• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

30-something Aspie writer from Australia saying ‘Hi!’

... Wow, this might have to be the warmest welcome I’ve ever had. Thank you all. Means a lot!...Aw, thanks so much! I already feel like I belong here, like we’re all tuned into the same frequency, and it feels a little uncanny to be honest. But in a very, very good way.

Yes, we are actually very proud of our uncannies.

image-w1280.jpg

...and will undoubtedly rule the universe one day. Once we figure out how to do it from home of course.

;)

I’d love to chat more with you about the writing process and how you think autism might affect it for you, in both positive and negative ways. Maybe we should start a thread? ... Maybe there is one already?
I think that's a wonderful idea. I did a quick search and couldn't find any recent threads about it. I tried to think of what I could write to start one and drew a blank, but if you think of something, I'll definitely comment on it.

The next thing to tackle is my anxiety at work, and I will be having future therapy sessions with the same psychologist to go through some coping strategies for that.

One step at a time, as they say!

Anxiety is a bloody killer. I would love for my psychologist to be with me 24/7 to help me navigate the world. She told me that isn't possible so, I visit her regularly.

I write as well btw. I'm not a professional - just a person who woke up one day and decided to write a novel (I feel like a lot of people do that). Half way through though, and trudging along...

Welcome from another Aussie :)

I write as well btw. I'm not a professional - just a person who woke up one day and decided to write a novel (I feel like a lot of people do that). Half way through though, and trudging along...

Welcome from another Aussie :)

Hah, I’m not so sure they do. I mean, I think a lot of people think that, but I’m not so sure most of them get to the actual writing stage, or so everyone seems to tell me. I have four mostly-finished but largely unedited ‘practice’ novels; that is, they’ll probably never be published, but they sure as heck helped me become a better writer.

What kind of novel are you writing?

Hah, I’m not so sure they do. I mean, I think a lot of people think that, but I’m not so sure most of them get to the actual writing stage, or so everyone seems to tell me. I have four mostly-finished but largely unedited ‘practice’ novels; that is, they’ll probably never be published, but they sure as heck helped me become a better writer.

What kind of novel are you writing?

Learning to write is an ongoing process isn't it. I mucked about writing about my life prior to turning to fiction but I'm still learning as I go.

I am not that good at understanding genre but I feel like I'm writing a story for women that is a horror story (supernatural) but maybe fantasy genre too. Urban fantasy, perhaps. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

I get a good sense of achievement from pursuing it though I have my down times too. I've been told several times that my main character isn't that likable. Ouch. I'm pushing on so that I can try and get a big picture view of it when I'm closer to the finish.

Learning to write is an ongoing process isn't it. I mucked about writing about my life prior to turning to fiction but I'm still learning as I go.

I am not that good at understanding genre but I feel like I'm writing a story for women that is a horror story (supernatural) but maybe fantasy genre too. Urban fantasy, perhaps. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

I get a good sense of achievement from pursuing it though I have my down times too. I've been told several times that my main character isn't that likable. Ouch. I'm pushing on so that I can try and get a big picture view of it when I'm closer to the finish.

Your main character doesn’t have to be likeable, just compelling and relatable in certain ways, and that includes through their flaws. It’s definitely harder to write a character like that though, and not something I’ve really tried, to be honest. Sounds like a fun challenge.

I don’t know if you’ve ever read/listened to the writers’ advice from Brandon Sanderson, but he talks about character traits being a bunch of sliding scales, and you’ve got to play around with the sliders to find the right balance in order for the reader to find the character compelling. So if your character isn’t particular likeable, you could make them quite competent in a skill to make up for it, etc.

@RMX07 I've googled Sanderson, thanks for the tip.

You have touched on something really, really interesting - and something that bothers me a bit too:

"If your character isn’t particular likeable, you could make them quite competent in a skill to make up for it".

I have thought for a long time that it's okay to be different, or have problems, so long as you're good at something. If you are exceptional, have a skill, a talent, or are in some other way special - you're golden. Your problems will be overlooked or at least you will be accepted on some level. But if you don't have that, then...

But, yes, it could be a tool to exploit for my character. :)

I do wonder how my own situation affects my character too. When people say 'wouldn't she show more emotion when such and such happens?' And I'm thinking, I don't believe so. But that's me.

@RMX07I do wonder how my own situation affects my character too. When people say 'wouldn't she show more emotion when such and such happens?' And I'm thinking, I don't believe so. But that's me.

I think it’s important for writers to challenge societal norms, so I say write your main character the way you think she should be written. Maybe she turns out to be a Aspie, too. Or maybe she doesn’t. Either way, it doesn’t necessarily have to be explicit.

I’ve struggled with writing emotions because my natural instinct is to write in a similar way to how I would react, and anything more than that seems contrived and over-the-top. I think that’s why I’m drawn to mostly stoic characters because I can relate to them so much more. I can also say I’m drawn to other people’s books with stoic or less emotional main characters. So there’s definitely a target market there. ;)

I think we need to start a new thread for the writers here. @rubicks52 is another one.

I like the idea of a writers thread - very much. I think it would be ideal if it was a members only one.

@RMX07 thanks for your input. I have felt that there must be a market and wondered if those people who've read my work (I'm involved in a group) may be coming from a very NT perspective. But again, I can't say anything concrete yet so I'll wait and see how it all pans out.

New Threads

Top Bottom