• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your comfort zone

Pats

V.I.P Member
It's nice being back in my comfort zone after 3 days. And it's nice to know I don't have anywhere I HAVE to go for the next 2 weeks. Yay!!!

So what is your comfort zone and what have you done to make it you?

I used to love driving and inside my car was my comfort zone away from home. Which I now realize why it was always so hard for me to leave my car when I was traveling. I could make myself stop, but could not make myself get out of the car. Now I still have the same problem not wanting to leave my car when I'm driving somewhere, but I don't like driving like I used to. And driving through places like Charlotte - my car is no longer a comfort zone either.

My apartment is my real comfort zone and I love that I can do whatever I want with it. I stopped and found some used top kitchen cabinets and put them up yesterday and today I'm going to paint them. Most the pictures on my walls are my own photographs that I've enlarged to poster size and framed. I've even got a couple fake windows with pictures I've taken from Monument Valley. (I'm preparing for senility so I'll walk by these windows and think that's where I am. :) ) I have many moose figurines, along with cactus, arrows and feathers. Funny I've always decorated with those things and now the cactus, arrows and feathers are IN so it's easy to find stuff. And I actually like that the moose don't go with cactus. :) My colors are the colors you would find in the southwest US, yet has some western theme mixed in. It all has a comfortable and familiar feel to me. I like what @Autistamatic said in his video and agree that the autism comes out when we're out of our comfort zone. So as important as our comfort zones are - what is yours?

It's nice being back in my comfort zone after 3 days. And it's nice to know I don't have anywhere I HAVE to go for the next 2 weeks. Yay!!!

So what is your comfort zone and what have you done to make it you?

I used to love driving and inside my car was my comfort zone away from home. Which I now realize why it was always so hard for me to leave my car when I was traveling. I could make myself stop, but could not make myself get out of the car. Now I still have the same problem not wanting to leave my car when I'm driving somewhere, but I don't like driving like I used to. And driving through places like Charlotte - my car is no longer a comfort zone either.

My apartment is my real comfort zone and I love that I can do whatever I want with it. I stopped and found some used top kitchen cabinets and put them up yesterday and today I'm going to paint them. Most the pictures on my walls are my own photographs that I've enlarged to poster size and framed. I've even got a couple fake windows with pictures I've taken from Monument Valley. (I'm preparing for senility so I'll walk by these windows and think that's where I am. :) ) I have many moose figurines, along with cactus, arrows and feathers. Funny I've always decorated with those things and now the cactus, arrows and feathers are IN so it's easy to find stuff. And I actually like that the moose don't go with cactus. :) My colors are the colors you would find in the southwest US, yet has some western theme mixed in. It all has a comfortable and familiar feel to me. I like what @Autistamatic said in his video and agree that the autism comes out when we're out of our comfort zone. So as important as our comfort zones are - what is yours?
Dont have one

I've made my house my comfort zone by bringing as much as I could back from my homes in Russia and Latvia. It also took years to get it to be in the order I want it in so that it makes sense. Certain things need to be organised by type and it took a very long time to be able to do that.

I made myself a 'nest' at my desk, with the back of the chair against the wall and all the things I need neatly around me in drawers and boxes. A semi-cave where I can just hide with no one able to look over my shoulder and question what I'm doing.

My dad brought back a whole bunch of stuff recently as everyone in Russia is now gone and there is just stuff... He brought back this carpet that hung on the wall for years, that I used to stare at for hours as I fell asleep... I can't even begin to describe how happy I was to see it again. It makes me smile every time I see it and will continue to do so for years. These things make my house my comfort zone as this country is still alien and chaotic.

My comfort zone is my house, and more specifically, my room. It's the place where I can do what I want, be myself and relax.

My comfort zone is on the trail, wether biking, running, hiking or skiing. Swimming in big water. Outside, in nature away from motors, gadgets and screens.

I really don't feel comfortable anywhere else.

Strange, since when I am doing these things, I'm usually exerting myself, I hurt somewere, it's cold out, its hot, could be raining. But mentally and emotionally I'm comfortable.

Definitely my house. When I was still living with my ex that was the basement where my work bench is. But now that she's gone I get most of the house to myself, even if I have to share it with the kids...

Comfort is something I'm very aware of. My home is definitely my sanctuary and if I get over stressed there are a few other things I use to bring me comfort. Certain movies, particular music, all old familiar stuff that calms me down with it's familiarity.

I'm surprised to hear that for most, home is comfort zone.

I haven't been able to make more than one room comfortable, to me. A whole house is out of the question, I guess. At least I haven't been able to do that.

It's only home for me because I'm extremely socially anxious, so going outside I may have to face people :tearsofjoy:
But really, forests are where I feel most at peace. ^.^

For me it's home because it's full of familiar things, my books, music, media collection, computers - all the things that occupy my free time and bring me solace. And of course my wife and my cat are here too :D

I'm with Autistamatic re: the cat! :D

I'm also with On the Inside in so much as i have only been able to make one room in our house a sort of 'retreat'. It's the room that seems to be the most peaceful, it lets most natural light in and overlooks fields of sheep. I'd rather spend hours laying on the bed than sat downstairs on the sofa in a sterile, laminate floor covered living room.

Laminate flooring is the devils work. :mad:

When I was a teenager, my room would have been my comfort zone and I didn't like being in the living room with the rest of the family.
One of the things that had me so messed up with my husband was that I didn't have a comfort zone - nowhere in the house was safe from him coming in and just starting yelling at me for no good reason. Like I'd be doing something in my office and he'd be in the living room watching tv and just come in and start yelling that I'm keeping him awake. I'd usually just say I think it's the tv keeping him awake.
Anyway, this if probably the first time I've really had a space all to myself and I can actually call my comfort zone.

I have a small apartment which is my comfort zone. I have my tv, my recliner, my kitchen dishes and cooking tools.
My bed is very comfortable with extra padding, soft well worn sheets and an old quilt. I have pillows that I use to make a tent over my head when I lay down so sound and light is filtered.
I have fans, air filters, plants and a salt lamp so that the air is clean and circulating and the salt lamp is just because it’s cool. My lamps are Tiffany style and give a nice warm light.
My vehicle is a plain cargo van that I fixed up to be another comfort zone. I put in a raised bed that fits over the wheel wells, with a nice foam mattress and an eyelet bed skirt that covers the storage bins under the bed. In the storage bins I have extra clothes, food, water and misc things I like and might need like baby wipes and toilet paper.
So when I’m out in my van dealing with the world and get tired and stressed I can park in the shade and rest in the back. I have iPad and phone chargers so I can just chill for a couple of hours and browse the internet or listen to an audio book.
The passenger seat is for my dog. She has a lambskin seat cover for comfort and helps keep her from sliding off when I hit the brakes too hard. She has a little water dish that she can reach for a drink even when she is belted in.
This sounds elaborate and I guess it is but it was the only way I was able to drive by myself after 9 years of being stuck at home and dependent upon a person that was not nice to me.
I feel like I could go on forever about comfort zones! Oh, I did already, sorry!

My comfort zone? I have several answers really...

A favourite independent coffee shop in one of our inner city neighbourhoods, it's often a hang out with a good friend on Sunday afternoon... I've had lots of interesting conversations there, and it attracts a wide, eclectic variety of people

Also, a pedestrian mall downtown, I've spent many hours wandering down there, camera in tow... And another favourite independent coffee shop along there, there is a large plaza nearby and a favourite spot to sit down with a coffee from that same favourite coffee shop

This isn't to say that my place isn't my comfort zone, I live in a basement suite in a house where my sister lives upstairs and owns the house, I enjoy it... But tend to get cabin fever if I'm there too much

I don't really have one, even when I am home alone its almost always like there's a pendulum swinging above my head. I guess the closest thing would be sleep.

New Threads

Top Bottom