• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your funny asd behaviours.

So ants are a thing here?

With about half of all living matter being ants it is somewhat arguable who actual dominates the earth.

But there's lots of reasons to be fascinated by ants.

Somehow, they have developed numerous advanced social behaviors that we only mimiced much later. And with 10,000 to 20,000 species the variety is intense. So much of what we do, they did first. Weaving, farming, making war, making slaves, tending the injured, working as teams, building vast colonies and fortresses, retiring elderly ants to old age homes, the list is endless. And they do it with brains the size of the tiniest speck, primarily with chemical communication.

By coincidence it has been noted that the brain mass of all the ants together in an average colony roughly equals that of a human.

top-10-horror-movie-animals-09.gif

By coincidence it has been noted that the brain mass of all the ants together in an average colony roughly equals that of a human.
Are you implying that size does not matter? :p

Bees fascinate me more though. They're so advanced, yet beaten by glass.

So ants are a thing here? I remember during my test I was asked about playing with worms. I had a weird fascination with garden snails. I would go out and find where alle the snails were after the rain and run back home to fetch salt to disolve them. It wasn't funny, but I never felt bad about them either. It just had to be done somehow.

My hobby was to open up all electric equipment specifically clocks to see what made them work. I would open up and fix and think of how to modify things.

When I was a small child, I would take just about anything apart just to see how it works. Unfortunately, according to my wife, I still do this.

"Are you implying that size does not matter? :p

Bees fascinate me more though. They're so advanced, yet beaten by glass."

No, it does indeed matter... sometimes. It all depends on context. :D

Its like I say to people who say that the tiny Chihuahua is not a real dog. Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

I saw a video recently of a guy who tests people's pets to see if they would defend them against a intruder . The tester acts like an intruder entering the house and attacking (simulated striking) the owner. A Lab, a Pit mix and a small Mutt and Chihuahua pair were tested. The Lab ran out the door, the Pit mix ran and hid in the bedroom and the two little ones attacked the attacker and got between him and their owner.

Bees are up there to be sure as far as being socially advanced. This is relatively new discovery. Bees that chew nest tunnels in sandstone. From southwest USA, species - Anthophera pueblo.

image_4196e-Anthophora-pueblo.jpg

One of my weirder behaviors is that I like to see things line up. I’ll be sitting in a meeting and I’ll see a wire suspending a projector from the ceiling - and I’ll want to move my head three inches to the right so that the wire lines up with the door frame or the edges of the ceiling tiles.

Basically, any time there are two lines or edges, I like to see them line up. Same with telephone poles.

It’s the dumbest thing and I’m so self-conscious when I do it - I don’t want to be seen overtly leaning one direction and closing one eye, because, hey, that’s just weird - but internally, it is so very satisfying when things line up.

One of my weirder behaviors is that I like to see things line up. I’ll be sitting in a meeting and I’ll see a wire suspending a projector from the ceiling - and I’ll want to move my head three inches to the right so that the wire lines up with the door frame or the edges of the ceiling tiles.

Basically, any time there are two lines or edges, I like to see them line up. Same with telephone poles.

It’s the dumbest thing and I’m so self-conscious when I do it - I don’t want to be seen overtly leaning one direction and closing one eye, because, hey, that’s just weird - but internally, it is so very satisfying when things line up.

I have done this forever. I also like alternating looking at things with one eye alone and then the other. It shifts the physical world slightly (actually the perspective) and makes me feel like I am warping space. :D

Things lining up or fitting in is indeed very satisfying to watch.

Its like I say to people who say that the
I saw a video recently of a guy who tests people's pets to see if they would defend them against a intruder . The tester acts like an intruder entering the house and attacking (simulated striking) the owner. A Lab, a Pit mix and a small Mutt and Chihuahua pair were tested. The Lab ran out the door, the Pit mix ran and hid in the bedroom and the two little ones attacked the attacker and got between him and their owner.

Strength in numbers? (Pack)

To make this test more realistic, the dog owner has to experience real fear (more often than not)

Usually most domestic dogs will protect those they’re bonded with if a reaction is required.

Example,
My old Dobermann never barked at passers by through the window, never barked should someone knock at the door, watched; without reaction, contractors and any number of strangers enter or work on the outside of my home.

He didn’t make a sound, he understood if there were any warnings or any ‘gobbing-off’ to be done, myself or husband would do it.

Until,
My confidence was shot. I wouldn’t leave the house and was pretty much afraid of everything.

Without training he stepped up and became very vocal.
Which in my mind, was a problem.

40kg of Black and Tan behaving in a (natural) but socially unacceptable way.
My fear changed his behaviour.
(He’s passed now)

We joke that my current adolescent Lurcher would be found in the next county, still running should we ever be threatened,
However, underneath all of the ‘wussy’ behaviour I’m certain he’d know exactly what to do (it’s innate) if one of us humans were experiencing real fear, if attacked.

Strength in numbers? (Pack)

To make this test more realistic, the dog owner has to experience real fear (more often than not)

Usually most domestic dogs will protect those they’re bonded with if a reaction is required.

Example,
My old Dobermann never barked at passers by through the window, never barked should someone knock at the door, watched; without reaction, contractors and any number of strangers enter or work on the outside of my home.

He didn’t make a sound, he understood if there were any warnings or any ‘gobbing-off’ to be done, myself or husband would do it.

Until,
My confidence was shot. I wouldn’t leave the house and was pretty much afraid of everything.

Without training he stepped up and became very vocal.
Which in my mind, was a problem.

40kg of Black and Tan behaving in a (natural) but socially unacceptable way.
My fear changed his behaviour.
(He’s passed now)

We joke that my current adolescent Lurcher would be found in the next county, still running should we ever be threatened,
However, underneath all of the ‘wussy’ behaviour I’m certain he’d know exactly what to do (it’s innate) if one of us humans were experiencing real fear, if attacked.

I thought about that too, the pack reinforcement. I have run into a wild pack, and even though they were again very small dogs, it was intimidating being attacked from all sides and I had to retreat. There was a pup in the pack having fun being fierce. But once I had retreated into the ocean the others drifted back to their sleeping spot (Yes, let sleeping dogs lie!!!). The pup suddenly realized it was alone and scampered off fast.

The lady in the test said in advance the small mutt would be on the attacker and she was. The Chihuahua seemed to just back up the mutt. The attacks were well simulated, with the attacker all in protective black garb standing over and simulating striking the owner. But I hear you about if it generated fear, which the dogs would sense.

That is interesting how your dog shifted his guard behavior to adjust to your emotional signals.

When doing a tedious task I often try to make it more interesting by making a story or imaginary event out of it. For example when mowing the lawn, the grass and weeds become an army of... evil grass and weeds I guess, and I must mow down their endless legions and restore the land to its peaceful bucolic state.

Btw I happened to notice at a glance 'Your funny asd behavior' can be read as 'Your funny assed behavior'.

Well it may also be related to the urge some people on the spectrum have to dismantle things to understand them somehting like that.

But it depends on the age you had when you were doing that, I mean , I was maybe 10 or 11 already when I blocked the entrance and felt bad about it minutes later ^^'.

I realy rarely flap my hands but more often when I get excited I feel the urge to jump and walk around a room ; sometimes I just ran around the room to "reconnect" also.
I do the same thing, but never in front of anyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Do you also like rooms to be cleared of furniture in the middle or of things that might get in your way when you walk/skip/jump around a room? I love empty spaces.

Yesterday My father told me that I could spend an entiere hour following ants'trails( is that a thing? But ants in line to be clear) , find an entrance of the nest and just looking at them endlessely.

And yeah I clearly remembered it when he told me that, I also remember that one day I blocked an entrance of a nest and I felt so bad about it that I re opened it couple of minutes after!

Wow yes!
You've taken me right back in my mind haha.
I remember I used to have this massive ants nest out the front of my childhood home and I could play with it for what must have been hours. I used to run back and forth of it and then watch the ants go into a frenzy. It was so cool to watch. And then sometimes I'd throw mud over it and watch the ants get confused about where their holes had gone. Very stimulating to the eye.

I used to watch ants too, and other crawling insects. I used to do all sorts of experiments as a kid - diverting the ants, wetting them, mixing various substances together that I could find round the house - all just to see what would happen. One kind of experiment that I now deeply regret was that I used to pull the wings off house flies or their legs to see what they would do - it didn't occur to me at the time that this might be cruel and wrong.

Wow I used to do that with flies as well, pulling the wings off. When I was a kid my mum taught me to tie cotton around the flies neck and they would fly in cycles endlessly, but honestly a lot of flies lost their heads in the process because I wasn't the gentlest kid. Now I think it was very cruel and turns out yes my mum is a bit of a sadist (quiver).

I do the same thing, but never in front of anyone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Do you also like rooms to be cleared of furniture in the middle or of things that might get in your way when you walk/skip/jump around a room? I love empty spaces.

I always lived in a messy room, when I was a kid I was not living alone in the room , so I never developped any cleaning/clearing routine. But its true that most of the time when I want to go back to doing serious things in my room I feel I have to clean/clear it.

But what you described is one of my father thing, having rooms cleared of things that might get in your way.
My mother told me that My father was litteraly living in an almost empty flat kek.

Wow I used to do that with flies as well, pulling the wings off. When I was a kid my mum taught me to tie cotton around the flies neck and they would fly in cycles endlessly, but honestly a lot of flies lost their heads in the process because I wasn't the gentlest kid. Now I think it was very cruel and turns out yes my mum is a bit of a sadist (quiver).
I never tried to do that. I think that I would have been way too clumsy. Now these seem like horrible things to do, but at the time I didn't realise it was cruel - it didn't occur to me that the fly might be able to feel pain.

Yesterday I killed a spider and felt so bad about it, but haha I dont know if it was disgust ( the spider was filled of egg I think , it splashed xD.) or I felt bad about killing a mother, I replayed the image in my head all the day xD.

Thats also a part of asd not knowing what we actually feel? xD

"
Bees are up there to be sure as far as being socially advanced. This is relatively new discovery. Bees that chew nest tunnels in sandstone. From southwest USA, species - Anthophera pueblo.

This is funny because we "discover" Things that our ancestor already knew by simple observations thousands years ago xD

I never tried to do that. I think that I would have been way too clumsy. Now these seem like horrible things to do, but at the time I didn't realise it was cruel - it didn't occur to me that the fly might be able to feel pain.

Same. Looking back now I just cringe, I could never be that cruel now I realise how horrible it was.

Does practising faces out of context count?

I may come into a room with a strange quizzical face on.

My wife will say ' What's wrong?

'Just practicing in case anything unusual happens'

Probably my lining up and arranging dolls and other things. I officially started doing this when I was a teenager. When I was a young adult I collected troll dolls and would line up and organize them. For example I had a bunch of troll dolls in one part of the room that all had different jobs, like a doctor, a nurse, a firefighter, and a police officer. I also included a mother troll with a baby because I believed that was a job, and the most important one of all.:grinning:

New Threads

Top Bottom