• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is Your Least Favorite Sound?

nothing irks me more than the sound of anything clashing against each other. plates, bowls, and silverware to be more specific.

I once worked at a private language school, and one day the boss called me into her office and said that I needed to have my ears checked because apparently I wasn't hearing people when they talk to me. This was before I was aware of my autism.

This initially concerned me, because deafness runs in my family. But when I stopped to listen and analyze it, I realised that the problem was not that I can't hear well, but on the contrary, I can hear everything very loud and clear.

I think the problem is not that I don't hear people, but that I don't process everything that's going on around me and I can't switch focus easily, I can only deal with one thing at once.

- High pitched noises like certain screams or that annoying emergency alert notifications on cellphones. (But seriously, why does an Amber alert have to make you have a heart attack? Just send in a regular tone. I'll still look at it. Smh.)

- anything super loud like old engines, loud booming music, motorcycles, power saws, etc.

- smacking while eating. *shudder shudder*.

New Threads

Top Bottom