• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which generation are you?

Which generation are you?

• Total voters
Tail end of gen X - although the idea of defining people based on a couple of decades seems meaningless in any real terms. Bit like those "what personality type are you" quizzes, or horoscopes.

Silent Generation are the children that grew up during WW2, and they are called "silent" because they grew up, got married, got a job, and were model citizens. They didn't rebel too much, other than a few sock hops.

Perhaps the most fortunate generation due to being a relatively small cohort, and coming of age during the post-war boom with plenty of jobs, benefiting from a lot of new social programs being developed mid-century, and having the boomers drive up the value of their real estate and stock holdings.

Their children, the late boomers and Gen X, of course, were bitter disappointments in comparison.

I remember metal oil cans, I still have the nozzle thing for it. You put it on the can somehow, I forget

I've noticed that regardless of the generation, people's musical tastes fossilize by their late teens. I'm very experiential, so I seek out the new for me. As a boomer, at my age I should be getting more conservative: na gonna happen. I used to work with younger people and enjoyed it immensely, especially when working in Costa Rica they would take me out to teach me Salsa. I had a couple stay with me when I lived in Chicago and we went to Lollapalooza.

I've noticed that regardless of the generation, people's musical tastes fossilize by their late teens.
My playlist is mostly '70s & '80s P&W and CCM, but I also have songs from every decade in the 20th century, except '10s & '20s. I have some turn-of-the-millennium music, too.

Last edited:
I remember metal oil cans, I still have the nozzle thing for it. You put it on the can somehow, I forget
You are probably referring to the quart cans.
They required using a piercing spout like these:
il_fullxfull.743062942_5veb.jpg

They often leaked where they entered the can because the seal was insufficient.

I found this to add to my collection of automobilia:
20200817_065712.jpg

This pierced the can inside of the funnel to prevent spilling the oil all over the engine.
The can I was referring to looked like this one:
p-9073-sunoco198.jpg

I only remember the quart cans, we never had the big ones. Do you think that stuff is worth money? Like the spout and the quart can( I think I still have a full one)

I only remember the quart cans, we never had the big ones. Do you think that stuff is worth money? Like the spout and the quart can( I think I still have a full one)
The spouts can be had for $5 or less, so other than a curio, they aren't worth much.
The quarts of oil depend on if they are cardboard with steel ends or all steel cans and the specific types of oil that are in them.
Older generally bring more money due to how rare they can be.

Like anything collectable, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

My playlist is mostly '70s & '80s P&W and CCM, but I also have songs from every decade in the 20th century. except '10s & '20s. I have some turn-of-the-millennium music, too.
1920s? I don't have anything original, but enjoy The Pasadena Roof Orchestra and like the compositions of the time it sounds like they incorporate a 4 string tenor banjo for rythm. It's fun music.

I have a 1970s unopened gallon of Prestone antifreeze that is in the first generation plastic jug it was sold in after they quit packaging it in steel cans.

Gen X here :).
I was 8-yrs-old the first time I printed something, and it was in one of these...
Have you guys realized (Gen X and prior generations) that THIS IS THE FUTURE! (world pandemic, reaching Mars and all..) :eek:
14BE7AD4-FA3F-4357-81EE-8DDF9DBEC8A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Oy vey...

Had I known 50 years ago that I was on the spectrum, and 45 years ago that my professional life would be one disaster after another, I would have never gone to college to earn essentially 2 worthless degrees, let alone finish high school, ESPECIALLY since everyone and their brother considered me (and still consider me) to be a dummkopf!

I was born in 1985. I spent a lot of time with my sister who is seven years older than me and I skipped several grades in school, so a lot of my formative cultural experiences were closer to Gen-X than Gen-Y, despite my age. Among the good things from my childhood that I remember were an Apple II C computer that we had until I was 10, a nintendo, listening to music like the Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedies, Nine Inch Nails, and The Cure, punk hair styles and their colorful clothes, cute goth boys and girls, cootie catchers, and Saturday morning cartoons.

...I would have never gone to college to earn essentially 2 worthless degrees, let alone finish high school,...
I still like learning, but I would have lowered my expectations. I no longer have any interest in formal education for skills that I will never get to use anywhere, but every one of my special interests have a learning component.

New Threads

Top Bottom