• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you date someone way older/younger than you?

Wouldn't date someone younger tbh 'cause I hate most guys my age(I actually generally hate everyone but my hatred for people is definitely more concentrated at my age range) so I wouldn't be able to stand someone younger and like two years is a big difference imo when you're 15.
Probably wouldn't go any higher than 18 though neither.
IDK tbh. 18 at this age. But if it was 18 there'd have to be a reason. Not just like 'cause I would date anyone. TBH I don't think there'd be anyone I'd actually be that bothered about to date anyway.
EMZ=]

I would say maybe 5+ years or 3 to 5 years younger... Depends on what age the brain work with some people...
whistle.gif

I started dating my last girlfriend when I was 36, and she was 21. We really meshed well together and everything felt "right", but the age gap was what killed the relationship in the end. The way she figured it was that people in her family tended to live until they were 90+, so if I got lucky and had an average lifespan then she would still be looking at 30 or 40 years as a widow.

I would not date younger. I am 21 and would not date someone over 24. As I get older a larger gap may become more permissible, but at this point I am not in the same stage of life as someone that old unless they don't have their **** together, and if that's the case I am not interested.

When I was in my early 20s I briefly dated a woman in her mid 30s. She quickly tired of having to pay for me when we went to the expensive-ass (to me, anyway) restaurants that she preferred. God only knows why she expected any different, dating a college student. And she was pretty obviously embarrassed by me when her friends were around. I think she just had it in her head that it would be fun to be with a younger guy and never considered the reality of trying to make two radically different lifestyles mesh.

As for me, I was insecure enough without feeling like I was competing with older guys who already had their **** together.

I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of dating someone different in age again, but I'd need to know that we had a lot more in common than I had with her and the bigger the age difference, the less likely that seems.

mmm. This is a "in theory" versus "in practice" question for me.
I'm 32 and have often been in relationships with those around my age range.

However, I have been asked out by older men [10-15 years] and during a short time when single around when I was 30 I decided to actually try the whole "dating" thing- okcupid and such. For the most part I clicked with older guys. This didn't actually surprise me because discussion-wise I tend to do so regularly. If I had a regular career that is probably the demographic I would most be drawn to in terms of socializing.

I wouldn't have a problem dating someone 10-15 years older than me. I'd have a problem dating someone more than 5 years younger than me in general. Not because of any judgement from anyone else but because from personal experience the chemistry in terms of conversation, types of humor, interests, etc isn't there. For all these things I tend to be a bit older than those my age.

I am dating someone my age now and have been dating him for a while [excluding our break]... but that kind of works because he's sort of old for his age but has no problem when I give every gummi bear in the bag their own name and back story.

So... He's 55 going on 5 but biologically he's 33. [Makes sense, no?]

Now everyone knows the Laz Theory of Non-Dating.

I suppose I did the "way younger" thing. But in my defense, I pretty much end up with people roughly the same age every time when talking relationships. Which is funny in that I get older, but for some reason the people I end up with are more in a stasis in terms of age.

Consistently I end up with women who are around 20 years old. When I was 18 I ended up with someone who was 22, when I was 29 I ended up with someone who was about to turn 19.

Suppose mental age and this entire "I don't do this responsible adult schtick" are part of this as well.

For a reference; the woman I dated when I was 18, worked out fine, until she started pushing the late 20's and clearly become more of a responsible adult. That's where cracks where showing in our relationship. As much as I might aspire a career, I don't really have any socially accepted career plans; I mean, I could totally do the musician/writer/artist career thing, which is something plenty of adults wouldn't want since that have all kinds of things in their life they want; a house, kids, a stable income... I don't want any of that (granted, a stable income is nice; but the circus and jumping through proverbial hoops required for it, are not IMO).

So yeah...

As I'm browsing OkCupid and similar sites, I tried to make an effort to look at people my age, but I have nothing in common with most of them at all. Mostly because of the aforementioned "stable career" thing. And even there, I connect to people still in their early 20's. And as much as I don't care much for age, it's not just me. Obviously other people see age, and not everyone considers it "just a number".

I was talking about this with a friend of mine the other day; age gaps don't seem that odd the older you get. An example he told me about was years ago when he was at the gym and a girl started talking to him. He was 22 at the time and someone commented if they were trying to set up a date or anything. My friend commented "nah... she's way too young". To where she, a Brazillian girl, commented; I'm 15, but in my culture it's perfectly acceptable. So 1. it's a cultural thing in some parts (not to mention a question of legality). and 2. 7 years... 22 vs. 15, sounds odd. If you're 32 and 25 it's not that odd (or 42 and 35 even). The other way, it gets a bit weirder I suppose; 18 vs. 11. 15 vs. 8 and so on.

I had a range of 2-3 years below and above my age. Maybe four years if he was nice. And then I got tired of all the immature party animals and married a guy seven years older. Eh, he tends to be an exception to a lot of my rules.

What they need to do is come out with app that allows you to type in everything you want in a relationship. The age you are looking for, income, you know all the specs. Then you print out some scanner stickers and just stick them on you bag or coat. Whereever.

Then someone can scan your sticker with their smart phone when your not looking and Bamn! No useless talking, no sad stories, you already know you are reasonably compatible.

Someone like myslef could walk into a busy bar and in mere minutes run in and then get the hell out and have a good idea if it's worth the risk of going back in.

Since I work in Boston I could cover the entire city in no time!

The beach.... "excuse me do have the time?" Bamn! Your sticker just got scanned honney! Strike out!

Worst case scenario if my phone doesn't give me and god results, I can just say my phone is broke!

Oh and -5 to +5 years with a 3 year cushion in the event it's needed.

I lived with a man who was 20 years older, from age 19 - 29
Big age differences grow, as you both get older but age was not the reason he had to be dumped.

I usually date older guys (my actual bf is 5 years older than me). I also seem to attract older ones too.
I think it, perhaps, a consequence of having quite a lot of older friends as well.
But I really don't mind as long as they are mature individuals and have the characteristics I'm looking for in a partner. Sometimes the real age of someone doesn't reflect how mature he/she is (of course, experience is something gained after all).

I only dated once a younger person and didn't go well, but that doesn't mean anything I guess haha.

New Threads

Top Bottom