• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your favourite piece of non-entertainment software?

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
No games, or entertainment software - anything else goes.

Mine;

The first piece of software I really loved was Lotus Notes/Domino. It had it's flaws, but was really great to use and built with vision and love. Unlike the M$ alternatives which were stolen, and crap, but very aggressively marketed. Then IBM bought it, the world turned blue and it was ruined.

Wordpress. I use this a lot, and it kind of reminds me of Lotus Notes. It's so well constructed around principles of simplicity and extensibility.

Does MS Paint count, even though I enjoy using it? Because I'll be honest, while I've done a lot of useful work in Paint, I've definitely drawn a lot of inappropriate things just for laughs.

Oh no - I forgot my favourite OS.

Opensuse with Gnome - I never thought I could truly love an OS, until I moved to this. Opensuse is so well made, stable and clever, and Gnome is simple, streamlined fast to use and the most beautiful OS desktop ever made.

I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Does MS Paint count, even though I enjoy using it? Because I'll be honest, while I've done a lot of useful work in Paint, I've definitely drawn a lot of inappropriate things just for laughs.

Yep, counts.

By entertainment, I was meaning Netflix, iTunes that kind of thing.

Oh no - I forgot my favourite OS.

Opensuse with Gnome - I never thought I could truly love an OS, until I moved to this. Opensuse is so well made, stable and clever, and Gnome is simple, streamlined fast to use and the most beautiful OS desktop ever made.

I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Sounds great- can I put this on my computer before getting rid of Windows 10? I did find a website that says how to do it but am a bit intimidated. I'm no fan of Windows 10.

Sounds great- can I put this on my computer before getting rid of Windows 10? I did find a website that says how to do it but am a bit intimidated. I'm no fan of Windows 10.

You can dual boot it by installing parallel to Windows, or run as a virtual machine if you know how.

Some Linux distros come with a live cd so you can boot from cd and see if you like it. I think opensuse dropped that.

Fedora is supposed to be very similar. If your coming from Windows the right desktop is probably most important.

KDE or Gnome are my favourites. KDE is most like windows, but Gnome is amazing. Almost simple like android, but very fast to do anything.

A spare pc install would be best. I tried quite a few distros before finding one I liked.

My current machine is opensuse tumbleweed with Gnome.

On a PC, Excel. I do tons of both work and fun stuff in Excel.

Ony phone, the Wolfram Alpha app. It beats any calculator app I've seen. The one drawback is that it goes to a server to do the math, so it doesn't work if there are connection problems.

CorelDraw 6 suite, a vector based software, that I used on my 32 bit home system originally. Still like it, but it's so slow at rendering, it's still installed on an old system.

Atom, an open-source text- and source code editor.
Carestream, image processing software used in radiology.

CorelDraw 6 suite, a vector based software, that I used on my 32 bit home system originally. Still like it, but it's so slow at rendering, it's still installed on an old system.

I still run Corel Draw 3.0 on my legacy (Windows XP) system. Still my favorite vector graphics program though I also have Illustrator 8.0 and Inkscape as well.

Microsoft Word 10, because it has the 'track changes' feature, which is useful for work. I know it has its critics, but it does its job just fine for me.

Last edited:
No games, or entertainment software - anything else goes.

Mine;

The first piece of software I really loved was Lotus Notes/Domino. It had it's flaws, but was really great to use and built with vision and love. Unlike the M$ alternatives which were stolen, and crap, but very aggressively marketed. Then IBM bought it, the world turned blue and it was ruined.

Wordpress. I use this a lot, and it kind of reminds me of Lotus Notes. It's so well constructed around principles of simplicity and extensibility.
save pdf to ibooks app its so fast to change text to pdf

Paint Shop Pro 6, I used to love it, couldn't get on with versions 7 or above.

Adobe After Effects, learned to use it on my Digital Arts course.

Apple IMovie, as above.

Adobe Photoshop, kind of learned how to use it on my course.

Unity, for making games, kind of learning coding at the moment on my course.

Last edited:
You can dual boot it by installing parallel to Windows, or run as a virtual machine if you know how.

Some Linux distros come with a live cd so you can boot from cd and see if you like it. I think opensuse dropped that.

Fedora is supposed to be very similar. If your coming from Windows the right desktop is probably most important.

KDE or Gnome are my favourites. KDE is most like windows, but Gnome is amazing. Almost simple like android, but very fast to do anything.

A spare pc install would be best. I tried quite a few distros before finding one I liked.

My current machine is opensuse tumbleweed with Gnome.

I love reading/learning about LINUX, I need to put my computers back together again so that I can formally install lol. I just love looking at a deconstructed computer more. :)

This is going to sound lame, but I really like "Notes" for iPhone. It's just so helpful to have a catalogue of lists on my person at all times.

I love reading/learning about LINUX, I need to put my computers back together again so that I can formally install lol. I just love looking at a deconstructed computer more. :)

I once built a computer without a case. It was just components connected togther and scattered on a desk with hard disks taped together.

New Threads

Top Bottom