• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What language can you speak?

Libecht

Some Aspies are particularly interested in languages (like me), so I'd like to know what language you guys speak :)
Please make a list with the languages you speak and how good you are at them.
Proficiency level: Mother tongue/Fluent/advanced/intermediate/beginner
Also, list the ones that you'd like to learn!

I go first,
Chinese: Mother tongue
English: Fluent~Advanced
Taiwanese (a dialect of Chinese): Advanced
Japanese: Intermediate
German: Beginner~Intermediate (learning)
Cantonese (biggest dialect of Chinese): Beginner (learning)

Languages I want to learn the most: French, Swedish, Italian, Polish
I'm a language nerd so I'll definitely learn much more than these in the future :p

My native language is English. I have a decent grasp of Spanish, due to extensive contact with native speakers; however, my proficiency has decayed significantly since I haven't had many opportunities to practice in a very long time. I am currently taking three- and four-hundred level Latin classes, and I'm probably better with it than I am with Spanish. I also know some German, and somewhat less French and Chinese (Mandarin). Actually, I've forgotten most of my Mandarin.

I do want to revisit those other languages, but the hyperreliance on group work I feel makes the curriculum less accessible to me. The next language I expect to take classes in is ancient Greek, since it is extinct and that makes it less susceptible to the group work fad.

I've got copies of books in German and Spanish, and I keep meaning to go through them with a dictionary, but I haven't managed to get around to it.

My first language was English. I am fluent in both English and American Sign Language. I am trying to learn German, but don't know if I will stick to it long enough to become fluent.

American English - Mother Tongue
German - Beginner

Languages that I would like to learn:
Russian
French
Zulu

Great! I am a language nerd too! I think it is starting as my new obsession...
Spanish: Mother tongue
English: Fluent~Advanced
Esperanto: Advanced (it's an international language, meant for world peace)
Japanese: Intermediate
French: Intermediate
I want to learn German (I'll start in 6 months), Russian, and maybe also Swedish and Mandarin. But for now, I'll just strengthen.
I couldn't imagine that I would meet so many interesting people with cracked Japanese.
This is how I do when I meet someone who likes the same:
tumblr_nauzry9YOD1tknl6to1_250.gif

American English is my mother tongue.
British English equally as fluent in that. (Yes it is a good bit different though I tend to mix the two now.)
Spanish - fluent - advanced.
Dutch - intermediate and better written than spoken as I write more to my Dutch friends that speak with them and, they do speak fluent English.
Salish (a native American language) - intermediate.
Chinese - a few words and one song.
German - a few words.

Currently learning
Urdu
Arabic

Want to learn
Japanese
French
Korean
Vietnamese
Russian

Dutch - Mother tongue, weird ass language in some ways, especially the grammar can be a real pain sometimes.
English - fluent/advanced (quite fluent in writing but a sever lack of oral practice makes me lean towards advanced because of accent and stuff)
German - intermediate. I can basically understand most things, speak back in simple sentences. Grammar though...
French - beginner, remember some things I had to learn in school but that's about it.

I'm most proficient in Japanese since I had an interest in it since I was 13. I can write and speak well but my hearing skills are lagging, but thats from hearing damage which is another story

Though I don't learn the words, I also have a talent of absorbing the annunciation and pronunciation of many other languages. I like Russian in both those categories; I think I might challenge myself with studying that next

British English - Mothertongue

American English - Fluent (people forget that it is another dialect which many become familiar with through American media)

French - intermediate (school taught, easier to read and understand rather than try to speak it!)

Japanese - beginner (self-taught)

I would love to become fluent in Japanese (and have better French now that I have a good French friend) but find it hard to study consistently. I'm good at understanding but not remembering! It is very frustrating.

I've also explored Russian, Dutch and Farsi (Persian) a little.

British English - Mothertongue

American English - Fluent (people forget that it is another dialect which many become familiar with through American media)

French - intermediate (school taught, easier to read and understand rather than try to speak it!)

Japanese - beginner (self-taught)

I would love to become fluent in Japanese (and have better French now that I have a good French friend) but find it hard to study consistently. I'm good at understanding but not remembering! It is very frustrating.

I've also explored Russian, Dutch and Farsi (Persian) a little.
Oh... I forgot to mention British and American Sign Language, both beginner level.

Hay we could use this thread to find people to practice/learn with! Anyone want to practice spanish with me?

English -native

Deutsch - beginner grammar with intermediate vocabulary

Español - beginner (trying to learn it for work)

Koine greek - know the alphabet and a good amount of vocabulary with the basic grammar concepts studied in high school for a year.

Esperanto - studied in the past, forgot a lot of it

Hebrew -just alphabet and how to read

Korean - Could read it and knew 4words, i could relearn to read it in about 20minutes haha

Hay we could use this thread to find people to practice/learn with! Anyone want to practice spanish with me?
Good idea!
Whoever is interested in Chinese or Japanese feel free to ask me!

P.S Currently I'm not planning to learn Spanish (although I know some basic vocab actually), but I'm learning Deutsch too!
This is how I do when I meet someone who likes the same
*Pat Shoulder* lol
Dutch - Mother tongue, weird ass language in some ways, especially the grammar can be a real pain sometimes.
Dutch is a cool language. I wanna learn it some day as well!
I know that g,ch and r make odd yet interesting sounds.

Hay we could use this thread to find people to practice/learn with!

Sounds like a proper idea. If anyone ever wants some help with Dutch, feel free to contact me

Dutch is a cool language. I wanna learn it some day as well!
I know that g,ch and r make odd yet interesting sounds.

The fun thing about the g, ch and r sounds in Dutch is that they change depending on where in the country you are, up north the g and ch are very harsh while down south they sound way softer. Same for the r, some dialect completely swallow it while other dialects sound like a sawmill when they have a lot of r's in a sentence.

More weird sounds in Dutch that I don't think many (if any) other countries have are "ui" and "eu" or at least not in that written form. I'm still trying to find a way to translate "gezellig" because that's a concept only the Dutch know and it's pretty much impossible to explain xD

Also a thing that Dutch does that really screws with my English a lot is that the way of building sentences is pretty similar (though English is a lot stricter in this) and in Dutch you can fit "dat" (translates to "that" in English) pretty much anywhere in any sentence, so I tend to overuse the word "that" a lot

Sounds like a proper idea. If anyone ever wants some help with Dutch, feel free to contact me

The fun thing about the g, ch and r sounds in Dutch is that they change depending on where in the country you are, up north the g and ch are very harsh while down south they sound way softer. Same for the r, some dialect completely swallow it while other dialects sound like a sawmill when they have a lot of r's in a sentence.

More weird sounds in Dutch that I don't think many (if any) other countries have are "ui" and "eu" or at least not in that written form. I'm still trying to find a way to translate "gezellig" because that's a concept only the Dutch know and it's pretty much impossible to explain xD

Also a thing that Dutch does that really screws with my English a lot is that the way of building sentences is pretty similar (though English is a lot stricter in this) and in Dutch you can fit "dat" (translates to "that" in English) pretty much anywhere in any sentence, so I tend to overuse the word "that" a lot
I like germanic languages very much. I actually hate spanish and would much rather learn italian if im gonna learn a romance language but its not practicle to learn it when i live in ohio, usa. Ohio is pretty much only english, besides a small amount of spanish and some PA deitsch speakers southeast of here. Its hardly even worth learning spanish living where i do, but i want to learn something. :/ I need people to practice with in person if im ever going to become fluent in a language and best chances on that right now is with spanish.

Also im in love with case systems instead of word order, in koine greek it was so wonderful adding different endings to the words. I also like esperantos way of constructing words by just putting the pieces together. If esperanto had more speakers and used a case system more like koine greek it would be my favorite.

New Threads

Top Bottom