• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's Korean food like?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Been invited to a local Korean Restaurant by some friends (Yep, I do actually have some!), but I've never had Korean food or even know what kind of thing it consists of.

If it's anything like Chinese food it'll be Rice products, Noodles and stuff, am I on the right track?

Help!

So it's a bit like Japanese then? Fish products and Vegetable based stuff?

Truth is I'm partial only to a handful of Asian delicacies. Japanese tempura shellfish and vegetables. Miso soup too. Chinese fried rice with beef, wontons and Mongolian beef. Things like kimchi (Korean fermented cabbage) would have me running. I used to work with a guy whose Japanese wife loved kimchi. He didn't. :p

It's subjective, but perhaps not a stretch that if you enjoy Japanese or Chinese food in general, that you may well like Korean cuisine as well. Much like in my case, it may simply come down to individual dishes served.

Last edited:
I'd be asking if they served hamburgers there. :) I'm not sure I could get myself to try it.

I'd be asking if they served hamburgers there. :) I'm not sure I could get myself to try it.

I hear ya. With my reflux issues, the last time I attempted to eat Chinese food I nearly died. Though even a greasy hamburger can potentially give me fits. :eek:

But I still love a good burger, even if they don't love me. ;)

That said, food is so subjective though. He might love it or hate it. Hard to really say. :confused:

Last edited:
Been invited to a local Korean Restaurant by some friends (Yep, I do actually have some!), but I've never had Korean food or even know what kind of thing it consists of.

If it's anything like Chinese food it'll be Rice products, Noodles and stuff, am I on the right track?

Help!
Yes, or maybe more Japanese, but spicey.

That sounds fun. Here in the mountains of Wales, I have to make my own. Kimchi is nice too.It's sort of like sauerkraut but with red chilis in.

I've never been to Asia, but were I to go would plan my trip so as to be able to have every meal at an American Fast Food place. I would say the route must never stray more then 20 Kilometers from one. They do have Mickey Ds in Korea. But anyway I would guess it to be about halfway between Chinese and Japanese Food. ;p

zzmcd.jpg

I've never been to Asia, but were I to go would plan my trip so as to be able to have every meal at an American Fast Food place. I would say the route must never stray more then 20 Kilometers from one. They do have Mickey Ds in Korea. But anyway I would guess it to be about halfway between Chinese and Japanese Food. ;p

View attachment 46812

If you are interested in eating at the Korean restaurant in your neighborhood, get a menu (photo if necessary) and research the recipes for named dishes on the Internet. That might give you some insight into any unforeseen surprises that would upset you. Korean food tends to be full of garlic and spice, but there are exceptions. The easiest dish to eat if you are unfamiliar with Korean food is a dish called Bibim Bap (check my spelling). It's mixed vegetables, meat, egg, and a tasty sauce. I think you can regulate the spicy influence. Ask the server. Like Judge said - if you like Asian cuisine in general, the tastes in Korean food will be familiar. Korean BBQ is famous for being one of the most popular foods to eat in a Korean restaurant. I tend to love Kimchi as a side dish. But, you have to love wilted cabbage, garlic, and loads of red pepper spice. For some, Kimchi is an acquired taste. Have fun out with your friends.

Ok. Seems like you're sorted. But I don't understand. I would only want to put up with the trauma of travelling if I could experience some of the local's way of life. Food is one way of sampling that. But to be honest, I can't really travel as it would be too overwhelming. So, I kind of envy you.

If you are interested in eating at the Korean restaurant in your neighborhood, get a menu (photo if necessary) and research the recipes for named dishes on the Internet. That might give you some insight into any unforeseen surprises that would upset you. Korean food tends to be full of garlic and spice, but there are exceptions. The easiest dish to eat if you are unfamiliar with Korean food is a dish called Bibim Bap (check my spelling). It's mixed vegetables, meat, egg, and a tasty sauce. I think you can regulate the spicy influence. Ask the server. Like Judge said - if you like Asian cuisine in general, the tastes in Korean food will be familiar. Korean BBQ is famous for being one of the most popular foods to eat in a Korean restaurant. I tend to love Kimchi as a side dish. But, you have to love wilted cabbage, garlic, and loads of red pepper spice. For some, Kimchi is an acquired taste. Have fun out with your friends.
Perfect description of Korean taste.

That sounds fun. Here in the mountains of Wales, I have to make my own. Kimchi is nice too.It's sort of like sauerkraut but with red chilis in.

Plays right into the debate over Thai food. And one's ability to admire- or withstand incredibly hot food.

Plays right into the debate over Thai food. And one's ability to admire- or withstand incredibly hot food.
No. I do like hot food, but not so that it covers the other flavours. Thai food is different. I've only tasted Thai curry. It was kind of citrusy.

No. I do like hot food, but not so that it covers the other flavours. Thai food is different. I've only tasted Thai curry. It was kind of citrusy.

I've never understood the point of creating searing spicy foods. To a point where taste may become a moot point. Though I suppose some people enjoy testing their own tolerance for such things. Yet another thing I don't get about people's taste. Oh well. :eek:

I enjoy Jalapeno peppers, but stay away from Habaneros. Even then, still they're something I cannot eat in any real amount.

I've never understood the point of creating searing spicy foods. To a point where taste may become a moot point. Though I suppose some people enjoy testing their own tolerance for such things. Yet another thing I don't get about people's taste. Oh well. :eek:

I enjoy Jalapeno peppers, but stay away from Habaneros. Even then, still they're something I cannot eat in any real amount.
I agree. I'm go to try to go to sleep before dawn today. Nos da.

New Threads

Top Bottom