• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who turns off their computer?

inabox

Don't EVER give up
V.I.P Member
Most people I know turn their laptop/ computer off when they've finished with it and criticise me for not doing the same.

I only turn off the laptop I have now because its battery is nearly knackered and won't stay on for longer than 5 mins without being plugged in and I don't want the battery to become useless completely. My desktop never gets turned off and if I had a laptop with proper battery that would be the same.

Does anyone follow the principle of not allowing the on/off count (or whatever the technical term is) to increment more than necessary? Or does anyone know if that is definitely an out of date principle. To be honest I don't think manufacturers will do away with that opportunity they have of forcing people to buy another machine.

Also anyone know on which component this counter is located? Surely it would be possible to (maybe with a bit of surface mount level soldering) bypass this?

Never knew this but I do know some printers haves a counter how many times you can print until the printer will stop working.

My computers never turns off except my laptop as I bring it with me every wear. I never own a laptop that stop working after X amount turn offs.

There people all the time hack stuff so there can be very high odds this counter can be reset.

Well, "planned obsolecence" seems to be a thing, which applies to most modern electronics making replace it after use, even if certain machines should really last for way, way longer.

Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back when I had a laptop I turned it off when I didn't use it, or at least put it on stand-by. But I never had a laptop as my only computer, so that might change such a matter a bit. My desktop computer however is on pretty much 24/7 and usually gets some time off when I actually leave the house for a while and don't intend to use it (like going out to a bar or so), unless I'm busy downloading something or whatever else I need to have it on for.

Yeh, planned obsolescence is an abomination. You pay for something and nowhere is there a notification of its intended true life span.
So I'm all for getting around that. In any way that I possibly can.
Vista, amongst other OS was planned for obsolescence which is why Microsoft introduced a virus disguised as an"update". But that's another story....

I can't remember the last time I shutdown my iMac. Possibly only when it's hot here and the weather makes it over heat and run slower, so it probably needs a break.

I can't remember the last time I shutdown my iMac. Possibly only when it's hot here and the weather makes it over heat and run slower, so it probably needs a break.
Be happy you don't have 3 computers and other electronics in a bedroom. I don't need to turn on the heat in my bedroom until it -4C outside.

Since mine lives in my bedroom and has a bright light on inside the case when powered on, (which lights up the whole room! :p ) I always turn it off at bedtime.

I turn my laptop computer off at the end of my browsing session. I'm on my laptop twice a day, in the morning and in the evening.

The idea that a computer is processing away, performing complex logic decisions, and then you just pull the plug and *pop* it all just disappears into nothingness spooks me sometimes.

Mortality.

Last edited:
On the rare occasions that I do just pull the plug, it's for exactly that reason. I know it's performing some complex decision, and it's one that I havent asked it to do, nor do I want it to. That'll put a stop to it.
....Sometimes it pleases me to see it disappear into nothingness. If it's nicer to see than its alternative :)

ME! I always turn off my laptop. I never turn off my printer - unless it goes off when the electricity does. I do have to turn my iPhone off sometimes because it will start doing weird things and needs to be rebooted. I use my phone for everything so it can't be turned off for more than a few seconds - or I'd absolutely die! :p

I have a really annoying printer. I'm surprised it's still in one piece because I'd quite happily "turn it off" by beating it something heavy. I hate it. But it was cheap and it prints. When it wants to. When you turn off your laptop, is it because you have finished using it, or a different reason? I'm just curious :)

I have a really annoying printer. I'm surprised it's still in one piece because I'd quite happily "turn it off" by beating it something heavy. I hate it. But it was cheap and it prints. When it wants to. When you turn off your laptop, is it because you have finished using it, or a different reason? I'm just curious :)

It's because I'm done using it. I figure why keep the machine on continuously cause it will keep running the fan to cool it and if the screen stays on the screen savor will keep running and I just don't think its good for the screen to be in constant use either. It sounds like it would wear it out quicker.

My printer is an ink jet printer that copies, faxes and does color prints and it only cost $100. You should try looking for another printer cause they are so cheap now.

Sometimes I have to admit that I do leave my computer running for awhile, but it's only because I have such cute pictures of Grumpy Cat and Waldo as screen savers. :) They always cheer me up!

It's because I'm done using it. I figure why keep the machine on continuously cause it will keep running the fan to cool it and if the screen stays on the screen savor will keep running and I just don't think its good for the screen to be in constant use either. It sounds like it would wear it out quicker.

My printer is an ink jet printer that copies, faxes and does color prints and it only cost $100. You should try looking for another printer cause they are so cheap now.

The places I have available to me that sell printers are either expensive (maybe to me because I'm continously broke, or I'd have to buy a second-hand one, which could be free, but wouldn't know it's history and may not work at all without considerable and non-cost effective repairs)
At the moment (not right now, jusr generally) I'm looking into any manufacturer who might have changed how they do their "lifespan" timing. It used to be on a chip that counts the on/off times, or some use a time/date to decide when to become useless in some way. I will have to look deep, as manufacturers obviously won't advertise this trick, and they're getting better at hiding things, and will try to "put you off the scent".

I agree that it's nice to have a happy or funny picture to look at [emoji1]

Yeah I turn off everything at night. I only turn on my inkjet printer when I actually need it, since it goes through a cleaning cycle each time it's turned on, and uses up ink in the process.

I used to work at a company where it was company policy to turn computers off at night after one had a melt down in the middle of the night.

When I used Win95 at home I'd shut it down at night as it needed the regular reboot anyway.
I started shutting down my WinXP machine once the hardware started dying and refused to restart from powersaving modes.
My Win8 machine stays on almost all the time.
If you are hypervigilant about security, you should always fully shut down as RAM isn't encrypted even if your harddrive is.
I recently bought a new printer as its cheaper than getting the old one serviced (needs regular 'waste tank' cleanings) as well as being better quality and more features.

I shut mine down at night and turn it back on in the morning. If I leave it during the day I might lock it or put it to sleep, depending on how long I'll be gone and whether or not there will be anyone else home.

New Threads

Top Bottom