• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Working two jobs

joe2006

I have been working as a dishwasher for the last two years and have enjoyed this job but I was not getting enough hours. They would have me working for four hours and sometimes not even that. A few weeks ago I applied to three of the stores we have around town and was called in for an interview for two of those stores.

One of the managers of the stores hired me and gave me a night shift job. I was a little concerned that I might not do a good enough job and would be fired after working there for a month. Here it is two weeks after I got hired and the boss is telling me that I'm doing a good job facing items on the shelves. Everyone in that store seems pleased with my work.

The only problem I have now is I get a little nervous when the customers ask me something. Sometimes I feel so uncomfortable that I wish I could put on a coat over my store uniform so they would think I was another customer and leave me alone.

At least I have my jobs to look forward to and get to work almost ten hours a day.

Sounds like a decent setup. I've often considered working multiple part-time jobs instead of one full-time job, if I were faced with a situation where I had to find work again. I see a lot of advantages to having more than one job:

1) If one of the jobs doesn't work out, you aren't completely screwed. It's like a "don't put all your eggs in one basket" type of deal.

2) There are double (or triple) the opportunities to turn it into something bigger (and ideally well-paying).

3) Working the same job for 8 or more hours can get really boring. I've always envied Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks; he said in one episode he has 47 jobs or something like that. Obviously, that's an absurd illustration of my point, but he must have an interesting life getting to do so many different things.

There's probably even more advantages I'm not thinking of, but it sounds like you're happy with your job situation and so I'm happy for you. Go you!

Sounds like a good job, except the pay's probably really low.

I've had 2 different voluntary jobs on the go at once, about 3 years ago I was working at the PDSA on Tuesdays and then Oxfam Bookshop on Fridays, until I was forced to leave Oxfam on safety grounds, the shop itself got burgled, and then there was that time I got attacked outside the shop while waiting at the Bus stop for my carer.

And don't even get me started on what happened at the PDSA, it's been discussed at length on here anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom