recommend? I love everything natury, especially if there's water (like sea, lake, river, stream), animals, flowers, plants. Maybe no markets or stores, since we already have some planned.

Thank you!

53358337732_e2871442c6_c.jpg
This is a pink monk tower just outside Bangkok. You can actually walk up the stairs inside the dragon. Bangkok is very touristy, so perhaps just realizing there will be very crowded areas, there is much hustle and bustle, and to just slow down when it gets too much.

Last edited:
You know that people sell their own toddlers to human trafficking rings in Thailand. I would not want to visit. Especially as a woman. And then you have to remember that whole region of countries, no matter how touristy, are still politically unstable after decades of colonialization, civil war, and terrorism.

All that glitters is not gold.

Hi everyone, my sister and I will travel to Bangkok/Thailand for a week. We won't have a car and are looking for things to do either within Bangkok itself or at destinations within few hours around Bangkok where you can get with a pre-booked tour. My sister isn't very adventoury. I am looking forward to it a lot, but I am also quite anxious because my few impressions from Bangkok are mostly big, loud, crowded, bright (I'm sure it's very beautiful, please don't get me wrong, but I am fearing a meltdown, or several).
For one day, we have a trip to an elephant-shelter which is supposed to be a good one where they treat the elephants well. That's the part I am looking forward to the most, because it will be outside the loud city and because I feel most comfortable around animals. But for the other days, we are still looking and I am trying to find places that aren't too overstimulating. A few noisy, crowded places are certainly fine, but not all the time. We are planning to see a few temples which will hopefully be quieter than the streets.

Are there some of you who have been to Bangkok + surroundings and have advice for beautiful and maybe a bit less-sensory-overwhelming places you can recommend? I love everything natury, especially if there's water (like sea, lake, river, stream), animals, flowers, plants. Maybe no markets or stores, since we already have some planned.

Thank you!
It will be an adventure. Stay on the well-worn tourist paths. And try to avoid being out alone.

Learn to use the subway and sky train to get around. Then, of course, there are the Tuk Tuks.

You must try the night markets. There you will be able to try some amazing food. If you find a vendor that makes Kanom Bueang (taco like crispy crepes filled with coconut cream) pick up a bag. You can't eat just one. Then, if you want to go to the place that put Pad Thai on the map, go to Pad Thai Thipsammai. Their supreme, rather than having the egg scrambled into the noodles comes with the noodles wrapped in a paper thin layer of egg.

I'd also recommend going to visit and tour the Jim Thompson house. He revitalized the Thai silk industry and the silk clothing for sale is costly, but of incredible quality.

The Grand Palace is worth touring. I especially liked the murals depicting the Ramakien, the Thai version of the Ramayana.

If you would you want an adventure of sorts, go for a Sak Yant tattoo. These are sanscrit prayers. The arjan interviews you and decides on the prayer and its placement. It was an intense experience for me.

Near to Bangkok is Ayutthaya. There you can tour the Bang Pa In summer palace (rent a golf cart). The highlight for me was a visit to Wat Chaiwatthanaram because I wanted to see its Khmer architecture.

I believe the elephant sanctuary is in Kanchanaburi. There is also the death railway and the Bridge on the River Kwai. There is lovely resort near it, U Inchantree Kanchanaburi, that I would highly recommend if you are staying a night. I ate at a restaurant nearby and had things like wild boar in red curry (fiery hot). You can cool down with some nice mango or pomelo and walk the bridge if you want to.

Here is me getting the Sak Yant, and the prayer itself.

IMG-20220501-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220501-WA0005.jpg

Enjoy yourself and be prepared for a lot of the unfamiliar and unusual.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for the world to be a plate of jumbo prawns. I'll have to pass on those oysters. ;)

If you do a Google image search for Thailand temples or ancient cities, you will see that Thailand has and had a very rich culture. Take in a sample of the local food, obviously a totally different palate, but definitely part of the experience, even if you don't like it. The markets are something to behold. What passes for food will shock you, just don't accidently touch any of the sketchy wiring, it's an electrician's nightmare and clearly not safe, but again, part of the experience. If you have blonde hair, people will boldly walk up and try to touch it. You can transport a family of 4 and 500lbs of cargo on a single Moped scooter. Traffic signs are only a suggestion and are completely ignored, and no, they do not stop for pedestrians. Water buffalo and elephants are farming equipment. If you are perceived as a "rich, white, American or European male" you will be accosted by young women wanting to be your "Thai wife".

My brother-in-law worked for an engineering firm out of Texas and was there in Thailand for about 6 months helping to build a chemical plant just outside of Bangkok. The pictures and videos he took, the stories he told, OMG!

It may be a bit too niche, but Bangkok is considered the world gem capital. There is a wholesale gem market in the JTC building in Silom.

You know that people sell their own toddlers to human trafficking rings in Thailand. I would not want to visit. Especially as a woman. And then you have to remember that whole region of countries, no matter how touristy, are still politically unstable after decades of colonialization, civil war, and terrorism.

I agree they stupid in that you return to slave driver, believing in mercy but getting none. Maybe dodging years under Spanish rule. Not so long ago you could end up sold on ship as French Huguenot wife at Dutch colony......having shortage of wives there it was common to trade coloureds or Malaysians, without much choice. Before Dutch East Indies it was common to rape slaves, slave master even owned your children. Sad.

Never mind beheading child soldiers, if you parent stupid enough to have children a la cross border French then they were molested (undocumented fact about French fetishist) and little was done since powerful monarch. After queen Margot I think some Royals chose not to mix dynasty for biblical culture.
wait more....many families nowadays don't consider it blood ties but no, you can't sleep with your step-sister or rather good parents don't let you sleep out in drug culture.

A very very good book to read: fiela Se kind (I think it translated to English)
Was given to me by a Hungarian family friend,
Behind barbie Charlie Theron is much pain, but continuous denial over what original Dutch settlers looked like and severe shortages of wives (records show similar case in Mexico but arrival of wives was once killed enough Indians? Colonised)
Much civil war is raised over Marie Antoinette supporting Habsburg and agreement with Dutch order? Whipping slaves? Or decisions not to colonise by Hungarians.
Do you like the movie 'the piano' it's a French based film set in Australia?

You know Yeshuas daughter I still read all the old classic children's tales: water for elephants and black beauty.
Many such stories were sad,

Twins, one has asd the other not. They hate one another, I hear it all time. They fight, mock one another and make me dearly unhappy.
But meltdowns improved, less fights. He never really had meltdown with me, it's siblings.
I have asd, father not.

I just want to hear from others but years gone by of taking family strain. Is anyone else feeling diversity is more conflict than a benefit.

Reading many mom's diagnosed autism when children don't reach developmental milestones. Life can be less than perfect. One lady has 4 kids, all on spectrum how on earth do you cope because I love my kids, I've sacrificed my life to be there but at times it gets me down (and no I can't just go shopping or travel world....Mom is stuck with grime up to elbows)
I always wanted a daughter, you are so blessed. What I say is relating to those with more kids, bills in today's cost living, hours to sit at clinic and breaking up fights n coping meltdowns.
Really needing solutions and support for real life battles

Well there are fancy Asian girl hotels in USA so you don't need to travel so far, just need to worry about moral of local importers and customs?
A while back I looked into these and it makes America look bad until you find out these hotel models were common on Spanish colonies in that time, not only that but these sort of businesses are usually affiliated with drug trafficking and madam brotherly owners in Mexico with cartell connections.

So if anyone is concerned about their daughters be weary of Mexico and drugs and cartells. And I bet you get to bottom you will find despite lack of media, underground they had involvement in this.
Now I am not attacking rights of gay people, and understandably French legalise LGBT even in Muslim land? What?
But as young gay person protect yourself from date rape drugs, do not go to gay clubs alone, no body wants to wake up and not remember and it could all be on video, by snoozy unemployed, dishonest types.

New Threads

Top Bottom