• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's something cool from the U.S. that's hard to get in Europe?

Lysholm

Negative Nancy
I'm in the U.S. and I'm trying to brainstorm a gift for someone in Central Europe. What's something neat I can mail them from the States?

The relationship is professional and the budget is around $100 before postage. Also, please warn me about VAT.

BUT I'm always interested in random facts, so all answers are welcome.

Mind blown. I have pounds of this stuff.

Are there jams over there?

-

@Judge Thanks! I never considered this was a thing.
You might want to pass on jam. Major exporters of jam tend to be in Western Europe, India and Turkey.

Last edited:
But do they have Smuckers?
LOL. The American in me would ask just that. My only brand of jam. Accept no substitutes.

But in Europe that may prove to be a hard sell. Kind of like trying to hawk Kraft cheese or Hershey's chocolate in Switzerland. ;)

Last edited:
LOL. The American in me would ask just that. My only brand of jam. Accept no substitutes.
American jams are exceptional. LOLOLZ

But, yeah, the brand is the novelty. Overprocessed American foods would probably taste like crap to their palette. Good call not to send.

In my limited experience travelling in Europe, many larger grocers carry marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, and pop tarts in their American food section.

Oreos are relatively hard to find - I had a friend in Spain who used to ask for them for Christmas.

You may find this collection of photos of various "American food" sections in different grocers across Europe to be helpful in finding what may be accessible there.

I've found that Europeans are often very interested in the American West - majestic landscapes, mythological cowboys and Indians culture, etc. - that are unique to this country. Consider sending a "coffee table book" of beautiful photographs taken in the US.

Maybe a bottle of Kentucky bourbon with cheese? :) I'm just kidding, it's a running joke here that Americans put cheese on everything.
No joke considering European tariffs and taxes on American alcoholic beverages. I'd pass... :(

I've found that Europeans are often very interested in the American West - majestic landscapes, mythological cowboys and Indians culture, etc. - that are unique to this country. Consider sending a "coffee table book" of beautiful photographs taken in the US.

That's true, it's very interesting.

Does if have to be food? How about some local art or wood carving or something like that? I have a picture (not photo) of the Northern Lights above a forest from Canada and I really like it. Something like that makes a good gift. Also, perhaps the person collects things? If so, send something for their collection.

How about some local art or wood carving or something like that? I have a picture (not photo) of the Northern Lights above a forest from Canada and I really like it. Something like that makes a good gift. Also, perhaps the person collects things? If so, send something for their collection.
True, as long as something is physically and culturally "genuine".

I'm reminded of the lovely wooden hand-carved plates my mother brought back from Switzerland in the early 80s. Except they weren't wooden, or hand carved. Simply a resin-cast plate made with a very sophisticated injection die. Then painted cleverly to look like hand-carved wood. Not cool.

And yes, she also brought back a small cuckoo clock that seemed like it was made in China.

Of course I never told my mother...it would have broken her heart.

How about some local art or wood carving or something like that?
That's the sort of suggestion I would make, something cultural. It would pay to check on customs rules and regulations though, I don't think Europe is very strict in general but some countries have very strict rules on what can and can't be brought in to the country.

In my country timber and plant products need to go through quarantine and many food products are completely banned due to bio-security concerns.

New Threads

Top Bottom