• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your comfort zone

Pats, whenever I read your posts, I get the urge to toss you in the truck for a road trip to our favorite camping spot. Talk about comfort zones! Nobody knows we're there. We don't see another person for days. You can do anything you want or nothing at all, just be. I spend a lot of time in my hammock with my puzzle books and a cooler of my favorite beverages and snacks. Of course, the best part of any outing is the ride home. No matter where I go, fun or no, homecoming is my happy place. Home is definitely the best. Sometimes I spotaneously burst into song and dance. My Hubby and the kitties don't mind if I do. Sara Snuggles sometimes meows in harmony.

Pats, whenever I read your posts, I get the urge to toss you in the truck for a road trip to our favorite camping spot. Talk about comfort zones! Nobody knows we're there. We don't see another person for days. You can do anything you want or nothing at all, just be. I spend a lot of time in my hammock with my puzzle books and a cooler of my favorite beverages and snacks. Of course, the best part of any outing is the ride home. No matter where I go, fun or no, homecoming is my happy place. Home is definitely the best. Sometimes I spotaneously burst into song and dance. My Hubby and the kitties don't mind if I do. Sara Snuggles sometimes meows in harmony.
I do love solitude in nature, but I may have given the wrong impression. I'm the mom who yells at their 43 year old son to get down from there and don't even think about fishing in northern Wyoming without a can of bear spray. lol I was sitting outside eating once with a friend and was swatting bugs away. She laughed and said she thought I was an outdoor person who likes the mountains and grizzly bears. I said, "No, I like them from inside the car." LOL But I do have a little bit in me - just a bit chicken. I loved all the camping and stuff with my son and his family this summer, and even had always wanted to just sleep in the car at a rest area. But when my kids were little and it was just me I was too chicken to do those things.
And I always liked puzzle books - years ago I actually used to make certain word puzzles for Dell. When they dropped from paying per puzzle to just a small amount for several, it was no longer worth it.
And I live on diet Dr Pepper. :) And I don't think I could ever burst into song and dance - although I did skip while in Wyoming this summer. lol

I will just leave this here
ksmva53opzcz.png

And one of my non-urban comfort places?

Living in Calgary it's not the mountains, but the prairies to the east, back roads, gravel roads, small towns... I like to escape east a few times a year, I love the open sky of the prairies... Within a three drive of Calgary are some extremely desolate places where hardly anyone lives

This is a photo from a recent trip in the south end of Alberta, almost at the American border on a very remote gravel road, my cell phone picked up an American signal! :D That bump on the horizon is a very special place called the Sweetgrass Hills, which are in Montana, but visible across much of southern Alberta... That's my friend walking in the field...

Sweetgrass Hills 01.jpg

@Voltaic Pictures always seem to say it so condensed and precise.
I aim for one thing to get done everyday and want to spend the rest of it in my semi-comfort zone.
So many mixed things on this thread apply to my zone.
Firstly, I don't really have one either, do to the fact I no longer own anything and rent two rooms and a bath in a house with someone who drives me crazy just as @Pats said.
There is no place in the house I can be where he may not just pop in and start yelling about something.

My bedroom is the closest thing to my comfort zone. I bought a good bed with memory foam topper,
soft sheets and fleece blanket. I have a television, a phone and stereo to play music or relaxation tapes on.
I painted it the colours I like and one wall has a huge window where I can lay in bed and look at trees and sky.
I keep my rock collections on display and a ceiling fan over the bed is soothing.
It's where I run to when I feel anxious or feel dissociated.
But, it also feels a bit like a cell because it isn't mine. I don't know how permenant it is.
The other room is for my computer, books and papers.
My bath is also decorated to my likes and colours.

I used to own a cargo van with table and bed. That was my home away from home comfort zone.
Since I get anxious driving, I could always pull over and rest.
I also love being out in the woods with nature.
But, the key word is HOME. Home isn't a place, it's a feeling. One I don't think I'll ever feel again having
to live with someone.
So sleep is a good zone too. :cool:

Thanks for the clarification.
Getting lost in a VR Wii game can be a good escape into an alternate reality OK.

I'm surprised to hear that for most, home is comfort zone.

I haven't been able to make more than one room comfortable, to me. A whole house is out of the question, I guess. At least I haven't been able to do that.
I am the same. Extreme sensory issues. Is it your sensory issues?

I am the same. Extreme sensory issues. Is it your sensory issues?
No. I tend to hyposensitivity and don't notice things, and tolerate things that would drive normal people nuts.

Furniture and interior design used to be a special interest, one I shared with my first wife. I haven't had a comfortable place since then. My wife now has little interest in decorating, yet she's pretty picky, so we haven't been able to make the choices needed. She also has a bit of a hoarding issue, which we are working ln clearing out.

You know what?? I just realized something - in reading about single rooms being a comfort zone. I've had a play area that is open to my living room. I just spent 2 days switching my bedroom and the play area because I'm more comfortable in this part of my apartment and don't like being off in a separate room. It'll work good for the grandkids, too. They liked playing in my bedroom and called it their clubhouse. So now I have my bedroom where I want it and they have their clubhouse. Now I don't have to sleep on the couch any more. :) I also didn't like the walk in closet and have moved most of what I need out here - still hidden away neatly, but don't have to go into the closet - more of a storage area now.

Usually one small room. I prefer to be outsides. I cannot stand houses. Sensory issues. But it's hard to be outside all day. Like one poster said, I can't find it now , but out on a trail, running and even gyms though it can cause a lot of pain. Driven 24/7. So I need to find outlets.

New Threads

Top Bottom