• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

where do your eyes go?

Pats

V.I.P Member
I know - on your face, above the nose. lol But what do you look at as your walking or driving? I realized I always look at the same things as I'm driving. If something seems to stand out, that's what gets my focus. But when I used to drive to work every day - the same route - my eyes went to the same things. The tree branch that stands out from the other trees on the right. The red door on the building to the left. The small group of trees in the field to the left. That big boulder in this yard on my right. I noticed this years ago and it drove me crazy, so I would deliberately try to look the opposite directions and would feel lost and it was like I didn't know what to look at.

When I'm walking I'm going to look at the crack in the sidewalk, the candy wrapper in the ditch, the gum on the tire of the parked car. If I try to just look straight it's too 'constantly changing'. I think I need to look at those single items.

Anyone else notice this with themselves? @Fino ? :)

I don't drive. I'm terrified. I know how to drive, but I refuse to ever get a license. My husband does all the driving. I take Lyft cars everywhere.

I don't know how I'd feel about driving if I do not live in New York City, which is one of the worst cities to drive in.

When I'm walking, I look at the ground. If I have to actually look for a place (for instance if I am going somewhere for the first time and I need to look at the address on the building or street names), then that's all I'll be looking at. Of course, I have to be safe, so I look for any vehicles before crossing the street (This doesn't totally guarantee safety; I took all necessary precautions and I even had the "Walk" sign but I still got hit by a car in October 2016). I look at dogs 'cause dogs are fun. And shop displays that involve food.

But almost always, I'm looking at the ground.

When I'm driving, I always tend to look at the same things, or just keep my eyes on the road and other cars. The rare times I'm a passenger, I see things that I haven't seen for years or decades on the same routes.

It takes a lot of effort and concentration to find my way around when it's busy, and I sometimes get turned around, therefore I avoid city driving whenever possible. But in a sparse area where I can be relaxed, it's very hard to get me lost, I can create a map of the area in my head.

When walking, I look at everything. Up, down, sides. People have said it looks "shifty-eyed" and suspcious. I think of it as being aware of my surroundings. I also have a problem hitting myself on things unless I gauge the distance well, and sometimes I still do. But when someone is approaching, I usually look down. I don't want them to think I'm staring at them or scoping them out.

I don't drive, but when I'm on the bus, yeah I look at the same things every time. It's reassuring or something.

When not in a moving vehicle I've come to realize that I mostly look away from things, away from bright lights, often at the floor. Same when walking.

Except when I'm out in nature, I think I look around then.

HAHA! YES!!

And when it somehow happens that I look somewhere else, a place I've gone past for a decade or more "suddenly" has a thing that's always been there, and if I mention it to someone they're in shock.

For the thousandth time, thank you for sharing! It's so helpful to know I'm not alone in any of the odd details of my being! :D

In our younger days, when my wife and I were out & about, she would tell me to get my eyes back in my head. So I would look around for whatever it was that I was not supposed see. It wasn't always a pretty girl that she was talking about, sometimes it was a really nice machine of some kind. Those were the days.

I'm very visual due to my photography... But I think I was even before I picked up a camera

I have a tendency to spot, look for even subtle things within a scene in front of me, whether or not I have a camera with me, but I'm always visually analyzing the world around me...

Well, when I'm talking to someone, my eyes go to this little spot on their forehead right above the eyes, kinda on the temple

I'm almost always looking at the ground some, that way I don't step on/in something, but other times I look straight ahead like a normal person :p

I look at the ground a lot when walking, but, have a large peripheral vision and many things catch my eye.
When driving I just see everything and still can drive safely.
When the guy I live with is in the car and I mention seeing a sign, an animal, a tree, what ever, he
always says he didn't see it. And how can I keep my attention on the road yet see all these things?
When he drives and I see something I may mention about, he always says he can't see anything I do
because he has to keep his eyes on the road only.
He usually gets annoyed because I take in a wide array when driving and he can't. :D

I don't know if this makes a difference, but, my Opthalmologist says my optic nerve is about %25
larger than than normal. Very rare, but, some people do have that.

Previously When driving, 360 degree obs' around my vehicle (using mirrors and such)
Lots of things can catch my attention, I can scan and assess those much faster than I can anything else.
I suspect the speed at which things happen and my travel (some of the forces involved and likely consequence) factors in to how focused I am.

I want to collect as much information as I can as I'm not the only vehicle on the road, all others drive like monkeys and it affects my trajectory.

On my own two feet and wandering around,
I'm looking at the floor if I want to blank out the activity around me, you know,
On the days I haven't got the head space to filter it,

Otherwise I try to make the effort to observe as much as I can.

I look at the ground a lot when walking, but, have a large peripheral vision and many things catch my eye.
When driving I just see everything and still can drive safely.
When the guy I live with is in the car and I mention seeing a sign, an animal, a tree, what ever, he
always says he didn't see it. And how can I keep my attention on the road yet see all these things?
When he drives and I see something I may mention about, he always says he can't see anything I do
because he has to keep his eyes on the road only.
He usually gets annoyed because I take in a wide array when driving and he can't. :D

I don't know if this makes a difference, but, my Opthalmologist says my optic nerve is about %25
larger than than normal. Very rare, but, some people do have that.
Yes. I've often been asked "how are you the one seeing these things? You're supposed to be driving." lol

Previously When driving, 360 degree obs' around my vehicle (using mirrors and such)
Lots of things can catch my attention, I can scan and assess those much faster than I can anything else.
I suspect the speed at which things happen and my travel (some of the forces involved and likely consequence) factors in to how focused I am.

I want to collect as much information as I can as I'm not the only vehicle on the road, all others drive like monkeys and it affects my trajectory.

On my own two feet and wandering around,
I'm looking at the floor if I want to blank out the activity around me, you know,
On the days I haven't got the head space to filter it,

Otherwise I try to make the effort to observe as much as I can.
I also constantly scan other traffic. If I see brake lights three cars in front of me I start slowing down and it drives me crazy when other people don't even start slowing down when it's the car in front of them. :weary::confounded:

I know - on your face, above the nose. @Fino ? :)

I prefer to identify as facially diverse.
1_59de034e0761d11cd91d4933d915f215.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom