• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who else thinks that Star Wars never that good?

I watched my first Star Wars film as a teenager. It seemed dated.

I played the N64 game with Dash as the main character. As a game it was enjoyable to play. But I've never been a huge fan of Sci fi video games. Firing imaginary laser weapons isn't as fun as firing imaginary ballistic weapons.

Star Wars Battlefront by EA has some of the best graphics I've ever seen though. I was mesmerised in that respect, but again - I didn't enjoy the Sci fi.

I think I've watcjed all 3 original films as well as the Phantom Menace. I remember the PS1 game of that film and it was very difficult.

In general though I've never been keen on Star Wars. I've met a few people who love the franchise, and I love to deliberately mix up Star Wars and Star Trek references to bait them.

Ed

I believe that Disney reanimated a corpse with the sequels. They did what worked before and hoped it would be a win.

Star Wars is more or less like an epos evolving around the tragical life story of the main hero turned villain turned hero. A battle of 'Good' Vs 'Evil'. Whatever that's supposed to mean.

The timeline ends with Return of the Jedi for me.
The movies have all been somewhat mediocre, with plot holes and inconstancies because George Lucas didn't know what he wanted either. He's great at world building though, you have to give him that. The best character that came out of Star Wars is Ahsoka Tano in my opinion. Actual character development there. She's badass.

My parents assume they showed me a ton of movies growing up because "he must have seen it at some point". It's why I've never seen any of the Disney Princess movies except Frozen, for example. Same with Star Wars. But I listened to some of the first movie's radio play version in the background and I liked it.

My Dad has a love-hate relationship. He watched them when they came out, so they're really nostalgic, but he's also a "hard" sci-fi fan, so it drives him up the wall sometimes (in a fun way). Also with the names. Sometimes I tell him some new name I heard in the expanded universe just to troll him. Like Reep Daggle or Tott Doneeta or Freedon Nadd, who started the Naddist movement (which is what I call the manosphere now). And one of those isn't from Star Wars, but if you don't already know it's hard to guess, isn't it.

I saw two of the new movies a couple years ago and I don't remember anything about Rey. It's weird seeing people get so mad about her, I don't know why she sticks in their minds and not mine.

I think sequels are in a catch-22. If you try and continue the author's vision, you probably aren't as good at someone else's vision as they were, and you have to guess what they would've done without doing what they've already done. If you take it in a new direction, you'll disappoint a lot of people who wanted more of the old thing, and it might really clash with what the original story was like. IIRC the new trilogy did both, one movie at a time! But again, I don't remember much. And either way, expectations are so, so high because a lot of people don't really want another Star Wars movie, they want a movie that makes them feel like the first ones do.

But hey, it gave us Mark Hamill. Can't knock it too much.

I have an update.

Although I have no interest in seeing any of the other films, I've noticed I have had an interesting recently in various video games based on the series. I've started playing the game, "Knights of the Old Republic" (2003) and the upcoming game Star Wars Eclipse.

Last edited:
I loved playing the Shadows of the Empire game and the novel as well as the comics of it are good, too.

I have an update.

Although I have no interest in seeing any of the other films, I've noticed I have had an interesting recently in various video games based on the series. I've started playing the game, "Knights of the Old Republic" (2003) and the upcoming game Star Wars Eclipse.

Oh yeah, there were some good games.

I'm not too into the franchise as I'd said but even I have my favorites as far as games go. And heck, some are downright classics. Like that ancient wireframe one, the ORIGINAL arcade game from the 80s... extremely well made and holds up just fine today. Great then, still great now.

And then there was that weird one on the N64, always remember that... Shadows of the Empire, I think it was.

And the even weirder NES one where Vader turns into a scorpion or something for some reason. It made no sense. Was that NES or just a Famicom release? Hm, I dont recall. One or the other.

And then there was that weird one on the N64, always remember that... Shadows of the Empire, I think it was.

There’s that and Rogue Squadron. Later in life, I found out there’s a PC version of the former which has FMV sequences with voice acting as well. IG-88’s voice is seriously intimidating. Have you read the novel and the tie-in comics, too?

I remember a former friend playing the Doom inspired Dark Forces. I learned later on the scary red-eyed alien in the cutscenes was Admiral Thrawn. The Thrawn trilogy of books are on my reading list.

Never liked it and I think it’s even worse that Natalie Portman, one of the most average looking women in Hollywood and a pretty bad actress in my own opinion, got a career boost from wearing what is essentially a grandma’s ugly Thanksgiving tablecloth with matching runner and make up so white that even geishas are screaming at her to tone it down a bit! Look at that awful red thing she wears and add some candelabras on her and tell me that isn’t a tablecloth and matching runner set up for Thanksgiving. I actually find Jar Jar Banks more attractive than Natalie Portman and that’s just sad. I think the movies after the original trilogy are poorly written and full of plot holes that no one notices because they are all too wowed by the CGI to notice anything else! I’m glad someone finally agrees with me that Star Wars isn’t as great as people claim.

I've played some of the Star Wars video games and enjoyed them, but I have absolutely no interest in ever watching any of the movies.

Fun fact: Spaceballs is one of my all-time favorite comedy movies since I was a kid. But it took until I was practically a teenager before I finally realized that it was a parody of Star Wars. I just thought it was its own thing and it still made me laugh despite some of the jokes/references being lost on me.

I just remembered how ugly that head piece Padmé wears in the tablecloth outfit and how it looks more like a fancy candle holder. Everything about that outfit is just bad. I mean I’ve seen drag queens wearing outfits made from garbage bags look much better than that! Take a look!
Ef8lyWwWsAI3l3V.jpg

That probably cost $10 at most to make and detailed and this ugly thing
1-Padme.jpg

probably cost hundreds of dollars to make and it isn’t even that great to look at to begin with! A replica of this ugly thing costs $155 on Amazon yet a dress made from nothing but plastic garbage bags still looks better?! Anyone else see the problem here? Here are even more drag queens wearing outfits made from garbage bags that just prove my point.
upload_2022-1-9_8-12-29.jpeg

upload_2022-1-9_8-16-33.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-9_8-17-13.png
    upload_2022-1-9_8-17-13.png
    272.1 KB · Views: 73
Watched the original movies, thought they were good but don't understand the cult following it's got.

My brain can't retain Star Wars for some reason. It's like I sit down to watch the movie and then the next thing I know the credits are rolling, like I blanked out during the whole plot. I'm with BrokenBoy, I don't think it aged well. But there will always be a special place in my heart for C-3PO.

My brain can't retain Star Wars for some reason. It's like I sit down to watch the movie and then the next thing I know the credits are rolling, like I blanked out during the whole plot. I'm with BrokenBoy, I don't think it aged well. But there will always be a special place in my heart for C-3PO.
Don’t feel bad. Lord of the Rings did that to me twenty minutes in. And I was in the movie theater too! I can’t get past that point before I fall asleep from total boredom.

OK so I didn't grow up with it like literally everyone else in the universe apparently. The chance never came up I suppose. I saw episode 4 last year and thought it was mediocre.

The special effects haven't aged well and look horrible. I found the story to be very boring until Obi Wan showed up. There's also tons of nonsense technobabble. The fight scenes are terrible because they rely solely on constant flashing lights to artificially and cheaply create "excitement" instead of actually having interesting choreography. It caused me to constantly be spacing out throughout all of the action scenes.

I hardly remember anything the big climatic scene where the death star explodes. (BTW am I the only one who finds it funny that it took them 43 years to explain the massive plot hole in that scene?)

The sole redeeming qualities of the film are the snappy dialogue and comic relief. Also the character C-3PO. He's my favorite character and definitely the most likeable.

I don't understand why people hold the series to high regard. Does anyone else here agree?
it was plenty good. its the new movies that are done by disney that ruined it.

I could never get into Star Wars like the way other people did. I just didn’t see the hype. There’s plenty of other science fiction franchises out there anyway, such as Star Trek, which while I’m not a mega fan of it or anything, I found to be more enjoyable due to its history in fandom.
The closest connection to Star Wars I’ve had was me and my sister growing up playing the Lego Star Wars Complete Collection on the Wii and Xbox 360. That’s it.

it was plenty good. its the new movies that are done by disney that ruined it.

Once the studio system and their shareholders get a hold of something potentially creative, the end product is always less than what it might have been. Much like anything legislated, where the proposed horse comes out as a camel. o_O

George Lucas creatively held a monopoly over his film franchise. Until he sold it away...miffed at the very system he as an independent filmmaker sold out to. :oops:

I don’t understand why everyone is so in love and obsessed with that Yoda baby thing. I don’t think it’s that cute and think it’s rather “Meh!” looking. It’s sort of boring to look at especially if you compare that thing to other characters in the series such as R2D2 and Bono Fett. All that baby thingy is a green head sticking out of an ugly old brown coat.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why everyone is so in love and obsessed with that Yoda baby thing. I don’t think it’s that cute and think it’s rather “Meh!” looking. It’s sort of boring to look at especially if you compare that thing to other characters in the series such as R2D2 and Bono Fett. All that baby thingy is a green head sticking out of a an ugly old brown coat.

I can't get over how Disney pretends it's "the Child" like anybody's gonna call it that now.

I could never get into Star Wars like the way other people did. I just didn’t see the hype. There’s plenty of other science fiction franchises out there anyway, such as Star Trek, which while I’m not a mega fan of it or anything, I found to be more enjoyable due to its history in fandom.
The closest connection to Star Wars I’ve had was me and my sister growing up playing the Lego Star Wars Complete Collection on the Wii and Xbox 360. That’s it.

Wow, same, literally the only difference is me and my sister had PS2. Wonder if the new Lego games are still good.

I get a kick out of seeing artist renditions of middle-aged Yoda

Also, FantaOpossum, your icon is awesome. Is that from the movie 1917? That's one of my favorite movies.

Attachments

• 440ejp5bg7i31.jpg
    440ejp5bg7i31.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 49
I don't hate it. Neither am I a big fan. I enjoyed it as a kid. I will say it's more entertaining than Star Trek. Which I find to be incredibly boring. "TOS" with Kwirk and Speck ,I didn't mind. Watched that occasionally as a kid. Very colorful. I'm talking about those 80's & 90's spin offs. Luc Picard and all that.

ALso. I think George Lucas is somewhat of a Hack writer. But he sure hit gold, and created one hell of an Empire. Kudos to him. Quite the good spot of luck. I know he struggled to make it in the film business.

Also It wouldn't surprise me if he has 'mild Aspergers. Not at all.

But I haven't watched anything past the Phantom Menace. It doesn't interest me at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom