• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is Your Least Favorite Sound?

i agree with many of those named already; though my personal favorite is the high frequency hum of TV-sets with CRT [cathode ray tube] - used commonly for TV-sets before flat screen tech. - when displaying static noise with muted sound. second to that my least favorite visual is that of the static noise displayed on the screen. third to that it is the odor or gas that electrical current may produce - [to me] the stink of electrical devices - which is that one of ozone and nitrous oxide.

I don't think there is a particular least favourite - there are a few that all equally drive me insane.

- crying/screaming children
- scraping ie nails on chalkboards, knives and forks on plates
- high pitched loud noises such as fire alarms

Church bells because it flairs up my PTSD because I was abused at a church.

I admire your open and direct attitude. It expresses great strength of character - not many people may say so of themselves. please take pride in this trait. Even less understand what such a crime does to the soul - sadly, sometimes their disrespect of the victim is nearly as abusive as the crime itsself. It takes incredible effort, will, time, patience and determination to fight and heal PTSD, and you possess these virtues. I wish you lots strength for your current life and for your future.

I admire your open and direct attitude. It expresses great strength of character - not many people may say so of themselves. please take pride in this trait. Even less understand what such a crime does to the soul - sadly, sometimes their disrespect of the victim is nearly as abusive as the crime itsself. It takes incredible effort, will, time, patience and determination to fight and heal PTSD, and you possess these virtues. I wish you lots strength for your current life and for your future.
Thank you so much!

No idea. I lead a pretty sad life, so the more I don't focus on what I don't like.. the better. I really don't understand what the point of these types of topics are. Is it to vent or just be negative.. or perhaps both?

I'm not trying to sound rude, just stating my viewpoint on the matter.

As someone in the process of late life diagnosis looking for explanations or validation for various traits and oddities that have caused alienation and grief in social situations over the years, reading other's quirks and responses to these types of posts is actually helpful. What i have been shunned for feeling by NTs, which has resulted in me feeling inferior and depressed , is shared by others and knowing that helps.
I like not feeling alone about certain thoughts i have.

Omg, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates the sound of babies crying. People always think I'm heartless for that. It just really puts me on edge.

I'm not good with babies at all! Kids and toddlers, yes. They love me. But babies, no. I clearly have very bad maternal instincts, lol

Omg, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates the sound of babies crying. People always think I'm heartless for that. It just really puts me on edge.

I'm not good with babies at all! Kids and toddlers, yes. They love me. But babies, no. I clearly have very bad maternal instincts, lol

Yeah, I can't be near screaming kids for long as it just leaves me with a banging headache.

I'm very sensitive to high pitched sounds. I was surprised to not see my mortal enemy listed here:

The Electric Leaf Blower.

They're not so bad when they're new but once there's a bit of slop in their bearings they create harmonics that literally bring me to tears. It's like a metal spike being pushed through my brain.

High pitched voices.

I was on a plane once, seated just ahead of a woman with a small baby. I do understand, completely understand, the child can't adjust the pressure in it's eardrums during take off and there's nothing anyone can do to help. There was also nothing I could do about the pain in my head from the high pitched wails.

I looked out of the window as the tears streamed down my face and my body started to shiver with every new cry. Then the woman sitting next to me jabbed me in the ribs and said "Don't you think you're being a bit insensitive?".

Such is life. :)

I heard in a documentary I watched a while back that a baby's cry has evolved to be at that pitch so as to get attention and not to be ignored.

I'm so glad that ear plugs exist. If they hadn't been invented already, I would want to invent them!

I can hear things around me that others can not. My ENT and Audiologist informed me that my hearing is beyond the range of their state-of-the art Audiometric Sound Room and have classified me as having 'Golden Ears'. This may sound great to some, but to me it is a curse. I hear literally everything and it can not only be painful with the 'right' sound, but can be quite fatiguing as well. When I wear quality ear plugs that reduce sound by 32db, I am basically hearing what 'normal' people hear.

Biggest offenders are antiquated back-up-horns and small yappy dogs.

When I have a project on my property and large equipment has to be brought in, all back-up-horns are disconnected as per the contract. Zero exceptions.

Car alarms, especially if it either goes on for a long period of time, or it comes on, then is shut off, then comes on again.

Honestly, I have never met a single person, NT or not, whose first reaction to a car alarm going off is "Someone's breaking into that car". It's more like "Someone turn that damn thing off".

New Threads

Top Bottom