• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When i feel everything

D'Andre

Sometimes I get so sensitive, I can feel every word, every mouth movement, every eye movement, my body, my thoughts. It makes it extremely hard to speak because it feels loud and pressured. Is that part of selective mutism? Because during these times its when I'd rather not speak or hardly move. Feels like an audience is watching my every move. It would be interesting to know if anybody relates so I'm not alone hehe

That's a nice time to go inside, close all the curtains, and lie in bed, in a dark room with the blankets pulled up, thinking nothing.

Regardless of what yours is tied to, I think you just described my version of social anxiety. Although mine might have a different root than yours, I've been known to actually become mute during these times.

Stress, in whatever what form it manifests, definitely sucks. There are a few exceptions, but mostly it sucks.

Regardless of what yours is tied to, I think you just described my version of social anxiety. Although mine might have a different root than yours, I've been known to actually become mute during these times.

Stress, in whatever what form it manifests, definitely sucks. There are a few exceptions, but mostly it sucks.
So true. I need a new job too because even though I love my job, its full of passing people who either look at you or pretend not to see you. Its extremely difficult seeing then from far off and knowing that awkward moment is coming. I just take my glasses off and pull my mask as high as possible. I wish I could use a spiderman mask lol

ok so i'm revisiting this. I'm here again and want some feedback while its fresh. My mouth feels "off" so talking is excruciatingly uncomfortable. ex: saying "me" feels like i'm swallowing the back of my tongue...."time" my lips and jaw feel so weird....."that" feels like "ggggthaaawwwt". i can't describe it. i'm wondering if i need a speech therapist. but when i talk with no mouth or tone movements (which i assume is mono) it's much more tolerable. totally not talking is preferred when this happens. is this psychological or is it a real physical discomfort, i wonder?

When I become overwhelmed, I will hide away in my room and just try to recover...I will rarely utter a word during that time.
If I'm overwhelmed I'll often go and sit in a dark room in silence. If it's after an emotional encounter with somebody I'll inevitably be tracked down eventually and greeted with the question "why are you sitting in the dark?" as if I'm some sort of weirdo. Maybe I am :D

If I'm overwhelmed I'll often go and sit in a dark room in silence. If it's after an emotional encounter with somebody I'll inevitably be tracked down eventually and greeted with the question "why are you sitting in the dark?" as if I'm some sort of weirdo. Maybe I am :D
Welome to the Weirdo Realm, I'll be your guide for the forseeable future. :D ;)

Sometimes I get so sensitive, I can feel every word, every mouth movement, every eye movement, my body, my thoughts. It makes it extremely hard to speak because it feels loud and pressured. Is that part of selective mutism? Because during these times its when I'd rather not speak or hardly move. Feels like an audience is watching my every move. It would be interesting to know if anybody relates so I'm not alone hehe

I have selective mutism and it is not like that for me. I just lose the ability to speak. It is an anxiety reaction. Once I relax I can start talking again. If I am really stressed and shut down I cannot speak for a while even once I am home and alone again.

I have selective mutism and it is not like that for me. I just lose the ability to speak. It is an anxiety reaction. Once I relax I can start talking again. If I am really stressed and shut down I cannot speak for a while even once I am home and alone again.
ok that helps me understand. thank you for sharing that.

i'm going to try that. when i'm overwhelmed or over stimulated, a dark room with no sound just feels like a reset and nothing is being "entertained" it's just stillness. but i'm usually melting down stressing. so....next time i'll just work my way to silent and calm.

I just pieced something together...when i'm in one of those times above mentioned, i often pray. While i believe in prayer, when im in that place, using my mouth at all is (all i can think of is) excruciating in a discomfort sort of way. if i pray in monotone with very little mouth movement, it's "easier", but perhaps wordless meditation in a still calm place would work better. I mean for years i've struggled with this and now i think i'm understanding why.

New Threads

Top Bottom