• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What made you UNHAPPY today?

Found out that high speed internet isn't coming to me now for years, if at all. I've been following progress of the new TrueStream fiber optic service for well over a year. The cutoff is a straight line on the map, but they put a cove in one spot for a couple miles, and I am in that spot.

I don't know what it is, but I've been trying to get cable or wireless for over 20 years. I tried several wireless companies, none of which had a signal coming my way. I tried DSL but the signal wasn't strong enough. Satellite goes out in bad weather, and we get a lot of that. My old house had a Charter service box in my front yard, and my neighbors got it, but they refused to install it at my house. Then about a week before I sold the house, they installed it for the buyer of my house, the same way they refused to do it for me, and she didn't even own the house yet.

Nothing available at the new house either. Wireless signal is poor to nonexistent, one reason my ex hated it here. Cable goes all over the back roads but for some reason they won't install it here, even down most of the main road which is the busiest county road in the county. I know satellite is poor but I even tried Viasat and they said they have stopped doing installs in my area.

One company tried to expand service to folks like me. But they got sued by a winery for "spoiling their views", and were forced to take down their tower.

I was really hopeful when they started Truestream, and I signed up. But now there are no definite plans to bring it to my house. My area is now considered "for future evaluation in the years to come". It's still wishful thinking but I already know what that means.

So here I am, running 26400 on the same dialup account that I got in 1997, because I haven't been able to get anything better. I've learned to deal. I can only do things that are simple text based without scripts, or a few small images. Most everything I end up doing at work. In the old days I used to be able to do a lot, but as the internet gets more reliant on higher bandwidth, I can do less and less. Thankfully this forum works well.

And it's barely above freezing today, and we have another snowstorm coming Monday.

Wow @tlc , I can barely imagine not having high-speed internet. I certainly take it for granted sometimes. I definitely remember the days of not having things like the internet and cell phones (as an old "millenial" I am in the unique position of appreciating both the fact that I can, and have, survived without all the cool and new technologies, but I am also tech-savvy, and appreciate my internet, cell phone, laptop and all the good stuff I am so privileged to have).

Sad to say that on this nice Saturday morning, I started it off on a bad note.

I was sort of pissed off 'cause my husband was whining about me ordering a huge breakfast on Grubhub. The things I truly appreciate and enjoy, I can count on one hand, and humongous diner breakfasts is one of them. LOL I mean, I get it. I really do. Eating out/ordering food is expensive and we can save money this way, considering that I have another very expensive need, which is, taking Lyfts/Juno cars everywhere I go. I detest NYC public transportation. I have had enough. I want to die when I'm on the subway or bus. Riding in the car is the only way I can cope at this point getting around the city, and even that is anxiety-inducing.

I get that we are struggling financially right now. We aren't super desperate and on the verge of losing everything, but like most families, we're struggling.

I don't spend too much money on anything else, really. Not nowadays anyway. I'm on meds now, so no more impulsive spending lol

We've made peace, but it just bothered me that he made me feel bad about indulging in one of my fave things.

I say nothing wrong with your breakfast. Everybody's gotta have at least one thing they can enjoy.

For me, not being able to do things online is a worthwhile tradeoff to living in the big city. I couldn't imagine most of what you describe. I've never ridden in a train, taxi, or public transit bus. Having a job in a city of 15,000 was more than I could handle on a daily basis.

For the first time in nearly 6 months I decided to call for a cab. It was a beautiful warm sunny day, and I decided to go to the flea market. I planned to get the cab so I'd arrive early enough since most of the sellers there close up shop when it's barely 1:30 , and then walk back home. But over half an hour passed and they still hadn't shown up, and I had a meltdown. Now I've missed the flea market. I decide to go on Google to give them a piece of my mind. I wasn't the only one, most people gave their "service" a one-star rating. They are also very rude, both on the phone and as drivers, and there were people who had to wait TWO HOURS for the cab! Goodness me, it would take me a lot less time to walk almost anywhere I wanted to go than waste it waiting for them! Imagine if I had to call them because I had just bought a huge pile of groceries including frozen and perishable foods! Fortunately, I found another cab business on Google Map that got somewhat decent ratings so next time, if there is a next time, I will try them instead.

But seriously, don't trust or rely on anyone.:mad:

Last edited:
A family member blaring some shouting porcine right-wing pundit.

My social worker could come over this week because her mother-in-law just died. I expressed my sympathy over the phone, but this week has felt long and boring with my mother also not coming over and my waiting for our trip on Mother's Day.

Not getting enough sleep last night due to a jerk of a neighbor. I love Kendrick Lamar, just not at 2AM when I have to be at work in a few hours.

I got a windshield for my car last weekend but it's still too cold to put it in. Earlier this week they were saying to expect 70-80F temps for the weekend. So much for that. Last 2 days it's been in the 40s. I tried some caulk on a test piece last Friday and it's still not set up. I've hardly been able to get anything done outside. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be a repeat of 2009, when even mid July I was outside welding in my winter coat.

Constructive criticism in regards to the (lack of) hygiene of my person.

New Threads

Top Bottom