• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What language can you speak?

Yes. I was surprised myself. I was written off by my language teachers at school as being incapable of learning a foreign language, so I am thrilled that they were wrong.
Whoa, I've been called a language genius or something, but you're much better!
Gotta try Danish sometime. Looks interesting and easy in your description;)

Speak fluently only Dutch, German and English.. (and the local dialect and variations thereof; which still spans across part of Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany). I suppose Pennsylvania dutch is one of those I can understand well enough to adjust to speaking if I would end up in those regions; considering the 3 primary languages I know are a big basis for it.

Reading on a basic level is a totally different matter; French, Italian, Spanish, Portugese, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish...

Aside from all the middle-eastern and asian language I'm covered I guess. Western, Northern and Southern Europe shouldn't be a problem for me to find my way and understand what's going on

Though I still plan on learning Klingon. Not cause I'm a trekky, but more for the heck of it. Putting it on your resume and asking if Starfleet academy is hiring gives you the strangest looks :D

I guess along with understanding languages, there's a lot of slang and argots which have taken my interest over time including stuff like Bargoens and Polari.

I might consider learning Hebrew as well, though I'm leaning more towards Yiddish since I use plenty of words in my everyday speak from that (and before someone wonders; no I'm not jewish).

Speak fluently only Dutch, German and English.. (and the local dialect and variations thereof; which still spans across part of Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany). I suppose Pennsylvania dutch is one of those I can understand well enough to adjust to speaking if I would end up in those regions; considering the 3 primary languages I know are a big basis for it.

Reading on a basic level is a totally different matter; French, Italian, Spanish, Portugese, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish...

Aside from all the middle-eastern and asian language I'm covered I guess. Western, Northern and Southern Europe shouldn't be a problem for me to find my way and understand what's going on
Wow that's incredible! Didn't expect so many language nerds here XD
Mind if I ask how you learned those languages? Did you study them on purpose? Did you have a teacher or a native speaker friend?

Wow that's incredible! Didn't expect so many language nerds here XD
Mind if I ask how you learned those languages? Did you study them on purpose? Did you have a teacher or a native speaker friend?

The ones I speak are the result of being raised trilingual... (otherwise known as the benefits of living on the dutch/german border and watching a lot of English tv shows without subtitles). Same for the local dialect.

The others; most are somewhat related to the ones I know and with a slight interest in etymology, deducing what words stem from which others and reading up about the source of words helps a lot of dissect foreign languages.

Whoa, I've been called a language genius or something, but you're much better!
Gotta try Danish sometime. Looks interesting and easy in your description;)
Thank you. Its a matter of finding the learning method and tools that work. I think it is relatively easy, I only struggle with the soft 'd' in some words but a lot of Americans/Canadians find the accent and pronunciation really hard, not sure why. Most Brits find it moderately hard (though those from some regions and Scots speakers find it essier) and German speakers tend to find it easy. The grammar is uncomplicated and easy to grasp too.

English: native
日本語/Japanese: fluent ~ intermediate in speaking, fluent ~ intermediate in listening, fluent ~ intermediate in reading, not great at writing but can make myself understood.
Deutsch/German: Ich habe alles vergessen...so back to beginner level.

Want to learn: French, Latin (for botany!)

Re: fluency. In language teaching, fluency refers to the speed and ease with which the speaker can use the language, but doesn't necessarily indicate accuracy. So technically, a fluent speaker is able to speak quickly like a native. But they may use appallingly poor grammar.

zurb, you were asking about constructing sentences in the foreign language or using a kind of translation... I do both, depending on the topic of conversation. Subtle nuances, idioms, etc, were picked up and absorbed without translation in some cases, and that is similar to the way I've learnt idioms in my mother tongue English, through context, finding patterns and applying them, etc. I try to use correct grammar but love using slang, slurring speech and using accents, etc. one cool thing about Japanese is that there are many dialects across the country and different vocab and phrases for different kinds of people. e.g. Boys, girls, women, men, old grumps, country bumpkins, disrespectful teens, etc., all have different speech expected of them, and it's fun to learn those types of speech and use them. It can be fun to play around with using outdated language.

I think being a natural mimic makes learning other languages easier for me.

My language exists somewhere between conscious and unconscious thought. I met a Japanese girl recently and had the chance to speak to a native speaker again for the first time in nearly a decade... We were both surprised by my ability to flip the Nihongo switch in my brain and let it come out from where it was sleeping. I think when a learner gets to a particular point, thinking and dreaming in the other language is inevitable/natural. If you're speaking the language daily, that language becomes your main language and starts to replace your mother tongue. I had to relearn many English words when I returned to Australia after being immersed in Japanese culture, and I'd lost my fluency in my own language after years of slowing it down for non-native speakers.

The others; most are somewhat related to the ones I know and with a slight interest in etymology, deducing what words stem from which others and reading up about the source of words helps a lot of dissect foreign languages.
Well that's a really unusual way to learn languages....but seems quite reasonable and efficient.
I see what you mean. After learning German, I can understand some Dutch (texts) as well.
Thank you. Its a matter of finding the learning method and tools that work. I think it is relatively easy, I only struggle with the soft 'd' in some words but a lot of Americans/Canadians find the accent and pronunciation really hard, not sure why. Most Brits find it hard (those from some regions and Scots speakers find it essier) and German speakers tend to find it easy. The grammar is uncomplicated and easy to grasp too.
Then how did you learn Danish? Duolingo? Did you put a lot of effort into it? Or just one hour per day, something like that?

I'd like to learn a Scadinavian language (Danish, Swedish, Norwegian), but not sure which one. Which one will allow me to understand the other two the most?
If you're speaking the language daily, that language becomes your main language and starts to replace your mother tongue. I had to relearn many English words when I returned to Australia after being immersed in Japanese culture, and I'd lost my fluency in my own language after years of slowing it down for non-native speakers.
Sounds cool. I'd like to try that!

Then how did you learn Danish? Duolingo? Did you put a lot of effort into it? Or just one hour per day, something like that?

I'd like to learn a Scadinavian language (Danish, Swedish, Norwegian), but not sure which one. Which one will allow me to understand the other two the most?

Sounds cool. I'd like to try that!

Danish is the 'hardest' of the three according to most people and Danes can understand Norwegians and Swedes more easily than Swedes and Norwegians can understand Danes. Official Norwegian is very very similar to Danish but with different pronunciation and the odd different word here and there. I can do the shortcut tests on the Norwegian duolingo and pass quite easily because I know Danish. Swedish is different in some respects, it has a lot more of its own words and there are a few cases where the gender of a word differs in Swedish to it's equivalent in Danish. In the Scandi Germanic languages they have two genders, a combined m/f gender and a neutral one.

I discovered last night that Danish has quite a few words in common with Icelandic, as I was watching an Icelandic drama and could get the basic jist of the story even when not paying attention to the subtitles. I mainly learned Danish with Duolingo, I did use memrise as well but that is really for memorising vocabulary words and simple phrases something I have no trouble with, so I didnt really have any need for it and deleted it.

I spend anything from 20 minutes a day to 3 hours a day on Duolingo. They do add new words and phrases to the duolingo courses from time to time, and I am still learning new words and figuring out new rules from it, so it is worth it to keep using Duolingo. I also follow pages of Danish stores on Facebook, read short to medium articles in Danish online newspapers and magazines and watch Danish TV shows on netflix. On the desktop duolingo site they have websites and other reading resources in your chosen language but not on the mobile website version or the app. There are also speech exercises if you use chrome, both on the PC and on phones and devices, however I find the site on chrome very laggy in general and the speech recognition patchy, I have used different microphones and had the same. Some exercises it doesn't recognise you have said anything at all, then the next exercise will recognise every word perfectly. I downloaded the main Danish TV station's apps as well but playback doesn't work, it may be that they don't work outside of Denmark-but similar apps for French and Spanish TV work in the UK, so that kinda sucks. It was funny as most of their foreign TV shows were from the UK.

I downloaded the main Danish TV station's apps as well but playback doesn't work, it may be that they don't work outside of Denmark-but similar apps for French and Spanish TV work in the UK, so that kinda sucks. It was funny as most of their foreign TV shows were from the UK.

Actually, that is something to take advantage of, I find. If there is a film or TV show that you are familiar with (I know there are many other Aspies like me out there who like to watch the same things over and over :D) then try to get your hands on a copy with dubbing, subtitles or both in your chosen language. Being familiar with the story means you already know what's going on, but you get to hear it in a different language. Your brain can then record the speech in context. Much more fun than learning boring stuff like, "Where is the train station?" to learn how to say, "Use the force, Luke"! It was a vital tool for me. Although keep in mind that you don't want to be mimicking antiquated speech too much... While it's fun, there isn't much practical use in learning how to speak like samurai. :D Especially if you're female, unfortunately.

Also listening to songs in your chosen language (and translating the lyrics so you comprehend the meaning) and learning those lyrics so you can sing along, is another great tool. Excellent listening practice and fluency (speed) practice.

I've read a few things that say Norwegian bridges the gap with the other two best, but I don't remember exactly where.

If you like these languages you have to see this :D (if you haven't already)

And every language nerd should play this game :D

Also second the "translating lyrics and singing along" - definitely my favourite method of learning. I picked up a lot of Japanese that way. Haven't found many Norwegian songs that I like though D:

English is my mother tongue, but I can comfortably read (and speak a little) Dutch and Spanish.
I know a little bit of American Sign Language.
I am happy-comfortable with German, it feels like a wonderful comfy pair of slippers. My grammar could use some work, though!

I LOVE learning a new language, because I can feel the patterns in the language. :grinning: WOOHOO! What a rush!! Anyone else have this sensation?

English is my mother tongue, but I can comfortably read (and speak a little) Dutch and Spanish.
I know a little bit of American Sign Language.
I am happy-comfortable with German, it feels like a wonderful comfy pair of slippers. My grammar could use some work, though!

I LOVE learning a new language, because I can feel the patterns in the language. :grinning: WOOHOO! What a rush!! Anyone else have this sensation?
I do as well. Sometimes when I forget a bit of grammar, I can grope in my head for the "shape" or the "feeling" of the construction I'm trying to use. This is especially important, since somehow or other I have found myself in an other German language class (I regret nothiiiiiinggg......).

Actually, that is something to take advantage of, I find. If there is a film or TV show that you are familiar with (I know there are many other Aspies like me out there who like to watch the same things over and over :D) then try to get your hands on a copy with dubbing, subtitles or both in your chosen language. Being familiar with the story means you already know what's going on, but you get to hear it in a different language. Your brain can then record the speech in context. Much more fun than learning boring stuff like, "Where is the train station?" to learn how to say, "Use the force, Luke"! It was a vital tool for me. Although keep in mind that you don't want to be mimicking antiquated speech too much... While it's fun, there isn't much practical use in learning how to speak like samurai. :D Especially if you're female, unfortunately.

Also listening to songs in your chosen language (and translating the lyrics so you comprehend the meaning) and learning those lyrics so you can sing along, is another great tool. Excellent listening practice and fluency (speed) practice.
An update :) I managed to get the DR (Danish state radio and tv) app to work with their recorded programmes, just not on the live feed. Unfortunately though it doesn't have the channels with all the famous British shows, but there are some interesting documentaries and other programmes. They are harder to understand than drama programmes as they speak more clearly and slowly in the drama shows, especially those that they want to sell outside of Denmark; but I am getting used to it. Danish songs they annunciate every word really clearly, even the rap music, so songs are easy to understand and work with. :)

Danish is the 'hardest' of the three according to most people and Danes can understand Norwegians and Swedes more easily than Swedes and Norwegians can understand Danes. Official Norwegian is very very similar to Danish but with different pronunciation and the odd different word here and there. I can do the shortcut tests on the Norwegian duolingo and pass quite easily because I know Danish. Swedish is different in some respects, it has a lot more of its own words and there are a few cases where the gender of a word differs in Swedish to it's equivalent in Danish. In the Scandi Germanic languages they have two genders, a combined m/f gender and a neutral one.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I'll add Danish to my language-to-learn list :D
I spend anything from 20 minutes a day to 3 hours a day on Duolingo. They do add new words and phrases to the duolingo courses from time to time, and I am still learning new words and figuring out new rules from it, so it is worth it to keep using Duolingo.
I used to learn German and Italian with Duolingo, but I think it doesn't suit me. It asked me to repeat the same sentences over and over again but I still couldn't remember the new words or grammar. So I went back to books again.
Actually, that is something to take advantage of, I find. If there is a film or TV show that you are familiar with (I know there are many other Aspies like me out there who like to watch the same things over and over :D) then try to get your hands on a copy with dubbing, subtitles or both in your chosen language. Being familiar with the story means you already know what's going on, but you get to hear it in a different language.
I know right? I've watched German-dubbed Interstellar and Kingsman. And now I'm watching My Little Pony in German (ya it's my favorite show....no judge plz). I learned a lot from them.
If you like these languages you have to see this :D (if you haven't already)

And every language nerd should play this game :D
Wow the design of the site is beautiful. Thx!
And the game is indeed fun, but unfortunately I know little about African and Indian languages so I only got 600 on first try.
Also second the "translating lyrics and singing along" - definitely my favourite method of learning. I picked up a lot of Japanese that way. Haven't found many Norwegian songs that I like though D:
Me too! I never listen to domestic songs but enjoy many foreign songs lol
This Norwegian song is pretty good. You can check it out :)
You mean sometimes you can make a correct sentence even though you don't really remember the grammar stuff?
Ya I do have similar sensation! Very useful for language learning~

Yeah Duolingo isn't for everyone :) I would say though that after a while with it you do start to pick up the grammar and spelling rules, just through getting certain things wrong and right. At least with the Scandinavian languages, that is. German the grammar is far more complex and maybe beyond the scope of Duolingo.

Libecht Yes! I love that song! :D And TSFH is one of my favourite artists so I was overjoyed to see them do a Norwegian song.

As for Duolingo, I can definitely say that the text to speech for Norwegian is quite different from how people actually speak. The way individual syllables are pronounced are fine but it is lacking with the intonations in phrases and sentences (you know the thing that makes people describe Norwegian like singing) so I'm sure that if I tried to speak like that I would sound like an obvious robot.

English: Mother tongue
Italian: Intermediate ability to read it, mediocre ability to speak it
Latin: Intermediate ability to read it, little ability to speak it

Libecht Yes! I love that song! :D And TSFH is one of my favourite artists so I was overjoyed to see them do a Norwegian song.

As for Duolingo, I can definitely say that the text to speech for Norwegian is quite different from how people actually speak. The way individual syllables are pronounced are fine but it is lacking with the intonations in phrases and sentences (you know the thing that makes people describe Norwegian like singing) so I'm sure that if I tried to speak like that I would sound like an obvious robot.
Hmm interesting. The Danish is pretty accurate, pronunciation wise, for a Copenhagen accent. There is the odd word that sounds a little off-adding an extra 'i' at the beginning of some words when there isn't one, but think that is more due to how the speech was uploaded and encoded as opposed to how the voice artist really sounds. There are some dialect words only used by people in Jutland, when the Jutland accent is different but these are mentioned in the comments section on the desktop site.

The Welsh one is a bit annoying because the woman has a South wales accent, but most of the vocab is the North Welsh dialect, which differs quite a bit. While I prefer the North Welsh dialect and accent, just because it is more naturally familiar to me, most Welsh TV and movies are from the South, they have slang and shortened ways of saying things that don't appear to be in the Duolingo vocabulary at all; such as saying 'sain' for 'I don't/I'm not'.

New Threads

Top Bottom