• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you ever go skydiving?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
I would never the thought of jumping out of a plane is scary to me and the heights and lack of control.
I am afraid of heights.
But I have been abseiling before where I went down a cliff at year 8 camp and even though I was scared and really felt pushed into it and made the mistake of looking down I am so proud I did it.
Would you do anything like that?

I've done it once. Loved it, thrilling. I don't recall the feeling of falling but rather of floating/flying. I'd do it again if I could.

I'm not scared of heights, but I'm scared of falling and so no, I wouldn't. It's totally against my instinct, it would be terrifying!

No way. I'm afraid of heights and I have enough anxiety about being on planes as is.
I'm kind of risk-averse, for the most part. I've been in enough incredibly dangerous situations already, and not by my own choice.

No, I don't think so. Unless I have to. If one little thing goes wrong you are suddenly Wile E. Coyote. It just seems unnecessary to jump out of it if nothing is wrong with the plane.

A friend of mine got permanent back trouble from a jump long ago with the Air Force. I'd have been willing to take the risk when I was stronger, but I don't use oil for recreation. The risks I've taken have mostly been road-related or on the water.

I would never the thought of jumping out of a plane is scary to me and the heights and lack of control.
I am afraid of heights.
But I have been abseiling before where I went down a cliff at year 8 camp and even though I was scared and really felt pushed into it and made the mistake of looking down I am so proud I did it.

Yes. I have 19 military jumps and 11 civilian jumps. I would still do it regularly but for having children making the hobby an unnecessary risk to their future.

Yes, pretty exciting. Strangely, no fear of the height whatsoever - I think it was too high for my brain to compute.

I am afraid of heights.
From the mid 80's to about 2003, skydiving was my life. Have made about 1,000 jumps. I only quit then becacuse of moving away from my favorite drop zone. The people there accepted my autism. The only place I could handle the social interactions. I quit because of moving to another city and all the drop zones there had a less friendly social atmosphere. Ruined it for me.

I can say that there are a lot of preconceived notions about skydiving; almost all wrong. It is commonly considered a "thrill seeking" sport. It can be, but it doesn't have to be - it never was for me. In fact, it is the most peaceful, tranquil, calming thing I have ever done. As some here have mentioned, there is no falling sensation. The distance to the ground it too far for any sense of depth perception. You can't see that you are moving in that direction. It all seems very still and static, like you are lying on the air. That is why one should always have an altimeter. Jumping with a jumpmaster is a commercial amusement park ride style jump called tandem. It would be unlikely to feel the tranquility of freefall on a tandem jump.

That magical tranquility is the reason for jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. No other way to experience it. I posted about it about a year ago: What is the Most Fantastic Experience You Have Ever Had?

I'm not trying to convince anyone to do it. I just hate to see all the negative preconceived notions that every one is so certain of.

Last edited:
I also have 1000+ jumps. 50 of them were naked jumps. Have a certificate from Skydive City recognizing my naked jumps. They called me "naked man".
I started having problems with my eustation tubes that kept them from equalizing the pressure in my inner ears while descending. After I had an ear infection that destroyed my equilibrium, I had to quit jumping. It took months for my brain to get used to the altered equilibrium signals from that ear. I was constantly dizzy for that whole time

New Threads

Top Bottom