• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why I hate hospitals

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I had no choice but go to the dr for repeat prescription and whilst there, he checked my blood pressure and, well it was pretty high and I had to admit to feeling an uncomfortable sensation in my heart area.

He did checked my heart and said that it was working well, but got an appointment IMMEDIATELY for the cardio at a local hospital, that afternoon, which was this monday gone.

I went and was hooked up again and blood pressure was taken and this time, normal range.

Then, the long, infernal wait for the dr to tell me what the reading was. She eventually turned up and I had a scan on my heart and I tell you, I was in awe. I mean, we pummel our bodies so much, but that faithful little organ just beats away. It both fascinated me and scared me, in case she found an anomalie, but thankfully, the only verdict was: heart beating too fast, which surprised me, because I heard my heart beating and it seemed rather sluggish lol

Then, she said that the blood tests I had done earlier, if they came back normal, I had to return the same time, the next day and use an exercise bike. So, basically, if my blood tests were not normal, she told me I had to STAY IN HOSPITAL. So, panic surged inside and pretty sure my heart did not like that and my blood pressure either!

Thankfully, they came back normal, so I returned the following day.

I, thankfully, was allowed to keep my bra on (yep, had to strip to be hooked up). So, there I was, hooked to the heart monitor and blood pressure gage on and had to wait, 20 MINUTES for the dr to appear and I felt so demoralised. Eventually, close to tears, I used my brains and found I could move the pole that was had the tubes attached to my chest area, around and got off the bike and went on my phone, which passed the time and she then, did arrive.

Hospitals are a nightmare and I really dread going to them, but at least I know my heart is in good working order. I have a blood pressure kit, so I can regulate it myself.

Well this is a timely thread, because I have to go to hospital today for a CT scan. Yeah, hate hospitals for many reasons. For these scans, unlike other tests which you can book online, you have to phone. I hate this. The lady who I spoke to was most rude and unpleasant. I have difficulty speaking on the phone and have anxiety, so tend to ask lots of questions, and then repeat them to be sure. She has no patience. She forgot to give me instructions about eating/drinking before the scan, so I asked her about it, and she got angry with me and snapped at me, "Didn't I tell you that already?!" but shouting. Not all staff are like that, some listen and try to help, it's just this particular one. Now I dread having to see/talk her and deal with her again.

I'm glad you're ok. I guess that if there is a suspected heart condition, it can be really urgent and might need you to have it investigated straight away, one of those (potentially very dangerous) curveballs that life can throw at you.

Well this is a timely thread, because I have to go to hospital today for a CT scan. Yeah, hate hospitals for many reasons. For these scans, unlike other tests which you can book online, you have to phone. I hate this. The lady who I spoke to was most rude and unpleasant. I have difficulty speaking on the phone and have anxiety, so tend to ask lots of questions, and then repeat them to be sure. She has no patience. She forgot to give me instructions about eating/drinking before the scan, so I asked her about it, and she got angry with me and snapped at me, "Didn't I tell you that already?!" but shouting. Not all staff are like that, some listen and try to help, it's just this particular one. Now I dread having to see/talk her and deal with her again.

I'm glad you're ok. I guess that if there is a suspected heart condition, it can be really urgent and might need you to have it investigated straight away, one of those (potentially very dangerous) curveballs that life can throw at you.

Glad you see this as a timely thread.

Wow, I would feel so deflated if a supposed profession spoke to me like that, but it reminds me of what my husband said just yesterday. A few year's ago, he had to be tested and so, used an exercise bike etc, and his stamina is pretty awful. Despite having a very physical job, he has very little energies and the nurse who was testing him, treated him badly, as though he was useless, when in fact, should have investigated it further, so that scared me a little, in case I would experience similar, but due to my regular exercises at home, my stamina is pretty good and I was complimented by the nurse and dr lol Had they been without smile and curt, it would have severely distressed me.

Anyway, really hope for a good outcome for you too.

There is likely to be a waiting period between different staff seeing you. Is there a friend or companion who would be able to accompany you by any chance? Maybe not cause of the pandemic :(

There is likely to be a waiting period between different staff seeing you. Is there a friend or companion who would be able to accompany you by any chance? Maybe not cause of the pandemic :(

My husband was in the waiting room and was not allowed to be with me.

Timely - yes. lol This past Monday I had to go for a ct and MRI. For the MRI all I could leave on of my own was socks and panties, I was relieved they had scrubs and not the gowns for me to put on. In the waiting room a little old lady asked in a critical tone if I didn't like wearing shoes. I always request a copy for me to bring home and have to wait because someone forgot, even though I'd remind them last thing. The ct wasn't so bad, but the brain MRI I'll never do again. I'm not claustrophobic and the noise don't bother me unless I felt it. I had to lay my head into this mold, then they crammed ear plugs in my ears (I'd rather of had the noise) put cushion around my head and neck to prevent any movement, then placed a guard over my face (a whole for the face). Twenty minutes in this tunnel with my head guarded up - mask still on, which tickled my nose and I'd use my tongue to try to move it a little. My neck got stiffer and stiffer and I came out with the worst headache - and had to wait thirty minutes for them to burn the cds. I've had the brain MRI before but they needed a repeat one. So now they have it and they won't get another. Had to drive over an hour home - had nothing with me to take for the headache. But I hate everything about it, from being handed what they want you to wear. They were all nice though - do I need a blanket or cup of water, and so on. Nope, need nothing but to get it over with. And another lady in the waiting room - the one who asked about my shoes, kept talking to me and I just kept thinking - please take one of us soon.

Blood pressure and heart rate - every time I go to any doctor it's high - both are high. They always say they will recheck it before I leave and threaten to keep me if it doesn't go down, but then they always manage to forget and I'm sure not reminding them. lol I recheck it at home once I calm down and it's fine. And I'm so thankful I don't have to do the physical stress test - any irregularity in an ekg and they do the chemical stress test - which makes you feel really weird. I'll never have to do the treadmill. :) :)

And what is it - I never want anyone to go with me - even a cardiac cath I went alone. Most people do want someone there and I need to ask why.

I had to spend a lot of time in hospitals/clinics the last few years and tried to adopt a low stress approach. When I enter the building I think of it as sort of entering a time warp and try not to have any expectations as to when I will come out again. Instead I try and distract myself with whatever is available and zone out. I have a little travel bag and always bring a book, some snacks, etc. Even if it means watching cooking shows in a waiting room I will try and get into it even though I don't usually watch TV or like cooking. But they make little jokes and the whole thing is silly so I see it as a lark.

The thing is hospitals/clinics often run over time and its not anybodies fault, its just the unpredictable nature of their work. So I basically expect long delays. I usually find if I am pleasent/friendly they are too and that helps the experience. I do try and keep track to make sure I haven't been forgotten and double check at times to make sure I am in the right place. Don't want to add an hour in the wrong waiting room ;)

I had this too. I had stopped taking prozac from about 15 years and after the withdrawl symptoms went, after a while, I found that each time I started to talk, my words seem to fade. Such a weird sensation and a dr frightened me into thinking it could be a tumor or something and ordered an mri.

For me, it was frightening, but my faith helped me cope and I had music and as long as I concentrated on that, panic was at a minium.

They were not kind at all. Just matter a fact, but most French ones are like that.

Thankfully, just a mild case of sinus issues.

I had to spend a lot of time in hospitals/clinics the last few years and tried to adopt a low stress approach. When I enter the building I think of it as sort of entering a time warp and try not to have any expectations as to when I will come out again. Instead I try and distract myself with whatever is available and zone out. I have a little travel bag and always bring a book, some snacks, etc. Even if it means watching cooking shows in a waiting room I will try and get into it even though I don't usually watch TV or like cooking. But they make little jokes and the whole thing is silly so I see it as a lark.

The thing is hospitals/clinics often run over time and its not anybodies fault, its just the unpredictable nature of their work. So I basically expect long delays. I usually find if I am pleasent/friendly they are too and that helps the experience. I do try and keep track to make sure I haven't been forgotten and double check at times to make sure I am in the right place. Don't want to add an hour in the wrong waiting room ;)

In the second waiting room where you're waiting for your procedures, I noticed there was no clock anywhere in sight. I figured this was deliberate. I also know it's going to be a while and I did take some crochet with me. I don't like the tv shows they play. But I do wish I had thought to bring a snack - I skipped lunch and it was after 4 when I got out.

I only went for myself twice ever, once I was about 6 and had hurt my hand playing on the gate, then next I was 21 and had a little op for a benign lump on the side of my jaw.

I do recall they made me wait to be collected after the night in hospital, and my then partner was really, really late. A nice guy who was there after a cancer op, said go downstairs to wait then if you don't get collected you can sneak out, he was afraid they'd make me stay another night otherwise. That was the early 80s. Luckily I ve never been since.

I only went for myself twice ever, once I was about 6 and had hurt my hand playing on the gate, then next I was 21 and had a little op for a benign lump on the side of my jaw.

I do recall they made me wait to be collected after the night in hospital, and my then partner was really, really late. A nice guy who was there after a cancer op, said go downstairs to wait then if you don't get collected you can sneak out, he was afraid they'd make me stay another night otherwise. That was the early 80s. Luckily I ve never been since.

My first was in '82 for something rare called Mountain Tick Fever. 11 days in Hospital. My roommate was an WW1 Vet in his 80's who didn't have much of an appetite, while I was famished with the strict small portions. Without asking he starting hiding the food he didn't eat and secretly passing it to me. :)

I don't really HATE hospitals, rather I'm afraid of them, especially when I'm the patient. This comes from the very first time I went there for surgery, of any kind. My teeth were messed up bad and, I think I had an infection? Anyway, why they couldn't do this at the dentist office i will never know, but as long as it got done I was okay with it.

Of course, this being the very first time I went under the knife for anything, I was expecting to just be given something to make me not feel pain while they fixed my mouth. Then I was told they were going to put me to sleep for the whole thing, which I actually found really comforting, because not only would I not feel anything, I wouldn't even have to watch it happen, so that was cool I guess.

What i DIDN'T know was HOW they were going to put me to sleep: anesthesia. I was 10, and wasn't really familiar with hospital stuff, but I was known for putting two and two together.

So, here's the thing.

The last thing I remember before even seeing myself going to the OR, was drinking... something. The nurse gave me a small shot cup, like they give you certain medicines with, and it had a very weird smelling gold-colored liquid in it. I was told to DRINK IT REAL FAST REALLY FAST QUICKLY QUICKLY! I guess because they knew it tasted like [bleep], and it DID. God almighty I didn't know such a horrible taste was scientifically possible.

Then i was giggling at something, then I got violent hiccups... then the TV on the wall started to fade...

Next thing I knew, I was sitting upright in another bed, it was bigger and there were strange wireframe walls surrounding me, as if they were trying to keep my body safe from something.

I slowly took careful hold of both those little walls...

Then it dawned on me. I had no idea what happened. I didn't even know where I was, if I was even still in the hospital. For a second I didn't know who I was either, till I heard my name again.

I was always afraid of doing that again. If I ever have to. What if something happens to me while I'm sleeping? What if the people working on me don't know what they're doing?!

That's why, if I have another surgery/procedure for anything, they better make me think I'm frickin dead, or hypnotize me, one of those.

6 hour total fast, no water for ultrasound and some kinda scan machine they slot you into. means you have to eat at 3 am for a 10 am appointment. had enuf of that the one year they wanted it, felt like unpaid research subject to me.

Suzanne, they call it white coat hypertension when you go to the doctor and your blood pressure is elevated.

Last time I went, it was 110/70. Not bad for someone female, fat and over forty. And on stimulants, heh.

I'm glad you're ok. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom