• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would you call someone obsessed with normality?

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
Any time I'm doing something that is a little unusual, I'll have memories pop into my head of times that others judged me or looked aghast at some small deviation of mine from the norm.

For instance, one time a lady was visiting my wife when I came down to the kitchen for a snack. I opened some string cheese and popped it in the microwave (5 to 8 seconds softens it up real nicely and makes it more fun to eat). She stopped mid-sentence and said, "Did YOU just microwave STRING CHEESE?!" I said, "Yep. It's great! Want some?" She quickly said no, but her horrified look was complete overkill for the situation - I was heating cheese, not juggling shaved kittens. It seemed like she found the idea of doing anything 'abnormal' or 'weird' to be completely unthinkable.

I have a lot of memories like that - echoes of judgement from others.

But, what would you call someone who could never think to do something weird or abnormal?

I thought of "aggressively normal", but it's not quite that. Maybe "obsessively normal" or, as I put in the title, "obsessed with normality"? Maybe it's just "shallow" or "close-minded" and I'm overthinking it.

I'm not looking for derogatory terms or insults - I'm looking for a term that concisely describes the behavior.

Conformist. Although there are a lot of conformists who are autistic as well which surprises me, so who knows...

Any time I'm doing something that is a little unusual, I'll have memories pop into my head of times that others judged me or looked aghast at some small deviation of mine from the norm.

For instance, one time a lady was visiting my wife when I came down to the kitchen for a snack. I opened some string cheese and popped it in the microwave (5 to 8 seconds softens it up real nicely and makes it more fun to eat). She stopped mid-sentence and said, "Did YOU just microwave STRING CHEESE?!" I said, "Yep. It's great! Want some?" She quickly said no, but her horrified look was complete overkill for the situation - I was heating cheese, not juggling shaved kittens. It seemed like she found the idea of doing anything 'abnormal' or 'weird' to be completely unthinkable.

I have a lot of memories like that - echoes of judgement from others.

But, what would you call someone who could never think to do something weird or abnormal?

I thought of "aggressively normal", but it's not quite that. Maybe "obsessively normal" or, as I put in the title, "obsessed with normality"? Maybe it's just "shallow" or "close-minded" and I'm overthinking it.

I'm not looking for derogatory terms or insults - I'm looking for a term that concisely describes the behavior.
You may be thinking in the wrong direction. It is not that they are obsessed with normality, they simply see you as not normal. This disturbs, and in some cases even frightens them. They tend to have a well organized view of reality, and anything that does not fit is unsettling place for it I get this a lot from my wife. who believes anyone who does not think like she does must be psychopathic, brain damaged, or a moron.

I like the conformist option, but maybe with a modifier such as Extremely conformist.

Some others that came to mind were:

Normalist

High Priestess of Normality

Extranormal

"Normality" is a vague concept. It's based upon your specific community, the social group around you, your personal truths, and even perhaps a bit of amygdala-triggered fear and anxiety. Some are focused upon "sameness" on a more global perspective (politics, religion, community etc),...whereas some autistics are focused upon "sameness" on a more personal perspective (personal routines, etc). Not all neurodivergent, free-thinking individuals are autistic, but I believe most are. I will often drive a different route to a restaurant, the market, wherever,...just to drive my wife nuts,...who believes HER way is the correct way and my way is stupid. My little bit of entertainment for the day, messing with her mind, watching her personal GPS go "recalculating,...recalculating,...recalculating." :p:D

I like the conformist option, but maybe with a modifier such as Extremely conformist.

Some others that came to mind were:

Normalist

High Priestess of Normality

Extranormal
Or even ubernormal :p

"Normality" is a vague concept. It's based upon your specific community, the social group around you, your personal truths, and even perhaps a bit of amygdala-triggered fear and anxiety. Some are focused upon "sameness" on a more global perspective (politics, religion, community etc),...whereas some autistics are focused upon "sameness" on a more personal perspective (personal routines, etc). Not all neurodivergent, free-thinking individuals are autistic, but I believe most are. I will often drive a different route to a restaurant, the market, wherever,...just to drive my wife nuts,...who believes HER way is the correct way and my way is stupid. My little bit of entertainment for the day, messing with her mind, watching her personal GPS go "recalculating,...recalculating,...recalculating." :p:D

I don't even have GPS and don't want it! :D

I have many strange ways to get somewhere, and have enough knowledge of my city to take various different routes, and few of them are on major roads... Except it's usually just me in the car...

LOL. I wouldn't give the woman another thought.

-EVER. :rolleyes:

I'll add it to the list of thought patterns I need to learn to change. It's like a reflexive thought that pops up every time I do something that I think others might see as unusual.

Scrolling though, I see I cannot add anything, to an already excellent understanding of what you mean, so will just share my experiences.

I have often been looked at weirdly, but now, with my faith, I am told often: Suzanne. What is normal? Are we all not a little crazy? We are all individuals, who have our querks, so take to heart, that, when you feel that you are being seen as strange.

Despite my mature years, I am quite childish, when I am excited, but just seems ok to my spiritual brothers and sisters.

New Threads

Top Bottom