• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the most irritating thing you got repeatedly told growing up?

most irritating moment was best moment, when I realized the significance of being a peaceful man, " I was on field with brother, and friend, I pitched brother hit, ball smacked me center of forehead, I got uo ready to kill so not, hurt, I hit my brother once, we told father, I was one who got punished, he said what if you hit him in wrong spot he died, you feel real bad, he was right, only one fight after that against an old friend turned nemesis which ended in draw we each seeing yellow, life kind sicked worse after that I ignored not picked on

"Why do you always look so angry/sour?"
"Go and play with the other children."
The most hurtful: "You are so disgusting. You are so ugly. Nobody will ever like you. Nobody will ever want to be your friend. You are so pathetic."

"Why do you always look so angry/sour?"
"Go and play with the other children."
The most hurtful: "You are so disgusting. You are so ugly. Nobody will ever like you. Nobody will ever want to be your friend. You are so pathetic."

That's a disgusting way to speak to someone.

Sorry you had to go through that.

There are probably more, but for me it would be;

"Just TRY to remember next time" or "DON'T forget".

As if I had a choice to remember or not remember.

Even now I'm struck by futility of those words.

Thing is my 'try to remember face'
Looked like my toilet face.

One I had was 'what's wrong with your face?'
With a big emphasised 'your'
Huh?

I also had similar but it would be :
'I'm not telling you again'

Well I still didn't hear/understand so how do you expect whatever it was you asked to be done?

Great thread mr. Steam

I also had similar but it would be :
'I'm not telling you again'

Well I still didn't hear/understand so how do you expect whatever it was you asked to be done?

I remember that one too.

Let confusion reign.

Great thread mr. Steam

I think you.

Full Steam; purveyor of fine threads, and remarkable posts.

... occasional slips in quality control may occur.

I don't like these words. At all. I feel like they BLAME me for forgetting things. I also don't like people telling me "common sense", so triggering. They just expect me to magically develop it out of the blue, huh? Or maybe common sense just grows on trees??

My favorite involved school and homework.

Always did badly. And never remembered homework. And I'd be told that I need to pay attention, because "what they're teaching you is important!"

Every time, I'd say "I'm never going to need any of this crap after highschool. It's all useless."

Followed by "Yes you will!"

Fast forward to today. I know plenty of things about all sorts of subjects. ......NONE of which I learned in school, all of which I learned on my own. All that homework, the long and boring classes? Waste of bloody time. As I knew it would be.

Well, one exception: the keyboarding class. For that, at least, I am thankful. There's also things like learning to read/write, but stuff in kindergarten doesnt count.

Also two other minor ones:

"You need a haircut!"

"You look like a girl!"

That second one sure got interesting years down the line.

I don't like these words. At all. I feel like they BLAME me for forgetting things. I also don't like people telling me "common sense", so triggering. They just expect me to magically develop it out of the blue, huh? Or maybe common sense just grows on trees??

Yes, it's the blame part that irritates me the most.

My favorite involved school and homework.

Always did badly. And never remembered homework. And I'd be told that I need to pay attention, because "what they're teaching you is important!"

Every time, I'd say "I'm never going to need any of this crap after highschool. It's all useless."

Followed by "Yes you will!"

Fast forward to today. I know plenty of things about all sorts of subjects. ......NONE of which I learned in school, all of which I learned on my own. All that homework, the long and boring classes? Waste of bloody time. As I knew it would be.

Well, one exception: the keyboarding class. For that, at least, I am thankful. There's also things like learning to read/write, but stuff in kindergarten doesnt count.

Also two other minor ones:

"You need a haircut!"

"You look like a girl!"

That second one sure got interesting years down the line.

Home work never taught me anything either.

The school I'm sending my kids to doesn't believe in or set home work - how lucky are they?!?

most irritating moment was best moment, when I realized the significance of being a peaceful man, " I was on field with brother, and friend, I pitched brother hit, ball smacked me center of forehead, I got uo ready to kill so not, hurt, I hit my brother once, we told father, I was one who got punished, he said what if you hit him in wrong spot he died, you feel real bad, he was right, only one fight after that against an old friend turned nemesis which ended in draw we each seeing yellow, life kind sicked worse after that I ignored not picked on

My parents were versatile in their discouraging words usage. They managed to get in most of those previously mentioned in this thread along with countless others.

Their best move in this regard was to pick some mean epithet that they hung on each of my siblings and I and keep hammering away on that for each of us. It made all of us feel very bad.

I discovered that I had sort of made a batch of recordings of mean things my parents said to me that I sort of played over and over in my head. I realized that I was letting my parents try to ruin the rest of my life after I left home by letting their mean comments keep going in my head.

I decided that I did not have to let that continue. My way of breaking myself of this horrible habit was by using a rubber band around my wrist. Every time one of my parents' mean sayings went thnrough my head, I snapped the rubber band on my wrist and told myself to stop it. I usually do not do this anymore. It feels a lot better.

I really like that saying, "Living well is the best revenge". I try to do that as much as possible.

Being questioned in social settings on certain subjects.
Mainly like: " Why don't you have a boyfriend?"
"Don't you want children?"
"Don't you ever want to get married? "
I got so annoyed later in life at always being asked:
"Why didn't you ever marry?"
I finally thought of an answer to say everytime to squelch it..." I never found another me." ;)

"Just be yourself"

"What's wrong?" (when nothing was wrong)

"She's just tired" (My mom's explanation for any time I was upset. I heard this into my teens)

The biggest: Stop doing that, don't do that to my stimming habit. I did not stop until adulthood and sometimes still catch myself when under stress. I learned how to hide it during my teenage years - more when my mom was in the room.

I remember that one too.

Let confusion reign.

I think you.

Full Steam; purveyor of fine threads, and remarkable posts.

... occasional slips in quality control may occur.

Steam enterprises cannot be held responsible for any offence cause by either deliberately offensive statements or lack of quality. By reading posts by steam enteprises or any other associated account you agree that you have no rights whatsoever and that you probably also owe him money.

Something like that :)

1) Just cruising. Youre so intelligent but you dont try. If you just put your mind to it. If you can do X then you can do Y. Just get on with it. You could if you were bothered enough....

2) Its your own fault you dont have any friends. You isolate youself. Nobody will invite you if you dont go anyway.

My parents were versatile in their discouraging words usage. They managed to get in most of those previously mentioned in this thread along with countless others.

Their best move in this regard was to pick some mean epithet that they hung on each of my siblings and I and keep hammering away on that for each of us. It made all of us feel very bad.

I discovered that I had sort of made a batch of recordings of mean things my parents said to me that I sort of played over and over in my head. I realized that I was letting my parents try to ruin the rest of my life after I left home by letting their mean comments keep going in my head.

I decided that I did not have to let that continue. My way of breaking myself of this horrible habit was by using a rubber band around my wrist. Every time one of my parents' mean sayings went thnrough my head, I snapped the rubber band on my wrist and told myself to stop it. I usually do not do this anymore. It feels a lot better.

I really like that saying, "Living well is the best revenge". I try to do that as much as possible.

'Vengeance is mine sayeth the lord.'

Shame, i was hoping i would be allowed vengeance. More pulp fiction-esque.

Like the rubber band idea, its not always easy to be aware of your negative patterns. Part of living well is discovering them.

So living well, does not mean living easy. It can be tough but worth it.

Steam enterprises cannot be held responsible for any offence cause by either deliberately offensive statements or lack of quality. By reading posts by steam enteprises or any other associated account you agree that you have no rights whatsoever and that you probably also owe him money.

Something like that :)

Do you want a job?

New Threads

Top Bottom