• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your Shooter Game Play Style?

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
What is your play style in shooter games? Whenever I play a shooter game that has some sort of "capturing" or any other objective that isn't just "blast the enemy into bits," I usually tend to play that objective very aggressively. I usually just equip either an SMG, an LMG, and Assualt Rifle, or any other fast firing gun such as a pistol or other semi-auto gun and then I immediately go capture the objective and defend it, blasting anybody who isn't on my team out of existence. Very effective when combined with tactical frag or smoke grenade placement. One time, there was a conquest-type gamemode, and I threw down a smoke grenade right under me while capturing the objective, which was surrounded by enemies. The opponents didn't want to enter the smoke in fear that they'll be immediately killed.

I call my style "CQB maining," since I'm pretty good up close.

When playing maps that are more biased towards snipers, I usually equip a marksmen's rifle or a semi-auto sniper. Or maybe a faster-firing bolt action sniper. If the game has a .50 Cal sniper such as the Barret M107, then I would use that as soon as I got my hands on it.

So, what is your play style when it comes to shooter games?

Edit: BTW, this is the AA-12, a fully automatic, mag-fed shotgun:
AA12-Right-1.jpg

When it is in a video game, people tend to stick the 20-round drum mag in it, because it makes the gun really good for clearing out clusters of enemies. I personally use this gun a lot in a Roblox FPS game called Phantom Forces.

I remember first seeing the AA12 on the first Killing Floor game. I really enjoy that game as online FPS goes. Seeing as it's co-operative and not PVP. The class types, exp to level them and the British voice overs made for a really interesting game. Plus there was literally hundreds of player made maps. Whilst I played the first game to death, I wasn't as keen on Killing Floor 2 - I guess it being more of the same sort of killed the magic for me.

I'm not amazing at PVP online games. I tend to have my anxiety and stress get the better of me and panic ensues. I don't keep my calm/cool and then I start panic firing, or running unnecessarily into danger or simply not paying attention enough. I'm good in vehicles, especially helicopters and I'm good at tailing enemies in planes whilst dogfighting, but I'm terrible at evading enemies in dogfights. Even though I can fly fast, low and deliberately cause lots of near misses between buildings etc - I always seem to get destroyed as soon as another jet starts chasing me.

Whereas on offline or Co-Op (vs NPC's) FPS games, my aim is a lot better. I feel calm because I know I'm not against another person. Also computers don't have the erratic habits that real people do in games. I'm good with grenade throws and other arc style weapons such as long shot RPG or grenade launcher hits. As well as leading shots for hitting vehicles. I tend to prefer supporting roles if I'm going to play online FPS games - but the amount of stress they seem to create means I don't really play them to any degree where I'd get amazing at them. Plus, most popular online shooters everyone wants to be a one man army. Nobody listens if you type or voice chat recommendations for objectives or advice in game.

The only online FPS game I played hundreds of hours of was Red Orchestra 2. It was nice as about 50% of each team was equipped only with bolt action rifles. 1 shot tended to kill you and asides from recon once every 5-10 mins - you didn't know where the enemy was on the map unless someone spotted them, and even then it was just a fixed mark on the map and as soon as them moved, that was that. The main thing about RO2 was that people did listen to orders and advice - because without team play and working together, you'd just get slaughtered. I think I stuck with that game for 2 reasons, the setting and the realism. I had tried Arma a few times, but it felt clunky.

Ed

Last edited:
When it comes to gaming, my main talent is just being stupidly fast. It's why I'm so good at fighting games: you cant beat me if you cant hit me.... and you're not going to hit me. You may as well be moving in slow motion. That's how it goes. It doesnt matter how good you are... you wont win because your attacks wont connect. I've proven this a million times over against opponents of all levels.

It's led to me having a total berserker style when it comes to, well, everything. "Berserker" is the right word, too, as the more agitated I get, the faster and more aggressive I will be. But I do this ALL THE TIME. Even in games where it doesnt really make a whole lot of sense. The style is sort of burned-in now, I cant really turn it off. So.... makes shooters a bit of a problem.

Combine this with the fact that I've never found shooting to be very exciting (as I'd rather just bash the enemy over the head with a brick), AND that I cant aim worth crap, and there ya go, I just rush at things and go nuts. Punch, punch, stab, stab.... Does it work in a modern shooter? Not really. Am I going to do it anyway? What kind of question is that? OF COURSE I'm going to do it anyway.

If given explosives in an FPS, I will also throw them around at random. Why? Well, what the heck else are they for? I have no idea, so I'm just going to throw them at things. A berserker isnt "tactical". I dodge things and then hit stuff with other stuff, why did you even give me bombs to begin with?

It's best not to be near me if you're on my team. Well, it's better not to have me on a team to begin with.

Needless to say, there's not much reason for me to play these online all that much. I wouldnt exactly be welcomed by most players, and that's putting it mildly.

In single player shooter games I’m usually a sniper. Multi player, not so much. I’m usually very much a berserker (thanks, @Misery ;) ) taking out the competition at close range. I have a pretty quick reaction time so when I round a corner and bump into someone they’re dead before they can make a move on me.

When it comes to gaming, my main talent is just being stupidly fast. It's why I'm so good at fighting games: you cant beat me if you cant hit me.... and you're not going to hit me. You may as well be moving in slow motion. That's how it goes. It doesnt matter how good you are... you wont win because your attacks wont connect. I've proven this a million times over against opponents of all levels.

It's led to me having a total berserker style when it comes to, well, everything. "Berserker" is the right word, too, as the more agitated I get, the faster and more aggressive I will be. But I do this ALL THE TIME. Even in games where it doesnt really make a whole lot of sense. The style is sort of burned-in now, I cant really turn it off. So.... makes shooters a bit of a problem.

Combine this with the fact that I've never found shooting to be very exciting (as I'd rather just bash the enemy over the head with a brick), AND that I cant aim worth crap, and there ya go, I just rush at things and go nuts. Punch, punch, stab, stab.... Does it work in a modern shooter? Not really. Am I going to do it anyway? What kind of question is that? OF COURSE I'm going to do it anyway.

If given explosives in an FPS, I will also throw them around at random. Why? Well, what the heck else are they for? I have no idea, so I'm just going to throw them at things. A berserker isnt "tactical". I dodge things and then hit stuff with other stuff, why did you even give me bombs to begin with?

It's best not to be near me if you're on my team. Well, it's better not to have me on a team to begin with.

Needless to say, there's not much reason for me to play these online all that much. I wouldnt exactly be welcomed by most players, and that's putting it mildly.
Yeah, I really only get tactical with grenade throws and listening for enemies in first person shooter games. If the game allows for bullets to penetrate through walls, and I know that there is an enemy on the other side, I will spray bullets through said wall. Other than that, I just play objective and do it really aggressively. If I manage to catch a guy using a sniper off guard in a way that they won't be able to switch to their secondary or knife in time, then they are screwed and might as well accept their fate.

In single player shooter games I’m usually a sniper. Multi player, not so much. I’m usually very much a berserker (thanks, @Misery ;) ) taking out the competition at close range. I have a pretty quick reaction time so when I round a corner and bump into someone they’re dead before they can make a move on me.
I really only snipe in multiplayer if I have to, but I usually don't use the bolt actions. I usually use designated marksmen rifles (basically rifles designed to be accurate at long ranges, but not as capable as snipers, and their users can respond quickly to close-quarters threats if needed), or semi-automatic sniper rifles, such as a .50 cal Barret M107A1 or a Dragunov sniper rifle.

I really only snipe in multiplayer if I have to, but I usually don't use the bolt actions. I usually use designated marksmen rifles (basically rifles designed to be accurate at long ranges, but not as capable as snipers, and their users can respond quickly to close-quarters threats if needed), or semi-automatic sniper rifles, such as a .50 cal Barret M107A1 or a Dragunov sniper rifle.
I really can’t compare gun types, since I haven’t sniped in ages. Although to be fair I haven’t played multiplayer shooters for some time either. I like playing with friends because the online community can be very toxic.

I also like capture the flag and other game modes where the shooting is peripheral. That being said, I can get quite upset when everyone else seems to be more interesting in fighting, I'm almost home with the flag and I get shot just before scoring because no one's covering my back.

I don't usually play sniper, the exception being if I get a hilly map, especially if there's little cover.

Most FPS games are not very good at fulfilling my fantasies of behaving like Schwarzenegger in Commando and not getting killed off in the process.

New Threads

Top Bottom