• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Supplements Do You Take?

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I love natural medicine, and one way I know to boost my immunity and feel healthier and more energetic is by taking good quality supplements.

This is what I take:

• Prenatal Vitamins (More vitamins in them than standard supplements)
  • Fish Oil (Good for your brain)
  • Calcium/Magnesium (Good for your bones and is a mild muscle relaxer and stress reducer)
  • Vitamin D (Sunshine vitamin/ antidepressant)
  • Dried Bovine Liver (It sounds repulsive, but chemo and radiation really wrecked my liver. I find that when I take liver supplements, the pain goes away. And it tastes better than eating actual liver.)

Last edited:
Vit D & Vit K together
Vit C & Zinc together
Multi-vitamin. I like the idea of prenatals though. Thanks for mentioning that. I'm going to give those a try next.
Quercetin
Melatonin
Baby aspirin sized dose of aspirin

I bought a capsule making machine that works well and I bought Vit C and Zinc in powder form and a milligram scale. I started making my own capsules using veg-capsules

If you eat well you probably do not need any supplements. A lot of our processed food already have them pre added. D in milk. my brother got scurvy a few years ago talking to his son. was eating a can of vegtable soup for lunch only, did not like oranges. So you never know Being an Aspie does not make you smart.

Last edited:
Well, I've been eating yoghurt all my life. Usually everyday (yes the active stuff). I am not sure if I feel "treated" or not!:p

Otherwise I take a multi vitamin, vit C and D every day.
I don't eat processed foods and cook 90% of our meals.
But living on a boat it is hard to keep fresh fruit and veggies so we don't get enough.

I apologize in advance. I am still in the obsessively researching everything related to autism phase. I stumbled upon the following article and am thinking about getting tablets with Lactobacillus reuteri in them. And of course the first thing I did after reading the article, was to go eat some yogurt...LOL. :D
Yogurt for autism? 'Very exciting' study shows probiotic could serve as effective treatment for disorder
Probiotics are so good for you! The more the merrier. Some people take over 50 billion units of probiotics a day if they're chronically ill and need to recolonize their gut flora.

be careful yogurt can do a real job on your teeth, probiootics most notably coating your teeth with what we would have called media when I was in school years ago. Lactic acid will do a real job on them under the right conditions. Still have my Difco manual.

I apologize in advance. I am still in the obsessively researching everything related to autism phase. I stumbled upon the following article and am thinking about getting tablets with Lactobacillus reuteri in them. And of course the first thing I did after reading the article, was to go eat some yogurt...LOL. :D
Yogurt for autism? 'Very exciting' study shows probiotic could serve as effective treatment for disorder
Those of us having worked with animal models know that "mice lie and monkeys exaggerate." I'd take the study as correlation, at best. I would want to see a causal relationship before acting. Plus, small sample sizes create biases that emphasize the tails of a response distribution rather than the mean effect.

Keep in mind, I've got some endocrine issues and I work a very stressful job in an intensive care unit.

1. Melatonin,...sleep aid, hormonal support, antioxidant
2. Probiotic (31 strains) w/digestive enzymes,...digestive, immune, and neurotransmitter support
3. Vitamin D3/K2,...calcium absorption, vascular health, hormonal support
4. Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc,...bone, muscular, and immune support
5. Omega-3 (algae sourced),...lipid metabolism and brain support
6. Methyl-B12 (methylcobalamin), methyl-folate, phosphatidylserine, huperzine A...brain support
7. Ubiquinol, Vitamin C, and N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC),...antioxidant, immune, and brain support
9. Iodine,...thyroid support
10. Theanine,...brain support

Ok,...that seems like a lot. However, I used to think that if I eat healthy, I could obtain all the required nutrients. The reality,...at least in the US,...the RDA (recommended daily allowance) is the LEAST amount required to prevent health issues from deficiencies. Most of the fruits and vegetables in the markets are grown in depleted dirt full of pesticides and/or are shipped in from other countries way before they are ripe in order to survive the trip. In other words, you are going to need to eat like a gluttonous pig in order to obtain what you need. I eat one or two meals a day,...not enough to get a sufficient balance of nutrients in. If you are lucky enough to grow your own foods in rich compost or hydroponically with a rich nutrient solution,...awesome,...unfortunately, that's not my situation.

Last edited:
If you eat well you probably do not need any supplements. A lot of our processed food already have them pre added. D in milk. my brother got scurvy a few years ago talking to his son. was eating a can of vegtable soup for lunch only, did not like oranges. So you never know Being an Aspie does not make you smart.
Having autistic neurology definitely makes me smart! when I get the I'm losing the will to live expression, fortunately I don't suffer smarting very often, being extremely intelligent no not that either .

I went the all natural route and now only take vitamin M :p

I take vitamin C and D, multivitamins, and occasional probiotics. I also have stomach issues so I take digestive enzymes for my gluten allergy, lypogold for fat processing, and a gallbladder enzyme with meals that have more fat because I don’t have a gallbladder anymore due to a condition I couldn’t control. I can’t take any form of magnesium because it severely impacts my digestive system. I have taken fish oil in the past but I don’t anymore.

I’m extraordinarily sensitive to most medicines I take (I have constant stomach cramps no matter what I eat) and supplements as well because I often get incredibly itchy rashes if a vitamin bothers me or a cold.

This is since I have a citric acid intolerance, which isn’t that known but essentially anything that has citric acid in it (which is most vitamins I’ve seen and several foods), tends to make me feel allergic. I also have a citrus allergy so I have to be incredibly careful of anything I consume because some things I wouldn’t even think about having orange flavor do. This also includes multivitamins as many have orange flavors so I always have to look out for that.

All of the over the counter products that I take were ordered by my cardiologist. In fact, most of the meds that I take were ordered by my cardiologist.

Vitamin D3, for obvious reasons.
Vitamin B for nerve health and considerably reduces carpal tunnel at night and saves me from being operated on.
Super enzymes and priobotics. Do not have a gallbladder anymore and so, with those two, can eat fat and not get bloated.

I do not take multivitamins, because they do not work. It is like an overload on the body. Think: a drink that has many flavours; loses the essense of flavours.

Vitamin B complex

Gingko Biloba (helps with focus and concentration)

Multivitamins occasionally (2-3 times per year)

Vitamin D (In Autumn and Winter)

Iron supplement for Iron deficiency

Daily:
A, B, C, D, E, Garlic Oil, Magnesium,
Niacin, B-6, B-50, Cal-Mag-Zinc

Occasionally:
MSM, Iron

New Threads

Top Bottom