• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who turns off their computer?

Well there are a few other examples when my computer turns off. When I'm doing a hardware upgrade or during a power outage. I do own a UPS that good for 30 minutes. More than enough time for the computer to turn it self off.

The places I have available to me that sell printers are either expensive (maybe to me because I'm continously broke, or I'd have to buy a second-hand one, which could be free, but wouldn't know it's history and may not work at all without considerable and non-cost effective repairs)
At the moment (not right now, jusr generally) I'm looking into any manufacturer who might have changed how they do their "lifespan" timing. It used to be on a chip that counts the on/off times, or some use a time/date to decide when to become useless in some way. I will have to look deep, as manufacturers obviously won't advertise this trick, and they're getting better at hiding things, and will try to "put you off the scent".

I agree that it's nice to have a happy or funny picture to look at [emoji1]

I didn't know there was such a thing! Is there a chip that does that?

Actually, I'm thinking they do something to the car computers because I swear something goes on with mine just about every time it's time to take the thing in for its 6 mos oil change. :mad:

And you know with the printers the most expensive thing is the ink, but I found some on Amazon for half the price and even cheaper!!! I love you Amazon!!!
Oh! And speaking of Amazon, it was just in the news that they got the OK to use drones for deliveries! Maybe soon I can have my daily deliveries right to my back door so I'll never have to see my neighbors!!!!!! Woo hoo! :p

I always try to turn electronics off so I'm not wasting electricity, bugs the hell out of me the way they have removed on/off switches on everything these days.
However with the laptop I'm pretty always using it or will be back to it fairly soon so I tend to put it into standby.

I always try to turn electronics off so I'm not wasting electricity, bugs the hell out of me the way they have removed on/off switches on everything these days.
However with the laptop I'm pretty always using it or will be back to it fairly soon so I tend to put it into standby.
I think HiSaver Energy Saving Powerbar for PC would interest you. One important note. You might want to have your modem and router in always on mode if you need access to your network and internet at all times.

35115_0.jpg

HiSaver Energy Saving Powerbar for PC

Attachments

• 35115_0.jpg
    35115_0.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 230
As someone who has a firm understanding of electronics,I never turn a computer off unless it is necessary to prevent startup thermal shock. My TV that I am using as my main monitor on this laptop had been on for nearly three years and has only been off during power failures, This laptop has been on 24/7 for over four years now unless the power has failed or it required a restart.

I run a router that only gets shut off for a reboot and my computer line needs to remain open for my VOIP signal booster for my cell phone to work in my home.

I had a TV that ran for over ten years 24/7 until I gave it a new home. She still uses it :D

This laptop has been on 24/7 for over four years now unless the power has failed or it required a restart.
My late partner bought a laptop for cheap when the laptop was 4 years old. It had a few missing keys, but everything else was ok. It did not get turned off for the next 3 years, except, like you, when the power went off. It never got any worse.

.... Do you agree with my reasons?
I have never heard of a counter in a computer,but that doesn't mean they can't exist. I think that many of the failures are due to break downs in electrolytic capacitors. The have a finite life and often when I had problems with a CNC machine,a temporary fix was implemented with a common hair dryer to heat the caps to bring a machine back online. I was taught that method by a technician when he did it in front of me. After the bad capacitors were identified,a parts change was in order.

I have an ongoing experiment using 1 farad ultra-capacitors banks as a starting battery. An ultracap can store a charge placed on it in seconds and store for long term. Their capacity diminishes as the caps are wired in series,so it is very necessary to match the required voltages and wire them in parallel. My riding mower no longer requires a battery to start it. I hope to build an automotive replacement bank in the future utilizing these special electrolytic caps instead of the battery in the future. I have a DC motor toy car that runs off an ultra cap that charges instantly and runs for five minutes on the cap alone ;)

I turn off my pc at night but only because the led case lighting and the fan noise is a nuisance when i want to sleep

I turn mine off mainly to save power and to stop it from overheating. its not like you keep you're car running when you're not using or leave the lights on when you're not in the room. to me turning off a computer makes sense.

I didn't know there was such a thing! Is there a chip that does that?
Yep. But I'm looking to see if/ when there's any update on that situation.

And speaking of Amazon, it was just in the news that they got the OK to use drones for deliveries! Maybe soon I can have my daily deliveries right to my back door so I'll never have to see my neighbors!!!!!! Woo hoo! [emoji14]
I like the idea of not dealing with people. Many delivery drivers I've had come to my door have been either too nosy or very grumpy

Things that should be able to be turned off often don't, in my experience. The cynic in me thinks the things that can't be turned off are up to something that I won't like, so I try and stay away from them. Don't trust their motives.

Nitro, I love supercaps too.

Mouser.com sells supercaps at 2.5KF @ 2.7 V. No, it's not a typo. They really are 27,000 Farads a piece. :)

<EvilGenius> I wonder what I could do with those !! :p </EvilGenius>

I swear I am one lab accident away from becoming a supervillain. Bazinga ! :D:cool:

I turn mine off mainly to save power and to stop it from overheating. its not like you keep you're car running when you're not using or leave the lights on when you're not in the room. to me turning off a computer makes sense.
It is not a good idea to let a car idle for extended periods,however light bulb failure is brought on my thermal shock. I date every lightbulb I use and have kept fairly tight records of how long they last. The switched lights have shorter lives and florescent lamps use more energy on restart than to leave them on.

I have an ongoing experiment using 1 farad ultra-capacitors banks as a starting battery. An ultracap can store a charge placed on it in seconds and store for long term. Their capacity diminishes as the caps are wired in series,so it is very necessary to match the required voltages and wire them in parallel. My riding mower no longer requires a battery to start it. I hope to build an automotive replacement bank in the future utilizing these special electrolytic caps instead of the battery in the future. I have a DC motor toy car that runs off an ultra cap that charges instantly and runs for five minutes on the cap alone ;)

Supercaps are so much better than batteries in so many situations. But I don't suppose manufacturers would like the result. My partner had a few ideas like yours with the caps.
If laptops didn't have the batteries they have now, (supercaps instead) I suspect people would not stop using them because of battery not holding its charge.

Nitro, I love supercaps too.

Mouser.com sells supercaps at 2.5KF @ 2.7 V. No, it's not a typo. They really are 27,000 Farads a piece. :)

<EvilGenius> I wonder what I could do with those !! :p </EvilGenius>

I swear I am one lab accident away from becoming a supervillain. Bazinga ! :D:cool:
I am looking for a power transmission cap to use for deforming and propelling steel objects

New Threads

Top Bottom