• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A tale of two socks

Do my socks freak you out?

• Total voters

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
image.jpg
Here's the socks I am wearing today. I once had two of the socks on the left, and two of the socks on the right. The usual laundry woes happened, but no worries. I wear what is left as you see here.

I usually wear long pants and sneakers and so only glimpses of them are seen, and no one notices. Even if I were to wear them on my face, it would take a while for the typical person to notice, they are so similar. But when some people do notice, they freak out.

Why, why why? My "aquarium socks" are so subtle no one can tell without looking three times, yet when it does come to their attention, some of them get so incredibly upset. Ridiculously so. And get this: the only way to soothe them is to tell them that I bought them that way. That they are aquarium socks.

Then they subside and mutter things like "I wouldn't wear them."

I do not understand this at all!

Totally agree. I think to wear different socks, albeit similar in colors, should become a new fashion trend. Those are very pretty socks which do go together beautifully. My son, who is also an Aspie, use to wear one black sock and one white sock. Me, half the time in the summer I leave the house with two different flip-flops without realizing it for they are so similar and I am not always zoned in when it comes to dressing. Also once went to work in my slippers for I forgot to put on my work shoes. Why do people sweat the small stuff? Also expressing one's individuality, I guess, bothers a lot of people who run with the herd :cow:

Last edited:
The only problem is

It reminds me of feet.

Spend enough time being reminded of feet.

I enjoy my time not thinking about them.

@WereBear

The base color of both socks is the same.
The colors of the plants and fish are similar.
The themes of the 2 socks are complementary.

I don't have a problem with assembling these orphans
as a pair.

My mother wouldn't let me wear nylons of different
colors to school. I had burgundy, dark green, and
navy blue. It wasn't a question of any of them
being flawed or missing.

I just wanted to wear a blue one and a green one,
for instance. Nope. Intolerable and impermissible for some
reason.

After posting this I wondered if "nylons" was a midwestern term. Short for "nylon stockings"/not socks.

I see these as a story of empowerment. These socks say to me:

"Break free of that 'In-The-Box' thinking!"
Because I see one sock as the beautiful reef...
(If you can have a CORAL reef, why can't you gave a FLORAL reef?)
and the other sock is where the fish broke free, and did their own thing! :sunglasses: :tropicalfish::octopus::dolphin::whale::fish::spoutingwhale::ocean:

I like them personally :) They're fun. I don't really pay attention to what I'm putting on, but I like to have socks with pictures on, like owl socks! Plain socks make me feel like my feet are disappearing somehow.

@WereBear

The base color of both socks is the same.
The colors of the plants and fish are similar.
The themes of the 2 socks are complementary.

I don't have a problem with assembling these orphans
as a pair.

My mother wouldn't let me wear nylons of different
colors to school. I had burgundy, dark green, and
navy blue. It wasn't a question of any of them
being flawed or missing.

I just wanted to wear a blue one and a green one,
for instance. Nope. Intolerable and impermissible for some
reason.
Same logic as tree, here. But pairing radically different socks would be another thing, because of my love for symmetry.

Also, @tree, regarding the nylon socks: I went through a phase with some burgundy, navy and light blue ones myself. My mother hated those, I think of all the things I've done, somehow, this is what caused her the most embarrassment. Seems that they are very controversial ;)

I like your socks like that, looks nice. I have some sets I always wear matched and a pile I rarely wear matched. They are all similar in style and size but I don't mind wearing a navy blue polka dot one with a brown one. Seems silly to take the time matching up all my socks.

They are just socks, what difference does it make? I usually just grab a couple of socks out of the pile of clean socks. If they do not match, it is not a big deal. If someone notices and points them out, I just tell them that I have another pair just like them at home.

I hate mismatched socks. My sister will wear two that don't match in any way, shape or form. Like on the weekend, she wore one which was white with black stars and the other was black with multicoloured hearts on. She was also wearing like slip on shoes so I could fully see them at all times.

If I ended up missing one from a pair (it's never happened so far) then I would chuck the remaining one.

I hate mismatched socks. My sister will wear two that don't match in any way, shape or form. Like on the weekend, she wore one which was white with black stars and the other was black with multicoloured hearts on. She was also wearing like slip on shoes so I could fully see them at all times.

If I ended up missing one from a pair (it's never happened so far) then I would chuck the remaining one.

Eh, unfortunately sometimes it's not your choice to make. If your right leg wants a dark coloured sock and your left a bright one - what can you do but bend under the pressure? :(

A few days back I reunited 41 orphaned socks with their other halves - I don't know what happens to them between the laundry basket, washing machine and tumble dryer:)

For some reason, I've been stuck thinking about the socks, when I'm supposed to be working on a project I hope to finish tomorrow.
It's finally occurred to me why I never had this mismatching issue: I have many pairs of the exact same type of socks. They're like a family of socktuplets or something.
Also, because I hate fishing for socks (no pun pertaining to WereBear's socks intended), I put all of mine in a garment bag before tossing them in the washing machine. There, no socks lost, ever, and lots of time saved.

Flowers and fish, you actually could find plants in an aquarium so honestly it doesn't seem that off. Speaking of socks, I don't wear any, too uncomfortable.

I wear my socks inside out, they are slicker like that because the towel like material on the inside bottom bothers me me when it rubs on the bottom of my feet.

I don't get it either, there is nothing wrong with your socks, and I actually like them quite a bit. Even if they don't match perfectly, they're close enough that it should not be a big deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was considered "cool" to wear crazy socks. Or is that not a thing anymore?

Either way, I wear crazy, sometimes mismatched socks all the time, and have only received positive comments. In fact, I wore some today. People get caught up on the weirdest things...

I'm an artist... I hang out with artists... I don't wear socks like that but know people who do, they are quite possibly artists if they do... Wouldn't surprise me at all... One musician friend of mine loves colourful socks, even mismatched socks I think, heck they are part of her merchandise table at concerts...

I dress a little different at times, I've said it before, I don't care what other people say or think, just wear what you love to wear, that's what I do... :p

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom