• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A tale of two socks

Do my socks freak you out?

• Total voters
Cover your feet however you choose. This is your right :)

(I have mostly black socks. Can always find a matching pair, even if the tumble dryer eats one)
I do like brightly coloured socks.
I would go barefoot before attempting to wear mismatched socks.

who knew there was so much to say about a seemingly innocuous clothing item?

Personally, because I hate doing laundry and deciding what to wear, so all my socks are exactly the same. 2 Dozen pair, purchased at the same time, at the same store, the same color, material, etc. Then I can just stuff them in a drawer and pull out 2 as I need them.

If there is one missing, I don't know or care. If the two aren't the original pairing, who can tell? If one gets a hole, I just throw out the one, eventually another one will get a hole and then I'll have an even numbers amount again.

Sportster approves of the socks. My socks are designed for comfort since I'm on my feet all day, but given a choice I would have socks to compliment my sixteen different pairs of suspenders.
Wow, thought I was the only one that had that many suspenders for work!

who knew there was so much to say about a seemingly innocuous clothing item?

Personally, because I hate doing laundry and deciding what to wear, so all my socks are exactly the same. 2 Dozen pair, purchased at the same time, at the same store, the same color, material, etc. Then I can just stuff them in a drawer and pull out 2 as I need them.

If there is one missing, I don't know or care. If the two aren't the original pairing, who can tell? If one gets a hole, I just throw out the one, eventually another one will get a hole and then I'll have an even numbers amount again.
Pretty much what I do. I only buy white work socks, for the same reasons.

i dont know how someone has the energy to care that much , i spend my life trying to read possible aggression or sarcasm i not going to waste it on something so petty

upload_2017-9-29_8-56-2.jpeg
upload_2017-9-29_8-56-57.jpeg

Men's Socks

The problem for me is the pattern. It would be fine if they were different colours but the same pattern. Looking at those together makes me feel queesy in my tummy!!

Long live mismatched socks!

The only thing I care about for my socks is that they feel equal.....Each foot must have a similar "covered by sock" feeling in terms of the thickness/worn-ness, shape/snugness, and crunchiness/softness of the sock....otherwise I will be uncomfortable.

Usually my socks are matched because the ones that look different also feel different, but not always -- mostly because I have socks that are the same type and roughly the same age but in different colors.

I will wear socks visually mismatched but feeling similar before I will wear them visually similar but feeling mismatched.

Fun fact about me: I have bought the same brand and colour of socks for the last 15 years or so.

Fun fact about someone else: well, there's this Ph. D. in Washington state named Richard Garfield. He never wears matching socks.

What's my point? Oh, just that he invented Magic: the Gathering.

I like the socks, but... the odd mismatched pair makes me unsettled.

Darn, and after 65 years I did not know that socks have to match! You have enlightened me - or the opposite perhaps, depending on your perspective. I really like your socks - I would wear them. Symmetry is not an issue here for me because symmetry lies in an overall perspective which details only add to.

In fact, I wear what others would regard as odd shoes, but they are fine to me. My brain simply does not compute that they are odd and so they are just fine to me. This once again emphasizes the degree to which society expects conformity - even in socks, for goodness sakes! I have always hated conformity because it is stifling and kills creativity and innovation as well as joy.

Esse quam videri.

The only thing I care about for my socks is that they feel equal.....Each foot must have a similar "covered by sock" feeling in terms of the thickness/worn-ness, shape/snugness, and crunchiness/softness of the sock....otherwise I will be uncomfortable.

Usually my socks are matched because the ones that look different also feel different, but not always -- mostly because I have socks that are the same type and roughly the same age but in different colors.

I will wear socks visually mismatched but feeling similar before I will wear them visually similar but feeling mismatched.

In fact, I wear what others would regard as odd shoes, but they are fine to me. My brain simply does not compute that they are odd and so they are just fine to me. This once again emphasizes the degree to which society expects conformity - even in socks, for goodness sakes! I have always hated conformity because it is stifling and kills creativity and innovation as well as joy.

It seems that symmetry is in the eye of the beholder :)

Nice!!! Perhaps we need to start a club here for suspender wearers.:D By chance do you get yours from The Suspender Store online? They have about every type one could imagine. I started wearing them eons ago to prevent "plumbers crack," but since then they've become a trademark. I'm the only tech on campus that wears them, so people know who I am when they're told, "Talk to the guy with the suspenders."
I got most on Ebay, the Felix the Cat, the German beer mugs, and the Christmas suspenders. The American flag and tape measure one's and the other ones I got somewhere on the internet and Amazon. I will check out the Suspenders Store, thanks for the tip.

They don't bother me, but I couldn't do that myself. I only wear plain black socks. Knowing that I was wearing odd socks with extremely different patterns would freak me out.

Wearing mismatched socks is one thing, wearing socks with holes in them is quite another. Does anyone besides me have a mother who would insist on you wearing matching socks ... even as an adult? o_O

Ĺike someone said they are similar enough that they look fine. Maybe you live in a uptight place where people can't tolerate anything that smacks of individualism. That was the start of free love, the hippies with long flowing hair, jeans, barefoot, not conforming and wearing whatever they wanted- so go in peace and wear those socks. That battle has already been won.

Just thinking... About the different we may or may not individualize our appearance

I do wear plain jane socks, basically black or grey, and I don't use suspenders, but...

Where I do try to personalize myself is my hat collection, I have at least ten different brimmed hats that I cycle through, never leave the house without wearing one... I have everything from fedora style to cowboy hats... I wear them because I like wearing them, and just for the record I refuse to wear a ball cap

I'm not sure if me wearing brimmed hats all the time goes against societal norms, it does make me more visible in public, mind you where I live a cowboy hat isn't an unusual sight year round

New Threads

Top Bottom