• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What quote is this? (AKA splines)

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
My friends and I played this game about 20 years ago where we would take a movie quote and rewrite it so it uses different words, but sounds the same. To figure out what quote this is, you have to read it aloud and then listen to what it sounds like. We called them "splines" but I can't remember why. A few years after we started this, the game "Mad Gab" came out based on the same principle.

For this game, I (or someone else) will post the puzzle, and someone else can reply with the solution.

Here's an example:

Puzzle: LIE FIZZ LYE CAB OX OFF CHALK LITS

Solution: Life is like a box of chocolates (from Forrest Gump)

You see that both of these sound (pretty much) the same when read aloud. It helps to read it out loud quickly without pausing between words.

If this is well received, I'll keep posting until I run out of quotes. My friends and I collected over a hundred of these - most are movie quotes, some are not. If you want to add your own, please do!

Here's the first quote for you to figure out:

Puzzle: DUE WAR DUNE OUGHT THEY'RE HIS NOTE RYE

"Do or do not...there is no try" - Yoda

and I counter with...

Then eats off them any oat way then eats off tough ewe.

Correct! Well done!

Solution to yours: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. (Spock, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan)

Puzzle: WHEE OUR THEN EYE ZOO SANE KNEE

Last edited:
Solution: "We are the knights who say 'Nee!'" - The Knights of Nee, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Puzzle: Half one store mint a cast eel

haha, you're good at this. I got this one too, but I'd like to see if anyone else wants to join in. I think you have a syllable too many in the first part though. If nobody else joins in for a bit I will cheerfully continue on. This is fun.

haha, you're good at this.

I was about to say the same to you. I'm just pulling quotes out of a collection I started over 20 years ago - and I contributed maybe a third of that collection. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with more than one original quote in a single day, like you have.

I got this one too, but I'd like to see if anyone else wants to join in. ... If nobody else joins in for a bit I will cheerfully continue on.

Absolutely. I'll happily wait if it means getting more people involved in the game.

I think you have a syllable too many in the first part though.

Whoops! I just looked up the original quote, and it looks like I left a word out of it in my puzzle. How about this:

Puzzle: GNOME OAR I’M SNOW WHY ME KNIT – A KNEE BUD DEE WON NAPPY NUT

Ok, I wanna keep this going lol

Solution: No more rhymes now, I mean it! Anybody want a peanut? - Vizzini and Fezzik, The Princess Bride

Puzzle: Arm nutty fend soap post tube heat hoard satay

Puzzle: Arm nutty fend soap post tube heat hoard satay

This one has me stumped right now. I think I can make out the words in the middle, but the first and last two words aren't coming together for me. I wonder if it's from a movie I haven't seen.

Not giving up yet.

Solution: I'm not even supposed to be here today ???

I'm not so sure about this. I think "I'm not even supposed to be" fits, but the rest is a total guess, and it's not an exact fit for the sounds.

Puzzle: LOOSE HE JEW COTS OHMS PLAIN INTO DUE

You have to go back to the days of black-and-white TV for this one.

"Lucy! You got some 'splainin to do!" Ricky, I love Lucy

Puzzle: East test snow bathing tousle abrade assent pull wife

Again, sounds aren't 100% match on this one, I wanted it to be a challenge. Fairly modern movie, really big, I would be utterly shocked if you haven't seen it.

Solution: It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Puzzle: GNOME ADDER WARE HEW GOAT HAIR HEW WAR

It's most fun to hear someone say these out loud, where you can hear the solution, but they can't because they're focusing on the printed words. When we first started doing this, we enjoyed making people read "eye yammer reeled amass" out loud, over and over until they got it. Because we're engineers and we all have the sense of humor of a 13 year old boy.

No matter where you go, there you are.

No idea what movie it might have been in, as it's commonly quoted and been around longer than television, it's likely been in many movies and TV shows.

Puzzle: Neigh fur tray stag ion attune nick

"No matter where you go, there you are" is from The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension.

Solution to yours: Never trust a guy in a tunic. I had to google the quote to see what movie it was from. Land of the Lost?

Puzzle: WARN AWE TIN CANS SASS AN KNEE MOWER TOTE OWE

Yep, Land of the Lost

Solution: We're not in Kansas any more, Toto - Dorothy Gale

Puzzle: Awl Waist ache urban anoint owe apart tier rouse

(I had to be creative finding words for this one, you might have to say it loosely lol)

New Threads

Top Bottom