• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Yet another newcomer

NecroCurator

Since this forum has a section for introductions, I thought this might be a polite place to start.

I am a 30 year old finnish/lappish librarian, or a mobile library driver to be more precise. I work and live in the Tampere urban area.

I have always struggled with school and depression, so lately my new psychiatrist brought up some new study that opens up my case once again. She seems to think I have some level of autism, so we have started the daunting process of diagnosis. Personally I am not certain whether the hunch is right, but partly because of that I became interested in this forum. I came here to ask some questions and read whether or not my psychiatrist has a point or not. I am hoping that this process would clear things for somewhat.

Superficially my life is fine, so previous psyhcs haven't considered autism to be really appropriate in my case. I have a job, no financial problems and I do have a girlfriend. So if I do happen to have autism, it is not of the more paralyzing sort, at least seemingly. Other than that, my psychiatrist might have a point, and she draw her conclusions from my social background (or rather the lack of such) and from the more difficult details of my "career". In this case career meaning a hodgepodge of assorted entry-level jobs, until about a year ago when I landed my job in the city library.

As a hobby I tend to read and write philosophy. I have assisted in the publishing of several books, and I am currently in the editing process of my first collection of essays. Oh yes, and I also use my spare time to study philosophy at the university. I don't really like academia so much. It's just that it's the only place where I can study philosophy at the appropriate level.

Anyway, this is the gist of it. Now I am here. I won't go into any more detail right now. Maybe something will come up in the other topics around here.

upload_2018-12-6_11-55-36.png

Superficially my life is fine, so previous psyhcs haven't considered autism to be really appropriate in my case.

Greetings NecroCurator. Welcome to the forum. You will find a great deal of helpful and friendly folks here. I am an high functional apsie. The popular "main stream" conception that those of us on the spectrum are somewhat "handicapped" is a misnomer. I would be considered "successful" in life when it comes to "status" (i.e. employment, income, education, etc.) but these things don't have any bearing on the fact that I have Asperger's Syndrome. Having stated this, you will more than likely find a lot of insight into whatever questions you may have. Once again, Welcome!!

Wow, a mobile Librarian. I was just thinking about that the other day, meeting the 'Bookmobile' as a kid ages ago. I don't think they are common anymore in the USA. At least, I haven't seen one in a very long time.

Good luck with your search. It can take a while to really evaluate it - do the self analysis. Quite a few of HFA autistics lead lives that include marriage, jobs, careers, hobbies, social aspects, etc. So just doing that doesn't rule it out.

Hi and welcome to this friendly forum. :) I think you'll be surprised at how functional people with high functioning autism are. And many of us always had struggles but didn't know we were on the spectrum until much later in life (diagnosed at 59, not 61 and I'm not alone). Hope you learn what you need to know.

Hello NecroCurator - There are lots of smart, helpful people here. I'm looking forward to reading about your insight and experiences with issues of depression. It's a big topic that many of us can relate to. Welcome!

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Hi and welcome :)
Lots of ASD people lead quite "normal" lives. We may find some aspects of life more difficult but that can be balanced by finding others easier than is typical.
I wish you good fortune on your journey of discovery.

New Threads

Top Bottom