• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your slightly impressive skill/talent/ability?

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
Sometimes there are small tricks or skills you can do/have that don't tend to come in handy all that much, but are still somewhat interesting. Well, this is a thread for such things.

Personally, I would say that mine is the fact that I'm quite good at slider puzzles. The ones made out of squares which you have to rearrange by sliding up/down and left/right in order to get them in the right order to complete a picture.

Unfortunately, this means that they don't tend to keep me entertained for long. My sister was stuck with one once, so in frustration she gave up and reset it before handing it to me. Apparently she'd been trying for just under half an hour with this puzzle. She said that it'd probably take me ages. With a smile, I accepted that challenge. I quickly completed it and handed it back to her. Then she gave me the silent treatment for a while. :D

I'm not very good at puzzles... probably the only thing people are slightly impressed by is my drawing skill.
The other is that I'm decent at arts and crafts hobbies - most of them I'm automatically intermediate at, even if I'd never done it before.

I like those kind of puzzles, but on average terrible with puzzles.

Recently, I was told that I am clever and this is because, I can go from nothing nothing about a subject and as little as 10 minutes later, know all there is to the subject.

I am dreadful with math, but to be honest, a wiz with finances.

I am not a traditional artist, but I do cross stitching that looks like a painting from far away.

Very good with psychology.

These:

UOTdnrh.jpg

A normal Rubik's Cube provides zero challenge at this point.

Chess. The trick is to know your first four or five moves, be aggressive and do not have to be defensive for more than a move or two.

'The Infinite Monkey Theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.'

If there was a race to see what would happen first, a monkey write Hamlet or me solve a Rubik's cube, I would bet on the monkey.

Holding off meltdowns.
I remembered a particular night at work. We were very understaffed - 17 patients and 2 RN's. No unit secretary, no nursing assistants, no one but me and my friend. I tried to tell them they couldn't do that, but they said the secretary upstairs would come down if we needed her. Still not a good situation and I was the only one that could see that. For one, this friend of mine was kind of spacey and I always had to help her with her work, so I basically was feeling like I'd be taking care of all 17 patients.

One of my patients was going bad, so we called the doctor on call (a young intern). This intern was like, we can handle this and would not let us call a code - but we did have the code cart in the room and using it. He's barking off orders and he's wanting us to start a nitroglycerin drip and my friend tells him we can't do that on this floor and he yells that he'll find something we can do. I'm trying to get another iv started and keeping up with vital signs and he says to give her this iv blood pressure med and I say, her blood pressure is fine - it's her breathing, her oxygen level that's supposed to be in the 90's, was now in the 50's and still dropping. As my friend goes to open the glass vial with the medication she cuts her hand and her glove immediately fills up with blood. She says she has to go to the er and I'm looking at her like 'please don't leave me' - if it were me I'd have wrapped up my hand real tight and hung in there, at least until we could get more help. So now, there I am with 17 patients left in my care and a patient trying to die and this doctor still barking orders and she's gone. I'm literally crying as I'm carrying out orders - keeping up with vital signs, drawing labs and getting them sent off, giving meds and oxygen and doing the work of an entire code team. The only thing I was not doing yet was cpr and shocks. When the doctor seen my tears he did let up and got a little nicer. Luckily the night supervisor seen my friend in the er and was told about the situation so she came, called the code and got help from other floors. But for 2 hours I was alone. I wanted to go off and have a meltdown, but my patient would have died.

My friend had emergency surgery on her hand. The patient did survive. I finished my shift - mostly trying to chart everything on the computer that I had done and filling out all the papers you have to fill out for a code. Needless to say they understood when I said I would not be in to work that night as I was leaving that morning. When I got home though, I totally crashed (not sleep, total meltdown - staring into space with no movement for hours). And knowing all the other nurses I worked with, I can say none of them could have done what I did that night and I know that. And I think the reason I was able to is because the autism.

Can I use that?

I can cook food better than most people, like to experiment with published recipes and create my own recipes. Friends and family ask me to make food for them all the time. It relaxes me to be busy in the kitchen, using good ingredients to make something delicious and special.

Holding off meltdowns.
I remembered a particular night at work. We were very understaffed - 17 patients and 2 RN's. No unit secretary, no nursing assistants, no one but me and my friend. I tried to tell them they couldn't do that, but they said the secretary upstairs would come down if we needed her. Still not a good situation and I was the only one that could see that. For one, this friend of mine was kind of spacey and I always had to help her with her work, so I basically was feeling like I'd be taking care of all 17 patients.

One of my patients was going bad, so we called the doctor on call (a young intern). This intern was like, we can handle this and would not let us call a code - but we did have the code cart in the room and using it. He's barking off orders and he's wanting us to start a nitroglycerin drip and my friend tells him we can't do that on this floor and he yells that he'll find something we can do. I'm trying to get another iv started and keeping up with vital signs and he says to give her this iv blood pressure med and I say, her blood pressure is fine - it's her breathing, her oxygen level that's supposed to be in the 90's, was now in the 50's and still dropping. As my friend goes to open the glass vial with the medication she cuts her hand and her glove immediately fills up with blood. She says she has to go to the er and I'm looking at her like 'please don't leave me' - if it were me I'd have wrapped up my hand real tight and hung in there, at least until we could get more help. So now, there I am with 17 patients left in my care and a patient trying to die and this doctor still barking orders and she's gone. I'm literally crying as I'm carrying out orders - keeping up with vital signs, drawing labs and getting them sent off, giving meds and oxygen and doing the work of an entire code team. The only thing I was not doing yet was cpr and shocks. When the doctor seen my tears he did let up and got a little nicer. Luckily the night supervisor seen my friend in the er and was told about the situation so she came, called the code and got help from other floors. But for 2 hours I was alone. I wanted to go off and have a meltdown, but my patient would have died.

My friend had emergency surgery on her hand. The patient did survive. I finished my shift - mostly trying to chart everything on the computer that I had done and filling out all the papers you have to fill out for a code. Needless to say they understood when I said I would not be in to work that night as I was leaving that morning. When I got home though, I totally crashed (not sleep, total meltdown - staring into space with no movement for hours). And knowing all the other nurses I worked with, I can say none of them could have done what I did that night and I know that. And I think the reason I was able to is because the autism.

Can I use that?

Contrary to the stereotype of autistics losing their grip in stressful circumstances, I often found that sometimes I was practically the only one in a batch of NTs that kept their head and could function well. A part of my brain could remain aloof of the emotion and still think clearly and I could act while everyone else is 'aahhhh we are going to die!'

But yes, afterwards my detox/recharge is different. While the others are like 'lets go drink it off! I will find somewhere private to let my brain do it's weird spaghetti dance until it finds equilibrium again.

I can make my eyes go in two different directions. I have congenital Brown's syndrome, which basically means one eye won't go up more than about halfway. It's really just a neat "Hey, look what I can do!" kind of thing.

'The Infinite Monkey Theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.'

If there was a race to see what would happen first, a monkey write Hamlet or me solve a Rubik's cube, I would bet on the monkey.

Used to have pretty much the same view on it myself. The things looked utterly impossible. And then I found out that they weren't.

It truly is not nearly as hard as it looks.

Besides writing poetry, I'm very good at shopping, like finding super good bargains. Too bad my addictive personality makes shopping not only fun but dangerous . Also good at putting together accessories well, like funky sneakers that match my funky artsy jewelry, which perfectly goes with my clothes. None of these 3 "talents" pays the bills in any way.

I can picture a word or number in my head as easily as if it were written on paper. I can read off the letters or numbers forwards, backwards, from the middle out or outside in. I can picture passages of text that I've read recently well enough to read it back verbatim.

I seem to be able to see the ways to game any system, whether I want to or not.

New Threads

Top Bottom