• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which animals have you been chased by?

forgot, I used to have to run away from a dog we had. My dad would make us give him a ride in the basket on our bicycles. But when we were done if we tried to take the dog out of the basket he'd rip us to shreds, so we'd have to set the basket on the ground and run. I've never cared much for Pomeranians since then.

When I was seven we just got a new dog named Pinky and she decided to chase me while I was riding my bike around the driveway. Then I stopped and she bit my back. My mom and I were very unhappy with her as we fussed at her. That was the only time I remember being chased by an animal.

Roosters, squirrels, dogs, cattle, hogs, a moose while skiing in Utah, and dive-bombing house wrens that try to nest in hanging ferns on my front porch. One of my donkeys lowered her head, laid back her ears and tried to chase me out of the pasture the other day. I just kicked her, exactly like the donkeys kick each other. She was shocked, LOL, and then tried to love on me as an apology, I guess.

Yeah, I was on foot for those and I was in a car when the rhino chased me, so I got to speed off.

Glad you didn't have to explain it to a body shop and insurance company. :p

You: "So is this gonna take a lot of bondo to fix?"
Body shop worker: "No, Ma'am. Just a little rhinoplasty is required."

Bees, Terns, various Dogs and once a pack of feral dogs which I anti-proverbially did not let lie when I stumbled upon them taking their noon day nap.

The geese are coming out on top.
Hssss!
529B89FA-D0D1-4F8A-9DE1-A2932D4259BC.jpeg

On the golf course, in the spring, if you get to close to any tree, the birds will chase you off. They do not want you anywhere near their nest.

When I was a kid, I came across a large, fresh hole in the ground. While I was looking at it, a badger came out and chased me for about thirty feet. Then he went back in his hole. I guess he just wanted me to know that it was his hole.

The Chihuahuas chase me and each other all over the yard. I can not keep up with them.

Just dogs. Now I'm terrified of them! :eek:

I was too when young. Was bit several times. But at some point I thought 'This is ridiculous. How can I (about 130 pounds) flee in terror from a 5 pound Pekingese?' I had met nice dogs but also mean ones. So I decided to learn about dogs and the psychology. One article I read at the time said they can sense your emotion, and will react aggressively to fear. One way around that was to think 'I'm mad. I'm really mad at this dog' and psych yourself up so you emote and probably smell like anger.

Armed with this new technique the next time I passed a certain house, the Pekingese came out from the backyard barking hysterically as usual. But this time I stood my ground and calling up anger gave out a primal scream-like yell. The poor little dog stopped in it tracks and ran behind the house as fast as it could.

Since then I have become the opposite. A dog lover. I have 4. But have learned a lot more and better methods of dealing with dogs. That anger thing is fine for scaring off an annoying tiny pup but can get you in serious trouble with anything bigger. You don't want to emote fear, that is true, but what's best is to emote calmness and simply that you are not a threat. I go a step further and try and emote love. I am not sure the love thing works, but I do get along very well with most all dogs, even so called difficult ones. But you also have to respect them and not pet or snuggle until you have gotten clear approval from the owners and the dogs themselves. They can have personnal space issues too. Some will jump on you and want love and affection. Others will remain aloof and take time to get to know you.

Sorry for length. Mainly wanted to share it is not a situation you are trapped in. It can be overcome.

I was too when young. Was bit several times. But at some point I thought 'This is ridiculous. How can I (about 130 pounds) flee in terror from a 5 pound Pekingese?' I had met nice dogs but also mean ones. So I decided to learn about dogs and the psychology. One article I read at the time said they can sense your emotion, and will react aggressively to fear. One way around that was to think 'I'm mad. I'm really mad at this dog' and psych yourself up so you emote and probably smell like anger.

Armed with this new technique the next time I passed a certain house, the Pekingese came out from the backyard barking hysterically as usual. But this time I stood my ground and calling up anger gave out a primal scream-like yell. The poor little dog stopped in it tracks and ran behind the house as fast as it could.

Since then I have become the opposite. A dog lover. I have 4. But have learned a lot more and better methods of dealing with dogs. That anger thing is fine for scaring off an annoying tiny pup but can get you in serious trouble with anything bigger. You don't want to emote fear, that is true, but what's best is to emote calmness and simply that you are not a threat. I go a step further and try and emote love. I am not sure the love thing works, but I do get along very well with most all dogs, even so called difficult ones. But you also have to respect them and not pet or snuggle until you have gotten clear approval from the owners and the dogs themselves. They can have personnal space issues too. Some will jump on you and want love and affection. Others will remain aloof and take time to get to know you.

Sorry for length. Mainly wanted to share it is not a situation you are trapped in. It can be overcome.
I always say "good boy!" or "good girl!" in my nicest voice to dogs when they are barking, it seems to work pretty well.

Only my cat, he loves to attack ankles and seems to most like to do it to me. My feet pretty much always have cat scratches on them now. Can't remember ever being chased by anything else.

The bull was massive, so he was the scariest. I remember running up the field and wondering how close behind he was, then flinging myself over the fence. My sister was there too, we ran faster in those days...

A bull chased me and my best friend when we were kids and he did the right thing. We were bothering his cows, harassing them for fun. We were wrong and it was fair for him to come after us. We were rude to the cows and felt so confident when they ran, then the bull came and chased us and we were instant cowards. I am still embarrassed we behaved badly. It was a lesson.

The fact the they can sense fear makes me more afraid, because that sounds like a power a demon would have. How creepy is it to know you're afraid and prey on that? I guess humans do that too, though.

Anyway, what you did sounds like a difficult thing to do! But I'll keep it in mind. There's a little dog that always barks as I pass their house because they leave the door open so there's just a screen and sometimes even that is open and the dog runs out and I just run. Maybe I can practice what you're saying! Thank you!

The fact the they can sense fear makes me more afraid, because that sounds like a power a demon would have. How creepy is it to know you're afraid and prey on that? I guess humans do that too, though.

Anyway, what you did sounds like a difficult thing to do! But I'll keep it in mind. There's a little dog that always barks as I pass their house because they leave the door open so there's just a screen and sometimes even that is open and the dog runs out and I just run. Maybe I can practice what you're saying! Thank you!

There is nothing demonic about them. Unless a keen ability to smell even tiny chemical traces is devilry. :D Dogs are just a very domesticated sub species of wolves. Pack animals whose nature is similar to human family groups and made us blend very easily. The strongest desire of nearly all of them is just to be accepted and secure. Aggressive, fearful, strange behavior can confuse or frighten them. They have in their instinct then to protect themselves, pack and territory. But they have been bred for many thousands of years (sometime between c. 15,000 - 40,000 years, the oldest domesticated animals) to get along with and work with people. Calm gentle demeanor will win them over nearly all the time and they will be quite happy to have this big lumbering fellow a friend and not a foe. They want to examine and smell you as their sense of smell is so good they can read you like a book. They will smell all the locations you have been to recently, what meals you ate, what other animals you were in contact with.. Learning how to mask with people led me to learn how to mask and blend in with dogs. We have a special responsibility I think with domesticated animals. Having bred out what they need to a large extent to survive on their own, they depend on us. And for very simple life long loving and loyal companions dogs as a species are difficult to beat.

New Threads

Top Bottom